Why become a member? ×

New preamp by GK!

1976fenderhead

What an odd looking little box!

Bizarre placement of Balanced Output and USB on the top as said, as well as the Aux and Phones. They seems to have just whacked little switches all over the top. Tuner screen seems to be very close to a stomping foot. I'm not really sure what the demand is for a unit like this in pedal form, its more of a multi effect pedal than it is a pre. Interested to see what it is all about.

The XLR position makes sense to me, saves pedalboard space by not needing clearance on the sides. Besides, with the inclusion of send/return. not much room anywhere else. The key for me is the overdrive sound this will give, especially for the boost. If it's good and can complement my GK gear, I'm in. If it's bad it's just going to be like another MXR M80.

Edited by 1976fenderhead

GK in a box - awesome. Not a GK user myself, though have been in the past, but I`d snap one of these up if I were. Great to be able to have your sound in a preamp to take along to gigs with provided/shared rigs. Nice touch adding the tuner as well, makes travelling light even easier.

• 4 weeks later...

It sounds like it also simulates a blanket over the cab - it's a bit too boomy and way too dark for my liking! Even through headphones, I prefer the sound of it off. This GK box is an attractive alternative to purchasing yet another box (e.g. Torpedo or OmniCabSim) just for cab duties.

Edited by dannybuoy

• 2 months later...

£245 for preorder over on thomann http://www.thomann.de/gb/gallien_krueger_plex_preamp.htm

Very interested in this, I love my 700 RB II, and have been searching for something that sounds great for headphone playing. Not too sure about the xlr and headphone/aux being on the top, but It would probably just sit on the desk and never actually go on the pedal board so I doubt that would be an issue.

I usually don't buy stuff like this when it's so new to the market, but I might have to take a chance here.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1461597748' post='3035973']
I just don't get the design at all.
[/quote]

It does seem to be confused about what it is.

They should just move all the inputs/outputs over to the left side and it would all be good. Still suits me for straight up headphone use though.

Edited by SingleMalt

I don't see what's so confusing, it's a preamp. The XLR in the front saves board space. It has a switch for overdrive and another for compressor, hold the compressor switch and you get a tuner. It has send/return jacks which are normal in a preamp, and the only odd thing is that it works as a soundcard. In my view, it's a very well thought-out product, except that I don't understand how to bypass it completely. If that's not possible, it's a big fail.

I wouldn't call the soundcard functionality an odd thing at all, more like essential considering what it does and the form factor. As well as on a pedalboard, I would use it as a table-top headphone practice rig (so I could play music from my laptop over the USB) or for recording. I use a PJB Bighead along with my Two Notes Le Bass, this box could perhaps replace both.

The USB socket on top looks daft but I suppose it makes it easier to use if you have it on a tightly crammed board.

Edited by dannybuoy

Odd when compared with the BDDI, the M80, the VT Bass DI, the Tone Hammer, the MicroBass, the new Ampeg model, all these pedal preamps which are the competition and none works as a soundcard. Unless if you're putting this in the same segment as multifx, which I don't think is where they're aiming...

Edited by 1976fenderhead