Why become a member? ×

Boss ES-5

Defo

If it's anything like the ES-8, and it seems it is - then definitely yes. There's absolutely nothing in the design of this that locks you into Boss. Perfectly usable with any type of pedal, and with the MIDI capabilities and flexible routing - quite a powerful tool.

For me it's kind of meh... Only 5 loops? Surely they're joking... Can't even begin to consider this useful... Also, a limitation of the ES-8 which does not seem to have been resolved here is that it contains only one (or possibly two?) mixers with fixed gain (for mixing the single stereo parallel loop or two mono parallel routes).

My Sound-Sculpture Switchblade 8F is better in almost every respect (at least for my use). Fully flexible 8-way routing with variable gains. Small foot print. Good MIDI implementation. I love it.

Edited by ProfFrink

These seam to have a massive footprint for just turning pedals on/off. these kind of pedals really need to either have a much smaller footprint (just patch change switches/midi control only) or have allot more utility (blending/feedback/ability to change pedal order in chain).

Guess they're just not for me.

FWIW, the pedal-order is fully flexible, and you can blend 2 pairs of inputs (at least this is for the ES-8, the user-guide of I studied pretty intently - according to the blurb the ES-5 is similar (possibly with only one pair of inputs blendable - not sure).

So:
change pedal-order - yes
(limited but good for most practical purposes) parallel chains - yes
Feedback -no

and it does look like the ES-5 is slimmer than the ES-8.

But if your looking to spend this kind of cash on routing - do take a look at the Switchblade 8F

Okay, much more usefull than i thought then. The switchblade does look more like what i had thought of, if i end up going fully midi controlled i may get one and mount it under a board with my power supply. That or rack mount the whole thing, and just use a midimouse or similar on the floor.

I would miss knob twiddling if i went for a rack mounted system though.

Motorizing knobs... Wow! This is literally and pun-intended, thinking outside the box :-)

Too much of a hassle for my taste, but GigRig customers seem to like the hassle (look at their power systems :-)

Regarding the Switchblade - yes, actually mounting it _under_ my board is something I never fully considered... Hmm... I guess it sort of requires a MIDI-controller with a real display, but sounds like a very good way to save some more real-estate... Got some measuring to do...

[quote name='ProfFrink' timestamp='1453310080' post='2958347']
Regarding the Switchblade - yes, actually mounting it _under_ my board is something I never fully considered... Hmm... I guess it sort of requires a MIDI-controller with a real display, but sounds like a very good way to save some more real-estate... Got some measuring to do...
[/quote]
OK, I measured this, and there's no way to mount this under a Novo (unless you add some height to the front, which I really don't want to).

Still a very useful piece of gear.

• 9 months later...

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1453291893' post='2958095']
These seam to have a massive footprint for just turning pedals on/off. these kind of pedals really need to either have a much smaller footprint (just patch change switches/midi control only) or have allot more utility (blending/feedback/ability to change pedal order in chain).

Guess they're just not for me.
[/quote]

The things my es-8 can do make up for the room it takes up, plus the ease of changing from sounds and the midi control

Andy

• 2 weeks later...