Why become a member? ×

Markbass VLE and VPF

Nicko

They are very useful indeed but should be used with discretion, especially the VPF and especially live. The VLE (Vintage Loudspeaker Emulator) gradually rolls off a wider and wider range of top-end for a more old-skool sound, while the VPF (Variable Pre-Shape Filter) will progressively Boost lows and highs, in effect giving you a mid-scooped sound. Though this makes the amp sound very nice when playing solo or at home, you definitely don't want to be scooping your mids in a live situation as you will not be heard.

It's important to note that both controls are only in the 'OFF' position when fully LEFT, and not at 12 o'clock.

They are a major selling point of Markbass amps. When I had a Markbass, I set the EQ controls flat and got all the sounds I needed using only the VLE and VPF filters. You can get an amazing combination of tones just by using the filters and nothing else.

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1453127682' post='2956588'] ...you definitely don't want to be scooping your mids in a live situation as you will not be heard.
[/quote]

In most cases I'd agree, but it depends on the band. In my band there is no keys, but there are two guitars - their owners use very clean, clear "jangly" tones and so the bass has a pretty big sonic space. Even with some mid-cut the bass comes through well. It should be used judiciously though, as you say. :)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1453127944' post='2956592']
In most cases I'd agree, but it depends on the band. In my band there is no keys, but there are two guitars - but their owners use very clean, clear "jangly" tones and so the bass has a pretty big sonic space. Even with some mid-cut the bass comes through well. It should be used judiciously though, as you say. :)
[/quote]

Yes, your mileage may vary. I should have said, '[i]I[/i] don't want to be scooping [i]my[/i] mids in a live situation'. ;)

I always used to use a bit of VLE just to make things sound smoother. The preamp on my new bass has a Vintage Tone Control which does the same thing so I've started using that instead. I've started experimenting with the VPF but, as Discreet says, they are best used sparingly.

Never use them. All done through the EQ. VPF is just a fancy name for a contour control, you'll lose your presence in the mix cranking that much above the off position. VLE just dulls everything. YMMV of course.

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1453132702' post='2956674']
VPF is just a fancy name for a contour control, you'll lose your presence in the mix cranking that much above the off position.
[/quote]

Pretty much - except it depends on the actual mix (as stated earlier). It can be useful almost as an effect, instead of having to change the bass, high mid, low mid and treble controls! Assuming you want a bit of scoop for a certain song...

Love my MB LMK always seem to use the VPF at 9 o'clock. habit but tried without and always come back to that setting. As a two channel amp I set the top channel VPF at 12 o'clock for funkier stuff and can just jump on foot pedal to swap over from finger style setting ( 9 o'clock) on the bottom EQ which also has slight cut on low mid to 11 o'clock. I use this for most playing. also boost upper mid and the high a smidgen when on the funky top EQ setting.

I use the Little Mark Rocker 500 and the only controls I use are the valve drive (for some grit) and the VLE & VPF filters.
The EQ is set flat and depending on the room a little of bass is rolled of or boosted.

The filters are the selling point of the amp and they are great, I'd be happy with just Gain-Drive-VLE-VPF-Master controls on my amp.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1453127682' post='2956588']
They are very useful indeed but should be used with discretion, especially the VPF and especially live. The VLE (Vintage Loudspeaker Emulator) gradually rolls off a wider and wider range of top-end for a more old-skool sound, while the VPF (Variable Pre-Shape Filter) will progressively Boost lows and highs, in effect giving you a mid-scooped sound. Though this makes the amp sound very nice when playing solo or at home, you definitely don't want to be scooping your mids in a live situation as you will not be heard.

It's important to note that both controls are only in the 'OFF' position when fully LEFT, and not at 12 o'clock.

They are a major selling point of Markbass amps. When I had a Markbass, I set the EQ controls flat and got all the sounds I needed using only the VLE and VPF filters. You can get an amazing combination of tones just by using the filters and nothing else.
[/quote]This. I do exactly the same on my Markbass amps.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1453127682' post='2956588']

[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1453124946' post='2956546']
Mine are set to off as I've never found these add anything to my sound. I reckon they should remove the circuits, offer this as a stomp option and make the amps cheaper. Discuss....
[/quote]

Well they did some of that, but i looks like people just want the full set of knobs, even if most of us dont use them all.

[url="http://www.markbass.it/product_detail.php?id=117&markbass=Discontinued"]http://www.markbass.it/product_detail.php?id=117&markbass=Discontinued[/url]

Im another user who leaves the EQ flat and mainly uses the two filters. Not too much, but these are the things that have kept me with MB over the past 7 or so years.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1453124946' post='2956546']
Mine are set to off as I've never found these add anything to my sound. I reckon they should remove the circuits, offer this as a stomp option and make the amps cheaper. Discuss....
[/quote]

They already have - it's the new Nano :)

http://www.markbass.it/product_detail.php?id=250

Ok, so it's only a 300w head and has some other differences but basically it does appear it was designed to be small, super light and with less features to get the price down.

• 1 month later...