Why become a member? ×

Orange 4-stroke series

JapanAxe

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1453502865' post='2960222']
Those graphics are like a parody of a bass amp.

I particularly like the graphic for the [foot] + [switch] = [compression]

They couldn't have made it any more literal if they'd tried.
[/quote]

In fairness to Orange they've been parodying amps since the the '72 'Pix Only'. It is their thang

• 3 months later...

Apologies for re-booting an older thread. But I was lucky enough to visit Orange HQ a couple days ago to try a couple of the new heads. Ive been using their 8x10 cab for a few years now with a number of different heads (none of them Orange). Rightly or wrongly I went with a preconceived view that I was going to be choosing a favourite from either the AD200b or the OB-1. I was genuinely shocked by the 4-stroke's quality. As many have expressed on here, I was concerned with a lack of 'Pre-Gain' control, I love to add a bit of bite and aggression before the EQ stage. However bringing in the Compression control acted like a really versatile gain control, adding grunt and bite as the knob went up. I was really impressed, totally opposite to the clinical tone I was expecting. The EQ section on the 4-Stroke was nice and powerful and perfect for someone like me that really likes to dial in certain frequencies. To be honest, it made the AD200b look like a stone age one trick pony. As the Orange employee rightly said, 'the AD is more of a sledgehammer than a precision tool'.

For me, the OB-1 just didn't do it. The Drive control was a bit fizzy. Although the distortion was post EQ (so the EQ did effect the distortion) I still struggled to get the sound that was in my head out of the 8x10 cab. Unlike something like a Sansamp BDDI which blends the original signal and the effected single really well, the blend control on the OB-1 was still quite separated. Like I said, just not for me.

I'd just like to say I am no way affiliated with Orange. All food for thought. I just thought I'd post my experience with the head for anyone who'd be interested. There doesn't seem to be much else kicking about the net!

Edited by jrobjumpsship