Why become a member? ×

VB99

ped

Hi guys

After using the original Vbass for a number of years I have recently upgraded to the VB99.

I've copied across my 'clean' sounds and really enjoying the synths; they're much more 'musical' than the old unit and really usable. Being able to use two together is just great..

I wondered if anyone else here uses one as I have a couple of questions regarding the USB end of things specifically recording with the unit.

I'll try and upload some samples ASAP!

Cheers
ped

[url="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/pedullaman/media/IMG_9219_zps0dpcm378.jpg.html"][/url]

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1453159102' post='2957079']
I have one, although not tried recording with it. Used USB for laptop controller software - brilliant! :-)
[/quote]

Hi, good to know. However I don't think Roland have released support for OSX El Capitan yet or Windows 10?

I think the GR55 is the only GK system still in production which is a shame, maybe wait a bit and see if they do a VB100! I wonder...

I don't use MIDI but might have a play with it now I've worked out the USB stuff. Could be fun but latency might put me off.

I have actually been pretty impressed with how good they have got. I had quite a few of the older ones (mostly on the guitar) and impressed at what has improved. I have just put a GK3B on a G&L L2500, and very surprised on the tracking on the B string.

I haven't looked at the MIDI output yet, to see if it was any better than the GR33, the midi of that is pretty messy, it starts out on one note and then pitch bends to the right one a lot.

Would love to get a VB99 (or maybe a VB999), but I guess it was always a niche for them.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1453225806' post='2957633']
I think the GR55 is the only GK system still in production which is a shame, maybe wait a bit and see if they do a VB100! I wonder...

[/quote]

I just spoke to Roland UK, who confirmed the VB-99 to be discontinued. Sadly nothing in the pipeline, so the best current one is the GR-55 and GK-3b.

On another note, I've just been having some fun with the VB-99 as an effects unit - bass pugged in as normal rather than 13-pin into the modelling side. Excellent quality in there, esp. the modulation part of things, where you can use 3 different modulations in series (should you wish!).
Onwards and upwards!

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1454419580' post='2969535']
I just spoke to Roland UK, who confirmed the VB-99 to be discontinued. Sadly nothing in the pipeline, so the best current one is the GR-55 and GK-3b.

On another note, I've just been having some fun with the VB-99 as an effects unit - bass pugged in as normal rather than 13-pin into the modelling side. Excellent quality in there, esp. the modulation part of things, where you can use 3 different modulations in series (should you wish!).
Onwards and upwards!
[/quote]

Indeed, I'm hoping to get a guitar and rather than get a VG99 right away, use the VB99 with the standard jack. I've been delving into the synths more and more and the flexibility is quite daunting, I spent literally a whole day customising a square wave filter. One of the best days ever.

I'll post some clips ASAP as I'm 99% sure now that my main settings (clean, jazz, precision, stingray, stink synth) are sorted.

• 2 weeks later...

OK well I've recorded a very basic sample, with some caveats:

- levels aren't right, haven't played with that yet!
- EQ also a bit boomy in places but I'll work out how to use Garageband properly one day
- Playing is sloppy because well I'm crap but I wasn't comfortable and slipped off my perch at the end
- I don't know how to fade out yet so it just cuts off!!

Best to turn up and use headphones!!

However here you can hear my clean, Jazz and Stringray sounds

https://soundcloud.com/chris-hiscocks/vb99-demo-clean-jazz-musicman

Still a work in progress but I'm 99% there with these presets.

Cheers
ped

[quote name='NoirBass' timestamp='1455705251' post='2981565']
The Stingray sound on the VB-99 is excellent. I'm still not quite sold in the Jazz bass modelling, but then my hex pickup is on a Jazz so I can just use the dry signal.
[/quote]

My Jazz Bass model is a copy of David Barard's Sadowsky sound with Dr. John - have a listen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWTAekIQecg

As you can hear it's a fairly specific Jazz Bass sound. I'm still making a standard jazz patch and working on the Precision one. I'm 100% convinced that if you spend long enough you can make ANYTHING you want with this unit!