Why become a member? ×

Drop C Help Please?

Billy Apple

I'm maybe going to have a jam with a metal band next week and they say their stuff is in drop C. I'm clueless when it comes to this, having only ever played EADG. They say the guitard tunes to CGCFAD, so I'm figuring I'd tune to CGCF? I'm also experimenting with a 5'er, would the B stay the same? I can't see it getting any slacker!

Does all this mean I have to write the notes in tippex on the neck (again!)

All help, tips, advice and video links of how to do it greatly received! :)

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1453404098' post='2959280']
I'm maybe going to have a jam with a metal band next week and they say their stuff is in drop C. I'm clueless when it comes to this, having only ever played EADG. They say the guitard tunes to CGCFAD, so I'm figuring I'd tune to CGCF? I'm also experimenting with a 5'er, would the B stay the same? I can't see it getting any slacker!

Does all this mean I have to write the notes in tippex on the neck (again!)

All help, tips, advice and video links of how to do it greatly received! :)
[/quote]

If I understand correctly, the guitars are playing in the equivalent of 'drop D', but the whole thing down a tone. You could tune your bass 'their way', but your fingering will change, as the interval you currently expect between the low 'E' and the others will change. The reason guitars do this is basically to 'bar' power chords. As a bassist, unless you, too, are going to 'bar' chords, I'd say try out your fiver with its current tuning; their low 'C' you'll find at the first fret of your low 'B'. If you prefer playing open strings on low riffs (depends on repertoire...), you could even raise the whole bass a half tone, and play the fiver as 'C.F.Bb.Eb.Ab'. You're out of 'normal' territory, whatever you do, but I'd try using a standard Fiver tuning first.
Just my tuppence-worth; hope this helps .
[i]Disclaimer: I'm a drummer.[/i]

Edited by Dad3353

I wouldn't retune, I would stick to EADG or possibly retune BEAD if I needed lower notes (or get a 5string if I liked 5strings, which I don't).

I play with one guitarist who sometimes uses DGCFAD and in another band with a guitarist using several different open tunings but as long as I can access the notes I want then I much prefer to stay in standard tuning.

I do have a D-tuner for occasional emergencies.

My main four string is tuned to C standard. I put the bottom four strings from a five string set on it and tune it up. I worried about damaging something when I first did it, but it hasn't been a problem, and for some stuff I even tune it up to C# standard.

I have read that the ideal bottom string for this is .118 but I am using a .130 and it works great.

It is nice that the layout is kept the same, as opposed to drop tuning.

Many moons ago I played in a band where the guitar used this tuning, I just tuned a five string up half a step to C. If you start drop tuning then all your scale patterns fall out.

... As a side note I hate drop tuning on guitars, in my metal band (where I play guitar) I just play in straight B. it's really not that difficult to play chords properly, and I should know because I can do it and I'm a terrible guitarist who can't hold a pick properly... :mellow:

Edited by CamdenRob