Why become a member? ×

New preamp by GK!

1976fenderhead

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1461606343' post='3036109']
I don't see what's so confusing, it's a preamp. The XLR in the front saves board space. It has a switch for overdrive and another for compressor, hold the compressor switch and you get a tuner. It has send/return jacks which are normal in a preamp, and the only odd thing is that it works as a soundcard. In my view, it's a very well thought-out product, except that I don't understand how to bypass it completely. If that's not possible, it's a big fail.
[/quote]

Its just a jumble of features on the front face that just don't seem to gel. Apart from it being bizarre to have the aux/phones/USB jacks on the top, if any of those are plugged in, how do you stomp on the Boost switch if you have man sized feet?

Its like I said, I don't get the market. Surely most people who covet the GK sound have a GK amp (as opposed to Ampeg, for example)?

It just seems like it is trying to be a multi effects do it all unit, yet falls short of being that. And the cost puts it against some very heavy bass preamp competition, most of which are not bloated with features like this one.

We'll have to agree to disagree :)

Edited by Kev

I'm a GK fan and I have the MB Fusion. I would love to get this (if I can justify the cost). The GK amps only have what you see there on the left side of the dashes for each knob, so the right side of the dashes is a whole new set of features added. Additionally, I love the GK overdrive but in my experience it only works well at low volume at home or with 1 cab only in the studio, once I add another cab or am playing it very loud the drive gets drowned in all the woomph of the bass, unless I cut a lot of bass and then it sound rough. So this drive with the GK character as a pedal with more gain is very appealing to me.

And if I can sell my tuner, my compressor, and one of my distortion pedals, I save that space in my board and more than pay for this!

Edited by 1976fenderhead

Key for me is how the overdrive and cab sim sound. Currently my headphone practice rig consists of:

Tuner -> Le Bass -> OmniCabSim -> PJB Bighead

4 boxes, 3 of them very expensive. If I could consolidate those I would be a happy bunny!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1461654206' post='3036397']
Key for me is how the overdrive and cab sim sound. Currently my headphone practice rig consists of:

4 boxes, 3 of them very expensive. If I could consolidate those I would be a happy bunny!
[/quote]

Exactly what I want to do with it as well. Currently I'm using the headphone out on my little Roland cube. It sounds just about ok but I'm really looking for something that sounds excellent.

I was looking at going the PJB Bighead rout but I didn't even consider that I might need a cab sim of some kind to get it sounding decent.

According to gear4music it should be a late june release. [url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Gallien-Krueger-PLEX-Bass-Preamp/1GWE"]http://www.gear4musi...ass-Preamp/1GWE[/url]

Edited by SingleMalt

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1461654206' post='3036397']

[/quote]

Give me a heads up if you do want to move the OmniCabSim on bud! :)

[quote name='nbtone' timestamp='1462044816' post='3039944']
IMO GK should have stuck to their RB line of amps. The new MB models turn me off, so I figure they are just adding another one along that line. Bob Gallien must be 80 years old, so how long do you think GK can keep going?
[/quote]

What don't you like about them? I moved from a 700RB to a 500 MB Fusion and I am really happy with the sound. When the rest of the band are playing, I cannot hear much if any difference.

Back on topic, these new preamps do not excite me in the way that the Le Bass did. They look like they have too much stuff crammed into one box. I am a separate FX rather than multifx, and this seems to be for the latter.

Hmm... for me the great thing about GK amps, particularly the MB range and particularly the Fusion variants, is that they sound great right out of the box, they are plug and play and you don't need a pre-amp or sound-shaper in front of them.

So is this for people who own less-than-exciting amps who can buy a Plex and finally find happiness in the GK fold?

If so, then I'm all up for it. Though I could probably do without the sonic competition... ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1462624228' post='3044465']
Hmm... for me the great thing about GK amps, particularly the MB range and particularly the Fusion variants, is that they sound great right out of the box, they are plug and play and you don't need a pre-amp or sound-shaper in front of them.

So is this for people who own less-than-exciting amps who can buy a Plex and finally find happiness in the GK fold?

If so, then I'm all up for it. Though I could probably do without the sonic competition... ;)
[/quote]

As I said I have an MB Fusion 500 and I like how it sounds (except that the overdrive is a bit limited), but this will give me extra sound-shaping options plus (if they're good) a more versatile overdrive, a tuner and a compressor, so 3 pedals off my board.

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1462624733' post='3044470']
As I said I have an MB Fusion 500 and I like how it sounds (except that the overdrive is a bit limited), but this will give me extra sound-shaping options plus (if they're good) a more versatile overdrive, a tuner and a compressor, so 3 pedals off my board.
[/quote]

Well there's that - I tend to favour clean-to-just-becoming-warm tones and don't really go in for overdrive as such.
If you get one I'd be very interested to read your thoughts about it.

• 3 months later...

Just noticed on the GK Plex photo currently on their website that they have changed some labelling and features on it (you can compare with the photo on the OP).

Compression seems to have more options, overdrive fewer options, cab sim seems to have been dropped (noooo) and trim is now a dial, not a switch.

http://www.gallien-krueger.com/plex-preamp/

I'm still struggling with who this is marketed at.

GK lovers will have a GK head. If they have a GK head, other than a couple of superficial extras, what does this pedal offer extra?

The Sansamp pedals make much more sense as not everyone who loves the Ampeg sound wants an Ampeg head, but the same doesn't seem to work for GK. Certainly, I can't hear a bass tone and have the ability to blind identify the GK sound.

Edited by Kev

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1470588119' post='3106923']

GK lovers will have a GK head. If they have a GK head, other than a couple of superficial extras, what does this pedal offer extra?

The Sansamp pedals make much more sense as not everyone who loves the Ampeg sound wants an Ampeg head, but the same doesn't seem to work for GK. Certainly, I can't hear a bass tone and have the ability to blind identify the GK sound.
[/quote]

I'd disagree and say the GK sound is pretty distinctive, Duff/Flea for example certainly don't sound like they're playing through an SVT.

I'd really like one for home use, it has everything I want for rehearsal including a tuner in one box, however at that price I won't be getting one anytime soon.

I am surprised that they've gone into more depth on the compressor than the drive, as I don't think any of the GK heads have onboard compression? But do have drive/boost.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1470589037' post='3106932']
I'd disagree and say the GK sound is pretty distinctive, Duff/Flea for example certainly don't sound like they're playing through an SVT.

I'd really like one for home use, it has everything I want for rehearsal including a tuner in one box, however at that price I won't be getting one anytime soon.

I am surprised that they've gone into more depth on the compressor than the drive, as I don't think any of the GK heads have onboard compression? But do have drive/boost.
[/quote]

No, but thats because its the SVT that has the very identifiable sound. Flea does not "sound like GK" in my opinion and his tone is almost entirely down to his technique (apart from when he uses a Stingray). But then again, as I said I don't know what the GK tone signature is (despite owning a GK head for 6 months or so this year) so perhaps I am wrong after all! To give an example though, when I was AB'ing my GK MB Fusion head and my Tecamp Puma, I heard no noticeable tone signature from the GK other than warmth from the valve preamp, and the Tecamp is by design a very neutral sound. I'm talking gig volume here of course, not bedroom/headphones.

If you have a modern GK head, this gives you a tuner (which surely most already have) and a compressor (which surely most would already use if they wanted one). :blink:

I'm not buying one, if anyone was in any doubt ;)

Edited by Kev

[/quote]

Read 3 posts above that post.

[/quote]

I can say that whenever I've been in a studio with a GK solid state head, the sound has always been distinctive from anything else.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1470589981' post='3106938']
Flea does not "sound like GK" in my opinion and his tone is almost entirely down to his technique (apart from when he uses a Stingray).
[/quote]

No offence intended, but that's a pretty silly statement.

But then again, as I said I don't know what the GK tone signature is (despite owning a GK head for 6 months or so this year) so perhaps I am wrong after all! To give an example though, when I was AB'ing my GK MB Fusion head and my Tecamp Puma, I heard no noticeable tone signature from the GK other than warmth from the valve preamp, and the Tecamp is by design a very neutral sound. I'm talking gig volume here of course, not bedroom/headphones.
[/quote]

The Fusion heads don't have the signature GK tone. They're valve preamps with a GK flavour.

If you have a modern GK head, this gives you a tuner (which surely most already have) and a compressor (which surely most would already use if they wanted one). :blink:
[/quote]

As I said above, it also gives you extra tone-shaping possibilities, a more versatile overdrive than the heads have and the ability to remove the compressor, tuner and overdrive from your board and replace them with one single pedal. Not to mention getting your GK sound from a pedal to the desk without requiring your head, with the extra shaping that the pedal allows for. I honestly don't understand what's unclear about the value in this.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1470594987' post='3106986']
I've always thought of GK having a pretty distinctive sound - clear, punchy a bit gritty, but maybe I'm just thinking of a solid state sound.
[/quote]

I agree with you, and it's not just a solid state sound. For example Hartke's solid state preamps sound nothing like GK's, they sound good but much more generic (though I like them a lot because they're so versatile).

Edited by 1976fenderhead

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1470602231' post='3107068']
Read 3 posts above that post.

I can say that whenever I've been in a studio with a GK solid state head, the sound has always been distinctive from anything else.
[/quote]
[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1470602899' post='3107078']
No offence intended, but that's a pretty silly statement.

The Fusion heads don't have the signature GK tone. They're valve preamps with a GK flavour.

As I said above, it also gives you extra tone-shaping possibilities, a more versatile overdrive than the heads have and the ability to remove the compressor, tuner and overdrive from your board and replace them with one single pedal. Not to mention getting your GK sound from a pedal to the desk without requiring your head, with the extra shaping that the pedal allows for. I honestly don't understand what's unclear about the value in this.
[/quote]

I read your post, and I remain confused. EQ with the same EQ points as your head, a drive section which, if we are honest, will not be as good as many drive pedals found on bass pedalboard these days. The whole point of these micro heads is so you can carry them everywhere as easily as a laptop, so DI'ing out amp to desk is just as easy as pedal to desk. Again, extra shaping, I am clearly missing something as I cannot see how it gives you any extra EQ control, any settings on this would be countered by your GK head. Unless they are different EQ points? I would have thought this was unlikely given GK are known for their four band eq, but I haven't actually read the specs.

Oh, and the silly statement; perhaps not worded so well, but fundamentals not silly whatsoever. If I gave you Flea's exact setup and asked you to play some of his lines, no offence but I highly doubt you would sound anything like him.

Anyway, each entitled to our own opinions. Clearly we disagree, but hey what are discussion forums for? :)

Edited by Kev

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1470609281' post='3107132']
I read your post, and I remain confused. EQ with the same EQ points as your head, a drive section which, if we are honest, will not be as good as many drive pedals found on bass pedalboard these days. The whole point of these micro heads is so you can carry them everywhere as easily as a laptop, so DI'ing out amp to desk is just as easy as pedal to desk. Again, extra shaping, I am clearly missing something as I cannot see how it gives you any extra EQ control, any settings on this would be countered by your GK head. Unless they are different EQ points? I would have thought this was unlikely given GK are known for their four band eq, but I haven't actually read the specs.

Oh, and the silly statement; perhaps not worded so well, but fundamentals not silly whatsoever. If I gave you Flea's exact setup and asked you to play some of his lines, no offence but I highly doubt you would sound anything like him.

Anyway, each entitled to our own opinions. Clearly we disagree, but hey what are discussion forums for? :)
[/quote]

Regarding tone shaping, this has been posted above but please compare these options against the heads' simple boost and cut of Contour / Treble / Hi Mid / Low Mid / Bass.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB6GerXHWjI&feature=youtu.be

Regarding drive, I happen to love the character of the overdrive on my Fusion and like that it (obviously) matches the character of the clean sound. My problem is it doesn't go as far as I'd like, and there's a short silence when you switch channels, making it impractical to engage/disengage mid-song. I'd be very happy with the same overdrive sound in a pedal plus being able to add more gain and adjust tone characteristics for the overdrive sound only (which I can't do with an MB head). In this video it happens to sound very much like the GK drive that I know and love, so I'm all for it!

As for Flea, if you give me his rig the TONE will sound very much alike, but if you give him a Warwick bass, an Orange amp and an Ampeg cab the tone will sound completely different, even if it will still sound like Flea, and not even going into different models within those brands and the differences between them. Technique is fingers pulling strings, only so much you can affect in tone with that compared with myriad different woods, electronics, valve/solid state, preamp voicings, cab materials, drivers and so on. Just try one day playing two same exact basses except one has a maple neck and the other a rosewood neck, the difference is immense! Even just different pickups will make Flea's rig sound more different in TONE than a different player picking up his bass everything else being equal.

The Sansamp pedals make much more sense as not everyone who loves the Ampeg sound wants an Ampeg head, but the same doesn't seem to work for GK.
[/quote]

Why not? Same basic concept surely?
I love the GK grind but don't own a GK amp as I already have an amp that meets my needs. From experience I've come to prefer something a little more trad sounding, but the idea of having that grind in a pedal appeals greatly.

[/quote]

I`d say probably at GK owners who do lots of gigs with provided rigs - this will give them the facility to send their GK sound to FOH so they can always sound like themselves. That`s why I have the the Aguilar Tonehammer DI pedal as well as the Tonehammer amp - no matter what set-up I`m using the audience always get the sound I have on our recordings. Sure the on-stage sound might be a bit different but that`s just monitoring for me, it`s out front that counts and now GK-ers will be able to do this.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1470687854' post='3107723']
I`d say probably at GK owners who do lots of gigs with provided rigs - this will give them the facility to send their GK sound to FOH so they can always sound like themselves. That`s why I have the the Aguilar Tonehammer DI pedal as well as the Tonehammer amp - no matter what set-up I`m using the audience always get the sound I have on our recordings. Sure the on-stage sound might be a bit different but that`s just monitoring for me, it`s out front that counts and now GK-ers will be able to do this.
[/quote]

Best explanation of it so far, I can see its use in that regard :)