Why become a member? ×

tech 21 bass fly rig

danbowskill

[quote name='Tech21NYC' timestamp='1478096302' post='3166715']
The concept for the Bass Fly Rig was a small portable solution for "fly dates" or for players that get stuck using back line gear that does not deliver the sound they require. It was not meant to be a be all and end all replacement for your dream rig. It can be used in conjunction with your main rig to easily add some extra utility. The main focus was the analog engine. The Octafilter section was more of a bonus effect to utilize some of the leftover DSP power from the chorus section. To add switches for the Octafilter section would increase the size of the unit, the cost and would also necessitate extra controls for each section and there is not enough DSP power to do that. The Boost section has been requested by a number of bass players and it also gives more flexibility for those that wish to run a cleaner overall sound and add distortion to that sound or use the boost for extra output to either punctuate a passage or give extra level for a solo section.
[/quote]

Absolutely, I work in a similar industry (in fact our office deals with the calls for your UK distributor) so fully understand that you can't make the perfect product for all users. As it stands, it looks like a great piece of gear, but personally I would find individual Fuzz, Octave & Envelope on separate switches way more useful than clean boost & Chorus. My idea would be to have an Envelope switch, a Fuzz switch & and octave switch separated out, no boost, and the chorus effect sitting on a control/knob on the octave switch. Whether there's a DSP restriction here, I don't know, possible, but the size of the unit would be the same, same amount of switches etc.

Anyway, just thinking out loud :). Always loved Tech 21 stuff, this looks great, just would personally prefer a little different layout as I could then swap out my 5 pedal setup for this :)

Cheers, great to see you on here too btw, more companies should get involved.
Si

I use mine for exactly as described, a transportable setup to cover the main components of my sound when it's not practical to take a full setup or when I'm just lazy. I like the boost and the chorus as I can boost the Sansamp for extra drive when needed or for [rare] solos. Not tried it with my main board but it's on my list to do.

• 3 weeks later...

So, 2 gigs down.

Playing Blues, R&B and a little Bluesy Jazz with a P bass straight through the BFR into the FOH via XLR. Using a 1x15 monitor wedge supplied by the venue for foldback.

First gig with new gear is always a learning curve. Went for an SVT type sound, and pretty much stayed with that, no compression. It coped fine. However I wasn't entirely happy with my sound, but it was OK.

Gig 2 tonight and I had a bit more time to properly play with the eq. The controls are highly interactive and after much tweaking settled on something closely resembling the Fat Tube sound in the manual. Really happy with how it sounded. Added the compression in too - very lightly, to even things up a bit. So far so good.

Edited by NoirBass

try $750 in Australia lol

The VT Deluxe is around the same price, crazy Tech21 crazy. So I bought two used VTs for $120 each so I can have two different settings lol

PS how cool would it be if these were individual modules you could put together in various combinations of effects?

Edited by bazztard

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1479706117' post='3178547']
try $750 in Australia lol

The VT Deluxe is around the same price, crazy Tech21 crazy. So I bought two used VTs for $120 each so I can have two different settings lol

PS how cool would it be if these were individual modules you could put together in various combinations of effects?
[/quote]

Like a pedal board? 😂😂

5th gig tonight, outdoors - brrrr, its cold!

This time Yamaha 1025, large PA, IEM's. Flyrig was awesome, I feel like I've got the hang of the compressor now so had that switched on all night. Used the chorus for a couple of tunes. Even punched in a qwacky octave down for a few sections. Overall I'm really happy with the Bass Fly Rig, money well spent.

Edited by NoirBass

• 2 weeks later...

Several more gigs under the belt with the Flyrig, still enjoying it. Here's a pic from my gig last night - Squier Silver Series P with a few mods and Jameson Labella Flats -> Bass Flyrig -> GK MB200 -> monitor wedge (supplied by the venue). Minimal, but perfect for my restaurant gig in town:

Edited by NoirBass

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1480866408' post='3187646']
What settings have you settled with for the compressor? I'm running the Sansamp pretty much all the time but haven't sorted the octave yet.
[/quote]

This is pretty much how I set it up, small tweaks to taste on the gig. I'll use the amp to Eq the room and keep the Flyrig as set in the pic. XLR out from the Flyrig goes to the desk. I keep the Sansamp stage fairly clean and always on, I'll add a slight drive with the boost if need be. The compression is quite subtle just to fatten things up a bit:

Edited by NoirBass

• 1 month later...

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1484217425' post='3213562']
Quite a good deal on these here at the moment.

[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Tech-21-Bass-Fly-Rig-Multi-effects-Bass-Pedal/1MK2?utm_medium=display&network=criteo&retargeting_or_placement=retargeting&utm_source=criteo"]http://www.gear4musi...m_source=criteo[/url]
[/quote]

Very tempting. I'm thinking of going amp free for my next project.

Mine turned up in the post yesterday. Had a brief try out until an unexpected 70s style power cut had me heading for the candles.

The sections:
Sansamp. Very good as I expected from owning a BDDI. Lots of nice fat bass sounds. Hard to get a bad one. I like having a mid and the character and bite controls work well roo.
Comp. Pretty good too. Not too overwhelming and very useable.
Octa/Filter. Lots of nice sounds in here. Probably use for outros or middle 8's one or two songs a set at most though.
Chorus. As a very rare user one knob is all I need :blink: Sounds very useable again.

Other bits:
Tuner. Nice and bright easy to use and appears accurate when I checked with my TU2. Doubles as a mute. I like this.
Headphone out. Most welcome.
Boost. Great for adding a bit of drive/volume.

The metal case feels very sturdy. I like the lit up controls. I can't wait to hear it in a band mix and use it for recording as that's where the real proof is.
I can understand it's not for everyone but it's almost a duplicate of the pedals I use. All the bits are more than good enough for what I want. I'm not going to be playing prog or anything too musical with it. I just need a good solid bass sound with a couple of curveballs thrown in now and then that I can stick in my bass case. From past experience as soon as you say 'can I DI from my sansamp?' to a sound person they all do a sigh of relief knowing they can forget about bass and spend an eternity on the drums so that's a big plus too.

Once I've used it properly in anger I shall report back.

I like mine and it's very useful. Headphone noise is unacceptable with the supplied power supply though and neither Tech21 or the importer could give a toss about helping me sort it, both referring me to the other. A regulated power supply sorts the problem.

Comp is surprisingly good, boost is good, tuner is excellent, chorus is useable unless you rely on a very coloured chorus for your signature sound, Sansamp section is brilliant (naturally). Still can't get to grips with the octave/fuzz section.

Best bit is the size and build quality.

• 1 month later...

So if Tech 21 aren't aware of these already, they'll want to be lol

Looks like the Valeton (purveyor of tiny chinese pedals) are putting out, what certainly look like, FlyRig clones. Looks like the Bass one will launch in April some time:

[IMG]http://i65.tinypic.com/zv2tz.png[/IMG]

No idea on price, but maybe around £150

Si