Why become a member? ×

Zoom B3 Development?

Skybone

I know there's a lot of "love" for the Zoom B3, but is there anyone else who thinks that it could do with the same development that our guitar playing friends have received?

Zoom provide the guitarists with the choice of the G3, the G3X (built in expression pedal) & the G5 (expression pedal, pre-amp valve & up to 9 effects in a chain). To get anywhere near that, you would at least need to buy the FP02M expression pedal, and possibly another B3.

Surely it would not take too much development from Zoom to do bass versions of the G3X & G5, as I would imagine that the chassis & hardware (motherboard etc) already exist, and the software would only need minor tweaks to give us bass players a seriously flexible unit.

Your thoughts?

Should we petition Zoom? :D

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1453389146' post='2959054']
Wasn't this discussed some time ago. I think i remember reading something like the B3 couldn't be updated to a B5 beacuse of the processor's capacity. I think it was something to do with the bass signal using more resources to be processed.
[/quote]

That's true. As the bass signal is way more dynamic, Zoom felt that they wouldn't want the processor to ever want to run out of steam trying to run two more effects at once, and the looper, and the drum machine.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1453389437' post='2959060']
That's true. As the bass signal is way more dynamic, Zoom felt that they wouldn't want the processor to ever want to run out of steam trying to run two more effects at once, and the looper, and the drum machine.
[/quote]

The B1Xon can use 5 effects simultaneously and also has a looper and drum machine... I think it had an upgraded processor over the B3. you'd think they could do a B3.1 or even a B3.1X with the processor from the B1Xon .

I never understood why they didn't enable Edit'n'Share on the MS60B or the B1Xon.... it would have been really useful on the smaller format units.

[quote name='stoo' timestamp='1453397090' post='2959173']
The B1Xon can use 5 effects simultaneously and also has a looper and drum machine... I think it had an upgraded processor over the B3. you'd think they could do a B3.1 or even a B3.1X with the processor from the B1Xon .

I never understood why they didn't enable Edit'n'Share on the MS60B or the B1Xon.... it would have been really useful on the smaller format units.
[/quote]

In reality, it's not an upgraded processor - it's actually downgraded software on the same processor.

[quote name='stoo' timestamp='1453397090' post='2959173']

[/quote]
[quote name='dood' timestamp='1453410298' post='2959358']
In reality, it's not an upgraded processor - it's actually downgraded software on the same processor.
[/quote]

dood is right - it is the same processor, with more careful attention to processor resource allocation. I suspect that's part of why Edit & Share support was dropped - to eliminate another overhead. In spite of that, some - in fact, most - of the E & S stuff is still buried in the firmware for the MS-60B and B1on. I've used this to develop the controller described in another thread - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/275453-zoom-b3-ms-60b-b1on-usb-control/"]http://basschat.co.u...on-usb-control/[/url] . I'll also be releasing a patch sharing/backup program - Really Soon Now - which will talk to the newer pedals.

[quote name='drdashdot' timestamp='1453436307' post='2959502']
dood is right - it is the same processor, with more careful attention to processor resource allocation. I suspect that's part of why Edit & Share support was dropped - to eliminate another overhead. In spite of that, some - in fact, most - of the E & S stuff is still buried in the firmware for the MS-60B and B1on. I've used this to develop the controller described in another thread - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/275453-zoom-b3-ms-60b-b1on-usb-control/"]http://basschat.co.u...on-usb-control/[/url] . I'll also be releasing a patch sharing/backup program - Really Soon Now - which will talk to the newer pedals.
[/quote]

Wow - that's some impressive work there!

Some cool responses.

Surely, if they can upgrade the G3 to the G5, did they use the same processor for both?

For me, a B5 unit would be ideal, I could have my amp setup (amp model > EQ/Reverb > Dirt) and then a couple of switchable effects in addition. Guess I'll have to keep my eye's peeled for either another B3 or something along the lines of another unit (Bass Pod xt Live?).

I asked Zoom about the possibility of a B5 and also asked them about the MS100BT to see whether they might ever do Android software for it. No to both (the latter certainly surprised me, you'd think that they'd do something about the fact that they're ignoring 50% of the market). Never say never though.