Why become a member? ×

Phil Jones Bass Ear-box

woodster

Guest bassman7755

4x10s are horridly directional, I'd certainly never use one these days. I guess that box is a good idea but in a wallpapering-over-cracks kind of way, if I were you I'd consider swapping the 4x10 for two end-on-end stacked 2x10s, it would improve the audability and balance of the sound for everyone: you, other band members and the audience.

Edited by bassman7755

I'm a real whore for PJB kit, and I love the look of this. I already use a mic-stand-mounted vocal monitor which will take a Line In feed from my electric bass rig if I wish to add that (a WPM-1 since you ask), but this would be a very cool addition to my DB rig.

As with all PJB stuff it ain't cheap, but I'd be willing to bet that it's bloody high-quality and very effective.

Phil says it should be sub $200 so even with the US equipment exchange rate of £1 = $1 it should be reasonable.
I've been considering a change to two 1x12s for more flexibility (and my aging back) but this still seems like a cool but of kit.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1453325400' post='2958546']
It's a lot less work and expense to simply tilt your cab back so you can hear the mids and highs.
[/quote]

Of course it is, but where's the retail therapy in that :)
I use a PJB Suitcase and 4b extension cab all sat on top of folding 'hop up' thing so the sound is up there already. I only use it for monitoring as I go through the PA anyway but this might be nice to get a bit more clarity if I move forward on the stage, as I get more guitarists through the floor monitors. Just thought if this was mounted near the front it might be of use.

• 7 months later...

It's a bit Mickey Mouse. IMO.

A little active monitor like this would likely do a much better job: https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/TITAN8BLACK/active-pa-speakers/b-stock-wharfedale-titan-8a-powered-pa-speaker-in-black

Edited by stevie

I wasn't suggesting putting the whole bass signal through it, MoonBase. The Phil Jones box has two 2.5-inch drivers in it and that's not going to go very loud without highpassing. In fact it only works from about 1kHz up. The active version of the Titan I linked to has tone controls - so you would just adjust the bass control as needed.

Edited by stevie

• 2 months later...

Hmm. Pessimist as I am, I can't really get past my initial thought on this: PJB are taking advantage of their own loyal customers with this. I personally cannot think of any situation where having a little speaker on a stand next to you on stage is the best solution to hearing yourself. Have your bass stacked up to ear level, tilt a small cab up at you, IEMs etc. £180 a pop for these, no no no.

All IMO, of course :)

The frequency Response: 250 Hz – 20 KHz

According to reviews, the bigger issue is that it has next to zero impact on the impedance if your amp/speakers.

Should address the issues of definition when using cabs that are much lower than my ears (I'm 6'1"). Should work in a similar concept to the Bose Acoustimass idea.

Mine is due to arrive next week (from Thomann). Will let you know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...