Why become a member? ×

Fender road worn series

highwayone

Plenty of love on here for them - including me! I've got the 50's precision in sunburst and it's one of the best Basses I've got. Nitro finish, reverse tuners, anodized pickguard, feels solid as a rock. Don't believe the pickups are anything different, but I could be wrong, sounded just fine to me before I changed them (I changed mine for SPB-3's anyway, coz I like 'em!, not because the pickups in it were bad)

There is a rumour that they are 'finished' in the US, but I've never seen that documented anywhere officially...

I have the non-roadworn version, exactly the same spec, just not battered.

Great bass, love the neck, but not everyone will as its at the wider vintage correct width.

The non roadworn tend to go cheaper so they are a good deal.

The pickups are the same as the American Standard, which could be where the finished in the US rumour comes from. Our it could be they do th he roadworn finish in the states.

Edited by No. 8 Wire

Here's a review from a basschatter [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/84943-fender-road-worn-jazz/page__p__2290162__hl__road%20worn__fromsearch__1#entry2290162"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry2290162[/url]

Edited by gjones

I`m not a fan of fake relicing, but tried one of these out in a music shop when I was there with a mate who was looking at guitarry stuff. Awesome basses, felt really good to play, so comfy, just like that old pair of jogging bottoms you put on when you get home from work. Very resonant too. Up to that point I`d though "meh" about these basses, but trying one out changed my mind completely, one of the best Precisions I`ve ever played.

Katrl, remember "Blondie"? Well the Road Worns are just like that, only although the necks are wider, they`re also shallower, but just as easy to play, same worn in feeling on the neck.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1453402934' post='2959258']
I`m not a fan of fake relicing, but tried one of these out in a music shop when I was there with a mate who was looking at guitarry stuff. Awesome basses, felt really good to play, so comfy, just like that old pair of jogging bottoms you put on when you get home from work. Very resonant too. Up to that point I`d though "meh" about these basses, but trying one out changed my mind completely, one of the best Precisions I`ve ever played.

Katrl, remember "Blondie"? Well the Road Worns are just like that, only although the necks are wider, they`re also shallower, but just as easy to play, same worn in feeling on the neck.
[/quote]

How could I forget blondie Lozz!see a jazz rw for sale and although I'm a precision man I was wondering whether to take the plunge!

They say that the Road Worn version are more than just bashed about standard Mexi versions. Going by the reviews, I'd be more likely to buy a RW than non. but then, I stop myself as I have a '76 law-suit that looks, plays and sounds exactly the same as a 'real' P. - for a lot less money. - Ok, so I do feel a little smug and therefore have no place on this thread.. or basschat.

[quote name='No. 8 Wire' timestamp='1453401566' post='2959240']
I have the non-roadworn version, exactly the same spec, just not battered.

Great bass, love the neck, but not everyone will as its at the wider vintage correct width.

The non roadworn tend to go cheaper so they are a good deal.

The pickups are the same as the American Standard, which could be where the finished in the US rumour comes from. Our it could be they do th he roadworn finish in the states.
[/quote]

Are they really us pickups?

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1453413269' post='2959404']
Are they really us pickups?
[/quote]

Well I have to admit to being not 100% sure.

On other websites, people have posted replies from fender that they have Am Std Pickups in them - however these were the pre 2012 version that have plastic bobbins and seem to be thought of as inferior to the ones currently in the Am Std. I've pulled mine while shielding, and they do indeed have the right numbers stamped on them and are plastic bobbins (my bass is a 2013). Could this be a case of fender using up their parts inventory?

It's really hard to know with Fender.

[quote name='No. 8 Wire' timestamp='1453414424' post='2959415']

Well I have to admit to being not 100% sure.

On other websites, people have posted replies from fender that they have Am Std Pickups in them - however these were the pre 2012 version that have plastic bobbins and seem to be thought of as inferior to the ones currently in the Am Std. I've pulled mine while shielding, and they do indeed have the right numbers stamped on them and are plastic bobbins (my bass is a 2013). Could this be a case of fender using up their parts inventory?

It's really hard to know with Fender.
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure all of them are just standard mex pickups and looking on fenders specs. And the codes on the bottom have been known to be the same on many pick ups no matter where there from. I only mention this as Ive been reading a fair bit on this. So unless the specs specifically say where there from there just standard to that factory. Also adding apparently the output is different to the us pickups.

Edited by Twincam

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1453416989' post='2959450']
I'm pretty sure all of them are just standard mex pickups and looking on fenders specs. And the codes on the bottom have been known to be the same on many pick ups no matter where there from. I only mention this as Ive been reading a fair bit on this. So unless the specs specifically say where there from there just standard to that factory.
[/quote]

The problem with Fender is they just don't give that information. You could well be right. I did a lot of reading about it a while back, came down on the side of more than likely Am Std than not, I'm not going to revisit all that though - a lot of contradictory information. There's a lot that if different on this bass from an MIM Std, it doesn't seem a great leap that the pickups might be different too.

The specs list the pickup as 'Vintage Style', whereas the std MIM is just 'split coil'. The MIJ 50s bass is also listed with 'vintage style' pickups. It certainly suggests they are different to the std MIM if not actually any evidence they are the same as the pre 2012 Am Std.

Anyway, mine sound good to me, but I am tempted to go for an SD pickup just out of curiosity and because that's what I've been happy with before.

[quote name='No. 8 Wire' timestamp='1453418440' post='2959464']

The problem with Fender is they just don't give that information. You could well be right. I did a lot of reading about it a while back, came down on the side of more than likely Am Std than not, I'm not going to revisit all that though - a lot of contradictory information. There's a lot that if different on this bass from an MIM Std, it doesn't seem a great leap that the pickups might be different too.

The specs list the pickup as 'Vintage Style', whereas the std MIM is just 'split coil'. The MIJ 50s bass is also listed with 'vintage style' pickups. It certainly suggests they are different to the std MIM if not actually any evidence they are the same as the pre 2012 Am Std.

Anyway, mine sound good to me, but I am tempted to go for an SD pickup just out of curiosity and because that's what I've been happy with before.
[/quote]

It's a shame fender don't say. It's all a bit conflicting info. I suspect the road worns are wound different to other models but might be the same as some other reissue series. It's clear that fender put more effort into them anyway.

[quote name='highwayone' timestamp='1453445083' post='2959512']
I've been offered a swap on my MIA std Precision but might decline. They look lovely basses but don't seem a lot different to regular MIM''s considering they're nearly doubl the price.
[/quote]

I'm very interested in the road worn basses myself. I bet they feel great and I love the tuning heads and overall look, nitro paint is cool although I would want to relic one myself.
I do wonder why if there so good how come there's loads being sold on this very forum, you see them pop up week in week out and only when the price is very keen do they sell then after a few weeks there back up again. I think personally there new and used prices are very steep for what is a mim bass with some small but cool upgrades. I can understand they have some better hardware and they are pre aged etc, I'm thinking the qc might be better? But then again would a factory worker think ah there road worn do I need to look as close?
The price is still high imo.

There clearly nice basses that have there place.
As for swapping a for a mia p bass well that would be up to you. I think you would need to spend a few days with one to be sure or at least a few hours. Bear in mind the neck width on the road worn might be thicker as correct for the period imitated.

Edited by Twincam

I was very sceptical about the hype etc so I bought a Jazz and checked it over. For starters it felt resonant and sounded lovely..plenty of snarl etc but the really fascinating thing was its build...forget the Mex thing these are very different instruments.
It seems the body and headstock thickness are both thinner than my USA J bass...no idea why they do this but it makes a heck of a difference to the feel.
Lovely bass which sadly I had to sell...

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1453420397' post='2959472']
It's a shame fender don't say. It's all a bit conflicting info. I suspect the road worns are wound different to other models but might be the same as some other reissue series. It's clear that fender put more effort into them anyway.
[/quote]

I found a link to some good info about these basses while looking for some specs on another site. It seems I need to apologise to fender, because all the relevant info was on their support site.

Basically the MIM Classic 50s series is listed as using the American Standard PIckup part nos 0056004000 (+3000). Same pickup listed for the American Standard and the Highway One. The MIM Standard Precision is listed as having a the MEx pickup under a different part number. I don't know how up to date these service diagrams are, noting that the MIM 50s roadworn series isn't present, unless you just assume the roadworn is part f the 'Mexican Classic 50s series'.

http://support.fender.com/service_diagrams/p_bass/013-1702A_SISD.pdf

http://support.fender.com/service_diagrams/bass_guitars/019-3200_02A_SISD.pdf

I emailed Fender when I bought my RW Precision who confirmed they are USA pickups.

Regarding comparison to MIM standards, they are a different beast. They aren't just MIM's with a few hardware upgrades. My 2008 is incredible, my USA standard didn't get close (and got sold) and neither have many basses I've played since. The closest thing I've played to it was a Custom Shop '57 in terms of feel, which I only preferred due to superior fret work (and subsequently had my frets taken down a bit my my luthier.) The weight, feel and resonance was very similar between the two.

I have also played a few Classic 50's P basses and although these are very good and on paper look to be very similar spec, they feel very different to a Road Worn.

I've heard the later model RW's aren't quite as good (couple comments on BC and Talk Bass), a bit heavier etc, and I did play a 2012 version which I didn't think was as good as mine, but these are just general comments, can't confirm, however if looking again I would try and seek as early a model as possible.

[quote name='highwayone' timestamp='1453445083' post='2959512']
I've been offered a swap on my MIA std Precision but might decline. They look lovely basses but don't seem a lot different to regular MIM''s considering they're nearly doubl the price.
[/quote]
They are completely different. It's hard to think of what actually is the same other than being made in Mexico. Try it and see if you prefer it though?

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1454328814' post='2968565']
They are completely different. It's hard to think of what actually is the same other than being made in Mexico. Try it and see if you prefer it though?
[/quote]
I'll echo those thoughts, the RW's are very different to the standard Mexican models, selected dried woods (very resonant, normally light weight, that accounts for a lot of the extra cost over the standard MIM's even the 50's Classic's) The fit and finish is perfect even if it's been roadworn :) No sharp egdes on the frets, smooth necks, couldn't fault mine at all. As I have said many times before I actually prefer to use it over my 69 and 74 MIA precisions. (and those aren't dogs)!

It is clear that within the Mexico factory there is 2 tiers of bass. There standard models and probably some of the cheaper models and then the more expensive models seem to get the pick of the woods more time spent on them and some better quality often usa hardware.

As I discovered with my older mim passive p special. They had at the time made a thing about saying they used better woods etc etc.

Roadworn basses are the best "cheap" instruments i found for years.

I bought a second hand Fiesta Red PB and ordered a 63 US Reissue Rosewood neck + a cool white tolex case on a US site. I have 2 basses in 1.
I am not afraid anymore of going to gig with a expensive vintage instrument.

And the best... it sounds almost as good as the 50s, 60s original :)

Here it is
[url=http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=407983IMG8744.jpg][/url]
[url=http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=482818IMG8790.jpg][/url]

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1454343622' post='2968751']
It is clear that within the Mexico factory there is 2 tiers of bass. There standard models and probably some of the cheaper models and then the more expensive models seem to get the pick of the woods more time spent on them and some better quality often usa hardware.

As I discovered with my older mim passive p special. They had at the time made a thing about saying they used better woods etc etc.
[/quote]also remember that the passive p special took over from the fender "California" p special, which used USA parts but were assembled in Mexico.