Why become a member? ×

Replacement Pickups For a 1970's Avon Jazz Bass

AndrewR

Hi,

After languishing in the loft for several years, I have decided for sentimental reasons to restore my first bass. It is an Avon Jazz Bass copy. The bridge pickup has completely failed and the neck pickup is way down on output. I want to replace both, but they are of a type that is unusual. They resemble tele single coil pickups and have crome covers. Both are scured in the same way, the neck one to the underside of the scratch plate via three screws and springs, the bridge one to a rectangular plate. The pickups are about 65mm x 16mm in plan. The recesses that they fit in are about 80mm x 38mm with radiused ends.

I would like to obtain a pickup selection that fits in the original plates if possible, but this may not be possible? Also I would like if possible to have a bit more character in the sound.

I've attached some pictures (strings removed!), to help show the details.

My working bass is a Fender American Standard Precision, and I also have an Eiphone Rivoli, but the old Avon has a really good fast neck and a great action, hence my desire to restore it for occasional use. Let's say it doesn't owe me anything!

I'd agree; the simplest course would be to get the existing p/ups rewound by someone competent. I've a fellow in Germany who does this very well; there are surely many in the UK to whom you could entrust them..? This will retain the mechanical qualities of your bass as near to original as possible. He (she..?) could doubtless 'upgrade' the specification somewhat, if requested, by over-winding or replacing the magnets. Much better than trying to fit other p/ups, imo, and quite probably far less expensive, too.

I had one of these a while back. The pickups used on these basses are the same ones the Japanese manufacturer (Chushin Gakki, likely) put in their Tele copies - they're not a specific bass pickup.

One of he pickups on mine was dud, I simply took the coil out of a cheapo Tele pickup (which was slightly smaller) and popped it into the case from the Avon. It didn't exactly sound awesome - but then, neither did the original!

If I was going to hot-rod one of these to use as a gigging bass, I'd probably consider a pair of Artec mini bass humbuckers:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Artec-Mini-Humbucker-Violin-Bass-Bridge-Pickup-Chrome-/371531876119"]http://www.ebay.co.u...e-/371531876119[/url]

You'd need to modify the scratchplate/bridge pup surround but I think they'd fit the body routing. They are 4 conductor so you could wire them with push/pull pots for single coil/out-of-phase options.

Jon.

Thanks again everybody for your useful suggestions. I've contacted Allan at Catswhisker and asked him to make replacements, with some tweaking to the sound. I'm also planning to replace the bridge to get a better contact between the strings and the body. Decided to go for a Babicz Full Contact unit, which hopefully will help with a fuller sound and an improvement in tone. I'll let you all know the results when the pickups arrive and I have replaced the bridge!

• 1 month later...

The finished result! Pickups rewound and pottd by Allan at Catswhisker Pickups. Really great job Allan. I have also replaced the old rusty bridge with a Babicz Full Contact unit and re-strung with fresh Elites. The guitar plays a dream - great to have the old friend back and working after many years. The unusual tele type pickups give a very distinctive sound and though slightly lower in output than the one on my American Standard Precision, they certainly have plenty of headroom howeve, and cranking the amp up does not produce any noticeable background noise. The bridge unit is particularly good and full of tone. I'd also forgotten how smooth and fast the neck is on this old girl, a real joy to play.

All I need now is the "Avon Rose Morris Japan" headstock badge to complete. This was always missing from when I bought the bass secondhand in the late 1970's - anyone know where I can get hold of one of these badges?

[quote name='AndrewR' timestamp='1456587223' post='2990540']

All I need now is the "Avon Rose Morris Japan" headstock badge to complete. This was always missing from when I bought the bass secondhand in the late 1970's - anyone know where I can get hold of one of these badges?
[/quote]

You may be able to get one of these 3D printed.

• 7 months later...