Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic SpectraComp pedal

ColinB

Damn you, TC Electronic. I thought I'd got the compressor I wanted!

Here it is.... [url="http://www.tcelectronic.com/spectracomp-bass-compressor/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=TCE%20MI%20NEWS%20Winter%20NAMM%202016%20Releases&utm_content=TCE%20MI%20NEWS%20Winter%20NAMM%202016%20Releases+CID_064c26e3b3e7d8f0d2581c3081a95bcb&utm_source=Campaign%20Monitor"]clickety-click[/url].

The Spectracomp on the RH is fixed and if you don't like it, then you can't change it. Using TonePrint you have access to ever single parameter you could ever need to adjust how the compressor sounds and behaves including making it work like a full band compressor. I'd say that access to the TonePrint editor is a major selling point. I think an in-depth video of how good the TonePrint [i]editor[/i] software actually is would be very useful.

So, although it is one knob, there is so much more available under the bonnet. It's likely I'll do a TP video at some point to demo.

[quote name='No. 8 Wire' timestamp='1453392447' post='2959102']
Thanks Dood.

I more meant without using the toneprint, how does it differ? I read a bit further down the spec page and it says 'improved algorithm' but that's not giving much away.

Would love to see your review if you get one, especially if you can do a comparison with the RH version.
[/quote]

Well, the settings would be improved to suit a wider audience rather than the tone requirements of the RH which has leanings to a particular market, I would say. Not only that, I suspect what they mean is that not only have the parameters been tweaked but the actual 'software' that runs the compressor itself has been updated. If it's anything like the HG pedal, then it's going to sound big, articulate and clear (my findings using the HG even verses the Nova Dynamics).

I've been gigging with the Classic 450 and RH450 heads for a few years now and the in-build Spectracomp in both amps is fantastic. The parameters behind the one knob (not the one actually playing) control are absolutely spot on in my opinion and experience, and really help to level out and add punch to my heavy handed finger style playing.
If this pedal has the ability tweak the internal parameters further (not that I think I'd ever need to but it'd be worth seeing what it can do when edited) then it will be a truly versatile and adaptable tool with a wide appeal.

Anyone have any idea of the price yet?

HG has four knobs on it and they can be configured how ever you want, including parameters other than that of the labels. The new bass pedal has just the one. So for a tweaker away from the computer / iPad them the HG maybe a good choice. That said, is set the new pedal up how I wanted and hopefully TonePrint editor will allow me to configure that control to do only the likely changes I'll need. Yes, that does suggest I'll have one, that is the plan!

[quote name='Osiris' timestamp='1453394302' post='2959122']
I've been gigging with the Classic 450 and RH450 heads for a few years now and the in-build Spectracomp in both amps is fantastic. The parameters behind the one knob (not the one actually playing) control are absolutely spot on in my opinion and experience, and really help to level out and add punch to my heavy handed finger style playing.
If this pedal has the ability tweak the internal parameters further (not that I think I'd ever need to but it'd be worth seeing what it can do when edited) then it will be a truly versatile and adaptable tool with a wide appeal.

Anyone have any idea of the price yet?
[/quote]

They are already available: http://www.prymaxe.com/products/tc-electronic-spectracomp-bass-compressor

$100, or $80 with their current discount.

• 1 month later...

YAY!!!! SpectraComp arrived just a few hours ago! Very excited and yes it will be getting a full review. Can't believe they've managed to squeeze so much in to a tiny pedal. You can use TonePrints AND the TonePrint Editor with the SpectraComp (as well as the HyperGravity pedal which can too).

Oh and guess what - it does 3 band parallel compression. And you know how much I love that!!!

I've got both of these (the Hypergravity and the Spectracomp). Both are brilliant and using the editor you can assign three parameters to the single knob of the Spectracomp which then increase or decrease uniformly. So basically you can assign very similar mappings to both pedals. I think TC are releasing a Spectracomp toneprint for the HG. I'd be very interested in your review Dood!

Steve

[quote name='Callumjord' timestamp='1456777990' post='2992243']
Really looking forward to your review, can't wait to see how this compressor holds up and all of its features. Any chance you will be comparing it to some other compressors out there like the darkglass and Seymour Duncan studio?
[/quote]

For a pedal that looks so simple on the outside, it's going to need a long review to go through every single feature! - Well, I've already reviewed the SD Studio Bass and we've not had the DG Comp in for review. It's unlikely I'd do a side by side with the SD, but since I own that one too, I can discuss here I guess!

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1456779314' post='2992261']
I've got both of these (the Hypergravity and the Spectracomp). Both are brilliant and using the editor you can assign three parameters to the single knob of the Spectracomp which then increase or decrease uniformly. So basically you can assign very similar mappings to both pedals. I think TC are releasing a Spectracomp toneprint for the HG. I'd be very interested in your review Dood!

Steve
[/quote]

Yes, exactly that! There are so many parameters that can be set under the bonnet. Even down to the ratios of parameter to knob turn. So you could have a gain control that has more effect in the lows and mids than it does on the top end, but all increasing as the control is advanced. As I'd said elsewhere - for those who worry about knocking controls mid gig, well, you can un-assign the controls altogether!

I've enjoyed using the HG as a sort of valve-alike EQ & compressor. A great way to add bloom and low end to a signal, blending in with the direct bass tone but not boosting too many frequencies when you're digging in hard (if that even makes sense!!) - I mean, a bit like the ole Aphex Exciter in operation. Another favourite is to split up what would usually be the 'compression' control over two knobs. Middle and low end gets one knob and the top end gets another. A great way to EQ the compression. I could go on, I really could!

I'll update the Dood Reviews thread when I have the SpectraComp done.

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, owen said:

Thread ressurection! I am looking for that parallel/NY thing. But I just want to load it in. Don't make me programme. It makes my head hurt. Can anyone tell me what preset programme I need to chuck into it? TIA

Some of the free Tone Prints are of the parallel compression type. Off the top of my head I can't remember exactly which ones, but I think Captain East is one and I seem to think that one of the TC Electronics own ones (i.e. not ones designed by named musicians) is another. There may be more. If you download the app onto your mobile you can highlight your favourite Tone Prints and beam them onto the pedal quickly and easily, it literally takes 2 or 3 seconds. 

Edited by Osiris

• 2 weeks later...