Why become a member? ×

Arco Newbie

gapiro

Ahoy
I've recently acquired a DB and have been practising a bit of pizz, but have completely failed to find a classical teacher nearby (who has spots available).
I'm booked in to do a local am dram with a friendly MD of mine and there are a lot of upright parts Including a fair bit of arco. Now I can get away with playing it on bass guitar (this is not a problem) but I would really prefer to do the upright parts either on my DB or EDB .
So realistically, is it possible for me to get good enough at arco to play a musical in april? The parts are very little other than semi breve's and minim's for arco. I have a both a french and german bow ( french is an unknown one, german is a thomann carbon, both cost me nothing) and a pot of nymans. The nymans appears to be rock solid and all that happens when I try to apply to the bow is that it either chips off, or leaves lumps on the strings, or the hairs start to break.
Any tips etc would be appreciated - am I out of my mind (essentially trying to learn from youtube), or should I be able to at least hold a few notes by that point, good enough to not humiliate myself (in front of the other strings players)!
(The orchestra is a 6 piece band, with a cello/violin as well as drum/guitar/piano)
Also should I aim to use the EDB or the DB? I am more comfortable on the EDB as I've been playing it for rockabilly for a couple of years.

First things first - buy a new cake of rosin! That'll eliminate one thing from the list of doubts in your mind! Nymans, Pops, Kolstein, whatever.

Next, find a video on Youtube that gives you somewhere to start with holding the bow. Personally, I'd go with the French bow to start. I think it's easier for a beginner. Then give it a go! Try to use the weight of your arm rather than pressing the bow on the string, and keep everything - EVERYTHING - as relaxed as possible.

Have fun!

Find a good teacher even if it means you have to make a serious effort to go for a lesson. Get yourself a full length mirror to practice in front of. Make sure your strings, bow hair and rosin are up to the job and not holding you back or fighting you.

Local amateur classical orchestras might be worth investigating - the more experienced players might be willing to give you some pointers, or know who the best teachers are in reasonable travelling distance. At the very least, anyone who is good enough to play in a section should be able to help you identify whether there are serious problems with your bow hair or string choice that need sorting out to give you a fighting chance.

big list of amateur and community orchestras near you can be found here
http://www.amateurorchestras.org.uk/oeanglia.htm

Good luck and enjoy.