#61 Iain

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:general geekery, gaming, riff-based rock

Posted 19 August 2016 - 12:28 PM

View Postlefrash, on 18 August 2016 - 05:42 PM, said:

How did you use it? Straight to pa? Front of amp?

In front of amp - eq set flat (markbass BigBang)
Basses: Dingwall Z3; Fender Jazz US "Geddy Lee"; Sandberg California VM4; Breedlove 'Stage' acoustic;Cort B4 Fretless; Washburn Chicago Series
Amps: Mark Bass Big Bang
Cabs: Barefaced Big Twin 2 (live); Mark Bass Traveller 151P & 121H (rehearsal)
FX: Line 6 Helix; Smooth Hound Wireless

Bands: Half Life Trackside Sessions

#62 lefrash

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:32 PM

View PostIain, on 19 August 2016 - 12:28 PM, said:

In front of amp - eq set flat (markbass BigBang)

Would be interested in hearing your feedback using it as a DI straight to FOH if you can be arsed. how the dirt and octaver translates into the PA.

#63 Wolverinebass

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:16 PM

View PostTech21NYC, on 18 August 2016 - 02:47 PM, said:

Just to be clear we don't set the prices in Europe and actually make less money on our product shipped there. There are import duties, the cost of shipping from the states and VAT that our European Distributors have to pass on to the consumer. They in turn have to ship to dealers which adds additional cost.

For some perspective, I've had a couple of Lehle pedals. My Dual SGoS costs $349 US here. Thomann sells it for 238 Euros which is $269 US.

Yeah, fair enough about import tax and VAT, but are you actually trying to justify the fact that your Dug Pinnick amp is $1800 in the US and 2200 over here?!! When I worked that out before brexit I grant you that made it 900 more expensive over here. So much so that I could fly to New York, pick one up from your factory and still have change for a transformer with cash left over when I got back.

Which is all a great pity as you make really good gear. I would have thought you'd have some control of prices though.
Wal Mk2
EKO Florence Acoustic
Hamer USA Chaparral B12L 12 string
Warmoth 8 string Explorer
Status Graphite John Entwistle Buzzard
Alembic Stanley Clarke Signature Standard

Sansamp PSA 1.1
Yamaha P5000S
Behringer Ultracurve DEQ 2496
Markbass Traveller 102P
Markbass Traveller 151P
Line 6 Bass Pod XT Pro
Digitech 2120
Korg DTR-2000

Hartke 5500
Yamaha EMP700
Line 6 Bass Pod XT

#64 Iain

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:general geekery, gaming, riff-based rock

Posted 21 August 2016 - 12:13 PM

View Postlefrash, on 19 August 2016 - 01:32 PM, said:

Would be interested in hearing your feedback using it as a DI straight to FOH if you can be arsed. how the dirt and octaver translates into the PA.

I don't generally play any gigs big enough to cover that and usually DI pre-eq from the Markbass amp on the few occasions it's been required. One of my bands is playing a local festival soonish so will update after that.
Basses: Dingwall Z3; Fender Jazz US "Geddy Lee"; Sandberg California VM4; Breedlove 'Stage' acoustic;Cort B4 Fretless; Washburn Chicago Series
Amps: Mark Bass Big Bang
Cabs: Barefaced Big Twin 2 (live); Mark Bass Traveller 151P & 121H (rehearsal)
FX: Line 6 Helix; Smooth Hound Wireless

Bands: Half Life Trackside Sessions

#65 Tech21NYC

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:41 PM

View PostWolverinebass, on 19 August 2016 - 03:16 PM, said:

Yeah, fair enough about import tax and VAT, but are you actually trying to justify the fact that your Dug Pinnick amp is $1800 in the US and £2200 over here?!! When I worked that out before brexit I grant you that made it £900 more expensive over here. So much so that I could fly to New York, pick one up from your factory and still have change for a transformer with cash left over when I got back.

Which is all a great pity as you make really good gear. I would have thought you'd have some control of prices though.

In Europe the product is sold to a distributor and then sold to dealers. Kind of like my Lehle example. That product is sold to a distributor here and then sold to dealers. In the US we sell directly to dealers and we have MAP pricing. There is no middle man or extra shipping. We can't dictate what European dealers charge for their products. I'm sure they base it on a number of factors. It's a drag but we don't dictate prices over there. I think in part this is due to the fact that the US is so large and competitive. We do have sales tax from state to state but if I buy a product from California and have it shipped here to the east coast there is no sales tax. Now if its from a big company like Apple Computer that sells in every state there will be a tax. Plus the shipping will vary as well. Some of the bigger online retailers operate on such small margins they have to sell a ton of stuff to make any profit. That's really hard for a small dealer to compete with. Even here it's hard. Years back I worked for a small music store. We would sell something like a Yamaha keyboard at the standard discount and 6 months later the bigger retailers would be selling it below our cost to blow them out and we'd be stuck. We stopped carrying certain products for that reason.

#66 chrisanthony1211

Just the Funk....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Interests:Bass, chess, funk!

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:48 AM

Just picked me of these up from hotrox in Nottingham, not had much time to play with it yet, but it looks as though it's going to be doing everything I want it to, and in such a small and cool little box. Rehersal next week to put it through its paces, gonna use the DI and put it through the pa, I shall report back!
Fender Precision 1964 (Fiesta red)
Fender Precision 1973 (Sunburst)
Fender Precision AVRI 1963 (Sonic blue)
Mesa Boogie Walkabout 15
Mark bass CMD121p
Mark bass NY121
Tech 21 Fly bass rig

Feedback
http://basschat.co.u...risanthony1211/

#67 visog

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • Interests:Bass obviously!

Posted 16 October 2016 - 11:37 AM

Wow - this guy makes it sound awesome....

https://www.youtube....h?v=rUC3FbJwUEg

#68 visog

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • Interests:Bass obviously!

Posted 19 October 2016 - 06:46 AM

Hello,

Me again... the Anderton chaps have done a good a video on it too in case you haven't seen it...

https://www.youtube....h?v=BxpdqI76t_Y

#69 chrisanthony1211

Just the Funk....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Interests:Bass, chess, funk!

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:08 PM

I'm absolutely loving mine, these are great pedals, it has everything on it I could need, one slight disappointment was that it didn't come with a decent case, however I found perfect case for this on ebay, now I've put some foam in it looks like it could have been made for it, I shall post a picture when I get chance.
Fender Precision 1964 (Fiesta red)
Fender Precision 1973 (Sunburst)
Fender Precision AVRI 1963 (Sonic blue)
Mesa Boogie Walkabout 15
Mark bass CMD121p
Mark bass NY121
Tech 21 Fly bass rig

Feedback
http://basschat.co.u...risanthony1211/

#70 landwomble

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:21 PM

I was thinking of buying a Bass Driver when I saw this. Am I right in thinking everything you can do with a BD you can do with this plus the extra effects?

#71 Muppet

ppppick up a penguin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:05 PM

View Postlandwomble, on 26 October 2016 - 07:21 PM, said:

I was thinking of buying a Bass Driver when I saw this. Am I right in thinking everything you can do with a BD you can do with this plus the extra effects?

This doesn't have the blend function or the frequency selection for bass and mid, but primarily the same.

#72 landwomble

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:15 PM

Blend mixes wet drive with dry signal? I think I want that unless the "character" knob does similar? I want grit, not full on metal...

#73 dannybuoy

Bedroom Fiddler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,879 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 12:22 AM

Character is essentially a mid control placed before the overdrive section.

If you want grit, just turn the gain down - with the gain low, you can even have cleans at 100% blend. Mild overdrive always sounds best fully wet IMHO as long as there's enough low end - the blend is only useful to me at high gain where all that crunch robs your signal of low end and dynamics.

Edited by dannybuoy, 27 October 2016 - 12:23 AM.

#74 Sibob

Beyond hope

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 07:04 PM

Shame they didn't see fit to seperate out the octave, fuzz & envelope onto seperate footswitches, way more useful than a boost (lazy inclusion from someone with a guitar mindset) & chorus.
Still a nice piece of gear, but couldn't replace a good setup of individuals for me at the mo, shame.

My guitarist friend has the Richie Kotzen one and loves it!

Si

BassChat Terms and Conditions

Instagram/Twitter: @SimonRPoulton | Blog (Bassist Interviews etc)

#75 Tech21NYC

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 02:18 PM

View PostSibob, on 31 October 2016 - 07:04 PM, said:

Shame they didn't see fit to seperate out the octave, fuzz & envelope onto seperate footswitches, way more useful than a boost (lazy inclusion from someone with a guitar mindset) & chorus.
Still a nice piece of gear, but couldn't replace a good setup of individuals for me at the mo, shame.

My guitarist friend has the Richie Kotzen one and loves it!

Si

The concept for the Bass Fly Rig was a small portable solution for "fly dates" or for players that get stuck using back line gear that does not deliver the sound they require. It was not meant to be a be all and end all replacement for your dream rig. It can be used in conjunction with your main rig to easily add some extra utility. The main focus was the analog engine. The Octafilter section was more of a bonus effect to utilize some of the leftover DSP power from the chorus section. To add switches for the Octafilter section would increase the size of the unit, the cost and would also necessitate extra controls for each section and there is not enough DSP power to do that. The Boost section has been requested by a number of bass players and it also gives more flexibility for those that wish to run a cleaner overall sound and add distortion to that sound or use the boost for extra output to either punctuate a passage or give extra level for a solo section.

#76 Sibob

Beyond hope

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 04:04 PM

View PostTech21NYC, on 02 November 2016 - 02:18 PM, said:

The concept for the Bass Fly Rig was a small portable solution for "fly dates" or for players that get stuck using back line gear that does not deliver the sound they require. It was not meant to be a be all and end all replacement for your dream rig. It can be used in conjunction with your main rig to easily add some extra utility. The main focus was the analog engine. The Octafilter section was more of a bonus effect to utilize some of the leftover DSP power from the chorus section. To add switches for the Octafilter section would increase the size of the unit, the cost and would also necessitate extra controls for each section and there is not enough DSP power to do that. The Boost section has been requested by a number of bass players and it also gives more flexibility for those that wish to run a cleaner overall sound and add distortion to that sound or use the boost for extra output to either punctuate a passage or give extra level for a solo section.

Absolutely, I work in a similar industry (in fact our office deals with the calls for your UK distributor) so fully understand that you can't make the perfect product for all users. As it stands, it looks like a great piece of gear, but personally I would find individual Fuzz, Octave & Envelope on separate switches way more useful than clean boost & Chorus. My idea would be to have an Envelope switch, a Fuzz switch & and octave switch separated out, no boost, and the chorus effect sitting on a control/knob on the octave switch. Whether there's a DSP restriction here, I don't know, possible, but the size of the unit would be the same, same amount of switches etc.

Anyway, just thinking out loud :). Always loved Tech 21 stuff, this looks great, just would personally prefer a little different layout as I could then swap out my 5 pedal setup for this :)

Cheers, great to see you on here too btw, more companies should get involved.
Si

BassChat Terms and Conditions

Instagram/Twitter: @SimonRPoulton | Blog (Bassist Interviews etc)

#77 Muppet

ppppick up a penguin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:11 PM

I use mine for exactly as described, a transportable setup to cover the main components of my sound when it's not practical to take a full setup or when I'm just lazy. I like the boost and the chorus as I can boost the Sansamp for extra drive when needed or for [rare] solos. Not tried it with my main board but it's on my list to do.

#78 NoirBass

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:44 PM

Just picked up a BFR today. This is going to make my gigs (and getting to them) a lot easier. I shall report back after some real life experience.

#79 NoirBass

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:36 PM

So, 2 gigs down.

Playing Blues, R&B and a little Bluesy Jazz with a P bass straight through the BFR into the FOH via XLR. Using a 1x15 monitor wedge supplied by the venue for foldback.

First gig with new gear is always a learning curve. Went for an SVT type sound, and pretty much stayed with that, no compression. It coped fine. However I wasn't entirely happy with my sound, but it was OK.

Gig 2 tonight and I had a bit more time to properly play with the eq. The controls are highly interactive and after much tweaking settled on something closely resembling the Fat Tube sound in the manual. Really happy with how it sounded. Added the compression in too - very lightly, to even things up a bit. So far so good.

Edited by NoirBass, 20 November 2016 - 09:38 PM.

#80 bazztard

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Interests:Learning YYZ note for note :)

Posted 21 November 2016 - 05:28 AM

try $750 in Australia lol

The VT Deluxe is around the same price, crazy Tech21 crazy. So I bought two used VTs for $120 each so I can have two different settings lol

PS how cool would it be if these were individual modules you could put together in various combinations of effects?

Edited by bazztard, 21 November 2016 - 05:32 AM.

The optimist sees the glass half full, the pessimist sees it half empty. The realist finishes it and orders another one

#81 lefrash

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 05:25 PM

View Postbazztard, on 21 November 2016 - 05:28 AM, said:

try $750 in Australia lol

The VT Deluxe is around the same price, crazy Tech21 crazy. So I bought two used VTs for $120 each so I can have two different settings lol

PS how cool would it be if these were individual modules you could put together in various combinations of effects?

Like a pedal board? 😂😂

#82 bazztard

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Interests:Learning YYZ note for note :)

Posted 23 November 2016 - 03:55 AM

yeah but thinner and lighter coz you don't need the BOARD :)
The optimist sees the glass half full, the pessimist sees it half empty. The realist finishes it and orders another one

#83 NoirBass

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 12:09 AM

4 gigs down now, this thing is great. Really enjoying the portability and fantastic sound. Also enjoying irritating my guitarist by tuning up with it. - it's the pedal that keeps on giving.

#84 NoirBass

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:47 PM

5th gig tonight, outdoors - brrrr, its cold!

This time Yamaha 1025, large PA, IEM's. Flyrig was awesome, I feel like I've got the hang of the compressor now so had that switched on all night. Used the chorus for a couple of tunes. Even punched in a qwacky octave down for a few sections. Overall I'm really happy with the Bass Fly Rig, money well spent.

Edited by NoirBass, 25 November 2016 - 10:48 PM.

#85 NoirBass

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:50 AM

Several more gigs under the belt with the Flyrig, still enjoying it. Here's a pic from my gig last night - Squier Silver Series P with a few mods and Jameson Labella Flats -> Bass Flyrig -> GK MB200 -> monitor wedge (supplied by the venue). Minimal, but perfect for my restaurant gig in town:

Edited by NoirBass, 05 December 2016 - 08:15 AM.

#86 Muppet

ppppick up a penguin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:46 PM

What settings have you settled with for the compressor? I'm running the Sansamp pretty much all the time but haven't sorted the octave yet.

#87 NoirBass

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:12 AM

View PostMuppet, on 04 December 2016 - 03:46 PM, said:

What settings have you settled with for the compressor? I'm running the Sansamp pretty much all the time but haven't sorted the octave yet.

This is pretty much how I set it up, small tweaks to taste on the gig. I'll use the amp to Eq the room and keep the Flyrig as set in the pic. XLR out from the Flyrig goes to the desk. I keep the Sansamp stage fairly clean and always on, I'll add a slight drive with the boost if need be. The compression is quite subtle just to fatten things up a bit:

Edited by NoirBass, 05 December 2016 - 08:21 AM.

#88 sk8

Currently playing bass for BoF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:33 PM

just picked one up. Going to see how it performs against my current pre amp
Basses - Fender American 2008 Standard P, ACG J Type Custom, Zoot Talisman Custom Tele Bass, Godin A4 Ultra
Amps and Cabs - Bugera 1960, Purple Chili V15, AER Amp One, EHX Magnum 44
Pedals - Polytune mini, EHX Nano POG and Switchblade+, Maxon CP9Pro+, Wee Lush Mixie Loopy, EQD Acapulco Clone, Noble Pre Amp
Line6 Sonic Port, Jamup and BIAS
StageClix Wireless, Hercules Stands, OBBM Cables

#89 casapete

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:37 AM

Quite a good deal on these here at the moment.

http://www.gear4musi...m_source=criteo

#90 Low End Bee

Knows three of the Members

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts
  • Interests:Brentford FC
    HP sauce
    Brothel Creepers
    Not being abducted by Aliens

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:22 AM

View Postcasapete, on 12 January 2017 - 10:37 AM, said:

Quite a good deal on these here at the moment.

http://www.gear4musi...m_source=criteo

Very tempting. I'm thinking of going amp free for my next project.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users