Why become a member? ×

Toadworks Mr Squishy

niceguyhomer

Like a complete tow-rag, I thought I could get along without a compressor and sold my EBS Multicomp. Big mistake. Anyway, I'm gonna buy something new this week to replace it and wondered if anyone had any experience of Mr Squishy.

The reviews I've read seem favourable and at £95, it's £40 cheaper than the EBS.

Yeh yeh...I hear what your saying Joe and I agree but I have a real problem getting my head 'round the notion of spending £130+ on something I sold last week for £75. It's not the money, I just think if I get something else I won't feel like a tw*t and want to decapitate myself.

Edited by niceguyhomer

If you liked the Multicomp, you probably won't like the Mr. Squishy. It's more old school and isn't as transparent as the multicomp. I had an EBS multicomp, sold it, bought a Toadworks Mr. Squishy and eventually bought another multicomp.

If you want a Mr. Squishy, I can sell you mine for £45 ^_^

Old School = Vintage

I believe the Mr Squishy is based on the old Orange Squeeze Compressor which can give soem quite punchy and percussive sounds but isn't all that hi-fi.

I have a bass modded Tone Factor Pulp Mill that is a cross between a more hi-fi comp and the old orange squeeze and you can blend between the 2.

I replaced my Multicomp with a rackmount Rane DC24 which is way way better but its a totally different item really especially if you're after a pedal.

I'd be quite confident I could do a gig with my Pulp Mill.

Let me know if you wanna borrow it to give it a test drive as these also work out cheaper than the Multicomp and personally I feel I get better highs from it.

Hello Steve,

Being and old tw*t, I realise old school = vintage but I don't know what that means in terms of compression. I understand 'old school' when it comes to tone but I don't understand the concept of old school compression.

I think it'll be at least 3 weeks before I stop kicking myself for selling the Multicomp.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='29686' date='Jul 10 2007, 12:17 PM']Hello Steve,

Being and old tw*t, I realise old school = vintage but I don't know what that means in terms of compression. I understand 'old school' when it comes to tone but I don't understand the concept of old school compression.

I think it'll be at least 3 weeks before I stop kicking myself for selling the Multicomp.[/quote]

Same sort of thing the concept of it is the same as a lot of older amps like the SVT's etc people want to sound like they did back in the 60's and 70's so a EBS MUlticomp won't achieve this as it is much more hifi. A Ross clone or Orange Squeeze clone will. Generally tonewise old school compression is hard to explain, generally its more of an effect than just limiting like Tony Levin uses an Orange Squeeze clone to get those very percussive tones he gets with Peter Gabriel it also got that vintage mojo/vibe to it bit of treble roll off smooth I don't know how to describe it really but my Jazz with Flats if I crank my OS Clone it can cop those motown soundsd whereas I could never do that with the Demeter, Rane, EBS etc etc.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='29625' date='Jul 10 2007, 10:36 AM']Like a complete tow-rag, I thought I could get along without a compressor and sold my EBS Multicomp. Big mistake. Anyway, I'm gonna buy something new this week to replace it and wondered if anyone had any experience of Mr Squishy.

The reviews I've read seem favourable and at £95, it's £40 cheaper than the EBS.[/quote]

If you like the EBS Multicomp, I think you should try the Aphex Punch Factory or the BBE Opto Stomp. They both go for about £85...

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='29698' date='Jul 10 2007, 12:39 PM']If you like the EBS Multicomp, I think you should try the Aphex Punch Factory or the BBE Opto Stomp. They both go for about £85...[/quote]

Actually, these guys are selling the BBE for less than £65 shipped new???
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BBE-Opto-Stomp-stomp-box-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ320128838258QQihZ011QQcategoryZ22669QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BBE-Opto-Stomp-stomp...VQQcmdZViewItem[/url]

Edited by 1976fenderhead

That BBE jobby's had some very good reviews - found them for £54 here; [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BBE-Opto-Stomp-stomp-box-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ320128838258QQihZ011QQcategoryZ22669QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViwItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BBE-Opto-Stomp-stomp...VQQcmdZViewItem[/url]