Why become a member? ×

Anyone using Fender Vintage pickups on a MIM P-bass?

Mornats

I've got a 2015 MIM Fender Precision (lovely bass) that I'm thinking about upgrading with Fender Vintage P bass pickups. These are the ones I'm looking at: http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_vintage_pbass_pickup.htm

Has anyone done the same upgrade and can comment on how much of an improvement they are? The sound of my P bass is lacking something that I can't quite put my finger on. I use Entwistle neodymium JBXN pickups in my Squier jazz and that has some serious growl on it. I though about the PBXN pickups for the P bass but I wanted a classic vintage sound rather than a P bas on steroids sound.

Any thoughts? Open to other recommendations too actually. (Is that a can of worms I hear opening? :) )

I recommend Custom Shop 62's for a nice balanced vintage precision tone. Wasn't sure what I thought of them at first because I was used to SD Quarter Pounders, which have a beautiful heavy thump to them - if you're after some weight and presence, those are awesome - but the 62's are perhaps a bit more refined, and versatile. I love both though, I have the qp's in my fretted and the 62s in my fretless.

• 3 weeks later...

I've chopped and changed the pickups in my Precision and now have Fender custom shop pickups, that cost me about £100. I've tried el cheapo Squiers, vintage 1970's Seymour Duncans and now the CS jobs, But frankly, nobody can hear the difference except me.

Recorded, the custom shop ones sound a bit wider in the mix (if you know what I mean?) but playing with a band there is no discernible difference.

I`ve got the pickup in the OPs question in a MIM Precision. It has a more even sound across the tone, I find that the MIMs are a tad more aggressive. If looking for a more traditional P-Bass sound these are the guys imo. I actually bought my 2015 US Standard which has these in as stock, based on a soundclip of Spongebobs US Standard that he was selling - I knew I had to have a Precision making that sound. From there I then knew my backup MIM had to also have that sound. I really rate these pickups, react well to all eq changes, and adding drive, never get shrill or toppy, always full-bodied and rich sounding.