Why become a member? ×

Ashdown CMT300

nash

I have the CTM 100 also. Fantastic sounding amp - natural tone to die for. All things being equal, I'd have gone for the 300 but just too damn heavy to be practical for me. However I can say for sure that the 100 is plenty loud enough for gigging (in a loud band) accepting that it gets a little snarly - in a good way - when cranked. So I'm not sure the 100 would run "clean" at gigging back-line volume - but I think its intended to get the grit from the powerstage before being overwhelmingly loud. Its not like full-on fuzzy at that level (unless you bump the gain also), but there is a definite bite going on.

I guess the 300 might be better if you either want clean/warm all the way up, or playing especially large venues (or have no concerns about the weight issue!!). But the 100 is fine for small-medium gigs.

Its worth saying that the EQ is subtle to say the least (and that's being nice about it).I find it benefits from an external EQ when using a passive bass (not with an active one), because convincing two marshalled-up guitarists to tweak their usual settings (to accommodate where it sits in the mix) is just too much like hard work. I'm sure the EQ would be fine if you can get the rest of the band to shift over a little bit!

Edited by BluRay

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1453481032' post='2959933']
(Merton, old chap - do you mean to say you've bought another one?)
[/quote]

Yes :blush:

I missed it so much I was considering saving some money for Ashdown to make me one and then one appeared in my town for a stupidly low price so I couldn't resist!

Edited by Merton

[quote name='nash' timestamp='1453480879' post='2959930']
Cheers guys.

Can't wait to get the 300.

I'll be getting their 8x10 soon after. I have seen they do a line of cabs with a long speaker guarantee.
[/quote]

Their ABM Foundation range has a lifetime guarantee, well worth a look!

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1453482007' post='2959952']
i use a mag 810t with my ctm 100! i dnt care if its heavy! my god the sound make up for it!

Andy
[/quote]

I remember preferring the MAG 810 to the ABM as well. But this was about 10 years ago now.

• 1 year later...

king at the Dood's review, he said that if you zero the EQ controls you get no output. This suggests a passive Fender type tone stack like the original Bassman (and guitar amps).

The output valves are KT88s. These are real beasts and knock 6500s and EL34s into a cocked hat. So I guess this is a real old school amp (pre amp). ~Maybe it's the Bassman Fender should have built?

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1487089937' post='3236949']
king at the Dood's review, he said that if you zero the EQ controls you get no output. This suggests a passive Fender type tone stack like the original Bassman (and guitar amps).

The output valves are KT88s. These are real beasts and knock 6500s and EL34s into a cocked hat. So I guess this is a real old school amp (pre amp). ~Maybe it's the Bassman Fender should have built?
[/quote]

I believe my LB30 does this too.