Why become a member? ×

G&L M2000 with pickguard (for Mcnach)

Jakester

I've long been a G&L enthusiast - over my limited bass-playing career I've owned L2000 and L2500 tributes, and a USA L2500, but each time there's been a reason to part with the instrument - for the L2000, it was the neck, for the L2500T it was an inability to get to grips with 5 strings, and the USA was simply down to lack of use not justifying owning such a lovely guitar.

Each time I've managed to sell it to someone on here and I recently snagged an M2000 Tribute at a great price, and the neck is absolutely amazing - exactly what I was looking for with the first L2000. Unfortunately although I love the playability, the looks are a little prosaic for my taste. It just looks a little 80's with the plain white finish, so I've been after a pickguard for it, but there's nothing off the shelf.

Then I saw Jose (Mcnach) selling the custom scratchplate he had made for the L2000T I sold to him and it seemed like fate!

It arrived, and it breaks up the all white body nicely, but because it was designed with the L2000 controls in mind, it slightly fouls the volume control - nothing a couple of minutes with a file won't sort.

Still, looks good! I may stick with it for a while and then possibly use it to get a tort plate made down the line...

*edit* sorry for the pics being at 90degrees - not sure how that happened!

Edited by Jakester

I like the scratchplate on.
But it would look far better tort, or something similar, IMO.
To my eyes, G&L always look a little bland.
The body shape doesn't quite work, neither does the headstock.
But that's just my view.
They are great to play and hear.

I really like the look - its certainly a one-off - at present. I have a blueburst L2000 and asked when buying if G&l supplied scratch-plates. They don't. Can I ask where Mr Mcnach had this one made up please. I was going to go for a clear one just for protection but what colour would suit the b/b? Paddy.

Grayn, I agree tort (or possibly parchment/mint) would work, but as a proof of concept I think it works well.

Here's Mcnach's original thread :

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/233062-designing-a-pickguard-for-my-gl-l2000-what-do-you-think/page__fromsearch__1

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...