Why become a member? ×

Phil Jones Bass Ear-box

woodster

Done two gigs so far with it and to be honest on both occasions I was unaware of anything coming out of it unless I lent right into it, but to be fair, both very small stages so standing right up close to my amp so no problem hearing it. Does sound really good up close to the earbox though,detailed and crystal clear which was useful at some points. Having said all that, my overall sound did seem better than usual, clearer and more defined so maybe there is something in it. It just wasn't how I expected it to work I suppose. Next weeks gig is a pub we've done half a dozen times and I've struggled every time with my sound there so that will be a good test.

[quote name='djc63' timestamp='1480542398' post='3185341']
Done two gigs so far with it and to be honest on both occasions I was unaware of anything coming out of it unless I lent right into it, but to be fair, both very small stages so standing right up close to my amp so no problem hearing it. Does sound really good up close to the earbox though,detailed and crystal clear which was useful at some points. Having said all that, my overall sound did seem better than usual, clearer and more defined so maybe there is something in it. It just wasn't how I expected it to work I suppose. Next weeks gig is a pub we've done half a dozen times and I've struggled every time with my sound there so that will be a good test.
[/quote] The pub test you are going to do is probably the most useful. A real common bass nightmare situation that the IEM fans already have a solution for. £500.00 for the decent IEMs that do the job or just under £200.00 for the Earbox.....

[quote name='bassjim' timestamp='1480602735' post='3185766']
The pub test you are going to do is probably the most useful. A real common bass nightmare situation that the IEM fans already have a solution for. £500.00 for the decent IEMs that do the job or just under £200.00 for the Earbox.....
[/quote]

Carefully shopped for UE900s (quad drive, dual lows, mid and treble balanced armatures - compared to a single dynamic driver Shure 215 that a lot of people plump for) and a headphone amp would come in circa £200.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1480605896' post='3185791']
The problem with using IEMs at a pub gig is not the £500.

It's the endless succession of regulars asking you why you were listening to your mp3 player while you were supposed to be gigging ...
[/quote]

Leave them in and you won't even hear the punters asking you anything.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1480610632' post='3185852']
Leave them in and you won't even hear the punters asking you anything.
[/quote]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Depends whether you're listening to Coldplay or Metallica, I guess. [/font][/color]

• 3 weeks later...

I've just bought one for our drummer for small gigs with no drum monitor.
He's absolutely thrilled with it.
It's on a round heavy base mic stand about 2 feet away from him at ear level.
He no longer has to put up with just the muddy bass frequencies when my bass cabs are facing forward.
Maybe Phil Jones has missed this as a selling point!
I use a Phil Jones M500 head and two 8B cabs.

Edited by Andy J B

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...