Why become a member? ×

Darkglass Microtubes Head

Daz39

[quote name='Daz39' timestamp='1476879952' post='3158013']
I have a tuner - don't need one in an amp. More to go wrong!
[/quote]

I've got tuners too, but the thing is, this head could truly offer (me) a one box solution; a built in tuner, irrespective of its quality, becomes of one less thing to carry.

Don't most bands try to use the same brand of tuners or is that a practice that has faded away - I'm sure some brands used to tune to ever so slightly different frequencies so the logic was that if you wanted to all be the same you needed the same tuners. Having a tuner in your amp would make that difficult. Plus it'd be annoying to have it on top of your cabs as it's difficult to see - maybe as an lcd screen on the switching pedal but that's making it more technical again...

Order sadly cancelled.... Not due to a lack of faith in the product but uncertain delivery time..

It's another interesting example of failing business models. Over eager distributors promising product which supplier cannot keep up with.

It has meant I went back to my B3k at rehearsal this week and realised how great it was..... But has also resulted in me avoiding this iteration of Dark Glasses amp...... Still they'll sell bucket loads of them once everything kicks in.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1477061723' post='3159631']
What's the rush? I always wait with new amps to see if any kinks need ironing out.
[/quote]

....you are familiar with GAS, right? ;)

I have complete faith in Doug and the team, which is why I was happy to receive one of the first in the country. I know if it has any issues, they will be sorted.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1477066114' post='3159682']

....you are familiar with GAS, right? ;)

I have complete faith in Doug and the team, which is why I was happy to receive one of the first in the country. I know if it has any issues, they will be sorted.
[/quote]

Aye, but I realised its a vicious circle that never stops haha!

Mine arrived yesterday, opening the box im impressed, it oozes quality,all the switched and knobs feel substantial and of a high standard.
Plugging in my Xylem with everything flat and running through a barefaced super12t the tone shines through.
this amp is capable of some very clean bright tones more so than i expected which i am very happy about.
engaging the Microtubes engine is a delight giving so many tonal options, i cant wait to drive this properly on sunday in rehearsal and see how it sits in a full band mix.

[quote name='nash' timestamp='1477942620' post='3165439']
Seriously considering buying one of these. Does it have the weight of tone similar to a class A solid state?
[/quote]

I haven't had lots of time testing it yet, but at least in some tonal ranges (lots of mid), the M900 approaches my Mesa Carbine M9 in behaviour. They aren't the same, but considering that I really like having a Darkglass preamp in front of my M9 normally, the M900 is going to be my lightweight amp for when the M9 isn't practical to shlepp.

The M900 is punchy, loud, quick. The M9 is too, but somewhat gnarlier in a smoother, more organic, way, with the gain cranked up. The M900 is edgier, and will clip at very high volumes in a way the M9 doesn't. (But all class D do?) Two great amps. And then I haven't taken the Darkglass preamp effects into account yet. I

If I can only add something small to a backline, the it will be a Darkglass B7K. If I can bring a whole rig it will probably include the M9, but the M900 can do both, and really well too I think.

Edited by bjelkeman

[quote name='bjelkeman' timestamp='1477949239' post='3165524']
I haven't had lots of time testing it yet, but at least in some tonal ranges (lots of mid), the M900 approaches my Mesa Carbine M9 in behaviour. They aren't the same, but considering that I really like having a Darkglass preamp in front of my M9 normally, the M900 is going to be my lightweight amp for when the M9 isn't practical to shlepp.

The M900 is punchy, loud, quick. The M9 is too, but somewhat gnarlier in a smoother, more organic, way, with the gain cranked up. The M900 is edgier, and will clip at very high volumes in a way the M9 doesn't. (But all class D do?) Two great amps. And then I haven't taken the Darkglass preamp effects into account yet. I

If I can only add something small to a backline, the it will be a Darkglass B7K. If I can bring a whole rig it will probably include the M9, but the M900 can do both, and really well too I think.
[/quote]

Interesting. I just bought an Mesa M6 the other month. I have have been using it with the B3K and Darkglass Duality with good to great results. The M900 might be a good call for the same reason, though I just bought the M6 for situations when my Trace Elliot V6 is impractical, though to be fair a 400 watt valve amp is pretty much impractical in just about every situation.

• 2 weeks later...