Why become a member? ×

Darkglass Microtubes Head

Daz39

[quote name='Westenra' timestamp='1476530556' post='3154989']
Talking about that Patrick video? I've wondered too why it's so flappy! Lovely colour jazz too.
[/quote]

I think it's a trick of the eye due to camera shutter speed, in the same way wheels spinning on tv look like they spin backwards at a certain speed....

D.

I was thinking here. Clearly there's been a lot of thought gone into the design of these heads but there's one thing that always seems to be overlooked; put a freaking tuner in it somehow!

I know the case is (quite probably) filled with all manner of amplifier and pre-stage goodiness, but how dreamy would it be to just have an [i]always on[/i] tuner on the top of it? Just a little window say 4cm x 8cm. It's not really meant to be racked, so howabout squeezing in an LCD display similar to the top half of a Boss TU3? Then it truly becomes a one box gigging unit. Call it the 900T and take my money, dammit. Christ, it would be a dream to just leave the house with just bass, couple of cables, the head and cabinet.

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1476542166' post='3155093']
I was thinking here. Clearly there's been a lot of thought gone into the design of these heads but there's one thing that always seems to be overlooked; put a freaking tuner in it somehow!

I know the case is (quite probably) filled with all manner of amplifier and pre-stage goodiness, but how dreamy would it be to just have an [i]always on[/i] tuner on the top of it? Just a little window say 4cm x 8cm. It's not really meant to be racked, so howabout squeezing in an LCD display similar to the top half of a Boss TU3? Then it truly becomes a one box gigging unit. Call it the 900T and take my money, dammit. Christ, it would be a dream to just leave the house with just bass, couple of cables, the head and cabinet.
[/quote]

I've always wondered why more amps don't have tuners built in. I'm pretty sure a good quality built in tuner would not cost much internal or external real estate. And tuner tech is pretty advanced and isn't expensive anymore.
I think many companies don't bother as it adds costs and they assume people already have a dedicated tuner.
It would be nice to see on higher end amps a decent built in tuner.
If we are sold on smaller and lighter amps being more convienent then surely they could market the fact its even more convienent due to the in built tuner, one less thing to carry.

I absolutely agree........ however

Having trawled through several Darkglass threads the design ethic seems to be to produce a product that is serviceable and upgradeable. something that is lacking in a lot of Class D amplification. From a business point of view unfortunately a tuner is another component to go wrong that has to be addressed under warranty so I would imagine as a first run product it would be a calculable risk to incorporate third party tech.

This is probably for another thread but the insistence on being in tune does not shift musical gear..... we all work with guitarists don't we........ but in a perfect world it would be amazing to have a quality comp and tuner built into the product ( and wireless, filter, reverb,chorus and octave)

I've ordered one.....its the most excited i've been about bass related product in a long time.

Doug has said (and I am paraphrasing) that he wants to make gear nobody else makes. He even cancelled a pedal that was too my like other pedals on the market. Even though they where pretty far along with the design. Making an amp with a tuner really doesn't seem like him, to me. Lots of companies make tuners. Several make amps with tuners. I doubt Darkglass ever will.

If I want minimalist I take a Korg Pitchjack, plugged into the amp Tuner Out socket. That is not going to work with the 900. For gigs a stomp box tuner is worth the extra complexity imho so it is not a problem. Any design is a set of compromises as Doug has made clear.

Edited by DBerriff

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1476526317' post='3154957']
I`ve never seen an E string flap so much, it was flappier than a flappy thing.
[/quote]

Its the "helicopter on film" effect, you know, where the blades appear to be moving in slow motion. This is due to the phase effect of the the video framerate and the frequency of thing you see moving. You do have to use a video camera with a very fast aperture though otherwise it just looks blurred, I'm guessing this was done deliberately to get that effect.

I did mention earlier in this thread it was very ambitious of Andertons to have such an early delivery date as Doug had already said to me they were completely backlogged until the end of November, so that date certainly makes sense. BD haven't had their first stock yet AFAIK, so Id try them :)

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1476542166' post='3155093']

[/quote]

Why sell people a tuner if they already have one?

I am trying to have everything on my pedalboard so I can use any amp.

Got my M900 from Andertons monday. Tested at home at almost gig volume with my Unicorn 2104 cab 1000W with Faital speakers. Clear and loud with many sound options and a touch breakup with the VMT/BK3. Eager to test drive at tonights rehearsal with my 4 ohm EBS cabs, 410 Neoline and 210 Proline.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1476866377' post='3157826']
Can this thing do super hifi clean too? (Obviously bypassing all the overdrive stuff)
[/quote]
Not EBS hifi clean. I have a Reidmar 750 and a Streamliner 600, both have the treble/bright at 10/12 Khz as the M900 have the treble break at 5Khz. So if you have the typical EBS glitter string sound in mind I have to say...not really.

Edited by ursus

[quote name='ursus' timestamp='1476867147' post='3157837']
Not EBS hifi clean. I have a Reidmar 750 and a Streamliner 600, both have the treble/bright at 10/12 Khz as the M900 have the treble break at 5Khz. So if you have the typical EBS glitter string sound in mind I have to say...not really.
[/quote]
Well... that's saved me some money :)