Why become a member? ×

Sansamp Bass Driver

Lozz196

Just a brief topic re the above. I`ve been recording over the weekend, and the engineer both miced my cab up, and had the bass DI`d through a Sansamp Bass Driver. The amp was set to my regular settings, and the Sansamp with all controls at midday, aside from blend on full, and a slight boost on the highs.

Well I`ve had the Bass Driver in the past, and I`d always set the amps eq flat and got my sound with the Bass Driver. But with the two signals together, my amps eq and the added warmth/bite of the Sansamp, well the sound was amazing. So much so I`ve gone and bought one, as I`m having that sound live from now on. For one, no point in having a sound on a CD that you don`t use live, and secondly, well it was so awesome I just have to have that sound. Seeing as the recording is roughly 50/50 on amp/Sansamp, I`ll set the blend control to midday too I think.

So pleased, and in the past I`d dismissed these as being pretty much too full-on for me, making the bass indistinct, scooped and mushy. Now I see the problem was the way I used it. Totally changed my views on these.

I always thought they sounded awsome and lovely as a recorded sound as well.....but after having 2 in the past I just could not get to grips with it in a live band mix ,I tweaked n tweaked and it always seemed to get lost in the mix in places :-( never had that with the VT

Edited by danbowskill

Yes the VT is an awesome little bit of kit too. Much like you Dan, I could never get what I really wanted live form the Bass Driver - also had 2 in the past - but I think the trick I`ve found, or rather been shown, is get the sound wanted from the amp, then add in the Bass Driver set flat, but with either a bit of treble or presence to cut through. But then the sound I use is a very trebly, gnarly, gainy sound so maybe it`s strengths are adding to that?