Why become a member? ×

IEC kettle leads with US plugs..where to buy in UK?

Twigman

Buy standard 4-way extensions and fit US plugs to the leads. That way you can power all your gear without needing to change the plugs and no-one else will unplug your gear to use the sockets. Remember though that this will only work with gear that has either a 110V setting or auto switching for voltage. Also bear in mind that some digital equipment doesn't respond well to being run at a different AC frequency (50Hz in the UK, 60 in the US).

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1453639886' post='2961251']
Also bear in mind that some digital equipment doesn't respond well to being run at a different AC frequency (50Hz in the UK, 60 in the US).
[/quote]

Which equipment has a problem with that? I haven't found anything in the last few decades that had a problem with it (used to live in the states)

Does that mean our Roland D50 synth will have a problem?
It doesn't have a 110V switch on it but we are looking at getting a transformer but hadn't considerd the frequency difference.

And as for the idea of making up an extension lead with US plug instead of 2 kettle leads...2 points 1) didn't want to do that as luggage space limited and 2) Where do I get a US plug in UK?

I guess you will be gigging in the states. Ive done that a few times and there has always been a transformer provided for 110-240 and our keyboard player never had any problems with his gear he had a korg m1 and a roland d50 plus a sampler. The frequency i doubt would be a problem because the innards of those are fed with a stabilised dc supply. You could try Maplins for a lead or get one from radio shack or circuit city when you get there.

Edited by jazzyvee

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1453642074' post='2961280']
Does that mean our Roland D50 synth will have a problem?
It doesn't have a 110V switch on it but we are looking at getting a transformer but hadn't considerd the frequency difference.
[/quote]

Make sure that you get a transformer with a sufficient rating to power the D50.

Regarding digital gear, it's always been the older stuff that seems to cope less well with the change in AC frequency. I had a couple of US made digital delays from the mid to late 80s whose display times were always out by difference between the US and UK mains frequency.

Personally I'd have a look to see if it would be possible to hire a D50 in the US and just bring a laptop loaded with a MIDI dump of the sounds that you need.

If you don't want to go the 4-way extension route, then Maplins sell all the parts you need to make up your own mains leads.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1453644897' post='2961313']

Personally I'd have a look to see if it would be possible to hire a D50 in the US and just bring a laptop loaded with a MIDI dump of the sounds that you need.

[/quote]
We have a battery powered card for the slot on the D50 ,containing a dump of all our sounds, which we used to use when using hired D50s on EU flyaways.
We stopped hiring D50s and started taking our own as the EU hire stock all appeared to be broken!
The D50 is getting old now (1986/87) and I would be concerned as to the reliability of any hired D50....there's nothing worse than finding the keyboard has a host of non functioning keys.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1453645536' post='2961322']
We have a battery powered card for the slot on the D50 ,containing a dump of all our sounds, which we used to use when using hired D50s on EU flyaways.
We stopped hiring D50s and started taking our own as the EU hire stock all appeared to be broken!
The D50 is getting old now (1986/87) and I would be concerned as to the reliability of any hired D50....there's nothing worse than finding the keyboard has a host of non functioning keys.
[/quote]

I'd now be looking at a modern replacement for it. At least get a full service by one of the reputable synth repairers. Do you know how the internal memories are maintained? A lot of programmable gear from this era uses a rechargeable battery soldered to a circuit board inside. Eventually these fail and not only do the user programmed sounds get wiped, but they can leak damaging other components on the board around them. I've had several items of vintage digital gear fail on me this way.

our own is well maintaned and regularly serviced....and the card with the sounds on it has a removable coin battery and the synth can read direct from the card if necessary

A modern replacement? We've tried but replicating the sound of a D50 isn't easy....

Edited by Twigman

• 3 weeks later...