Why become a member? ×

DR DDT's which gauge?

Guest MoJo

I play in a band that detunes a half step and I find my usual Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys (45-105) too loose (34" scale length Yamaha BB414), particularly as I play quite hard sometimes. I'm thinking about trying some DR DDT's but I don't know whether the 45-105 set will provide enough extra tension for my needs or whether I should go for the heavier 50-110. Does anyone have any experience of these strings?

Out of interest have you used any other strings with that bass? String tension can vary quite a bit between manufacturers - even when gauges are the same.

Also Eb tuning isn't particularly low either so i'd imagine the tension would be pretty high with DDT's so I'd probably say the 45 set would do.
Although I've no experience with DDT's.

I personally use DR Nickel Lo Riders as I find them to be higher than normal tension compared to other strings I've used. They handle Eb fine! :)

45-105 should be fine. If I am honest though I didn't find the strings to be any more suitable to downtuning than a standard 105-45 set. A half step down is a pretty small adjustment and should be easily achievable with standard strings and a decent set up.

I have used the the 45-105 set and the 115-55 set. I used the 115-55 set for tuning to D standard. They were okay, but pretty unbalanced in that the 'D' and 'G' strings were really tight until I tuned down to about C standard, by which time the E string was getting pretty floppy. Dunlop do a similar line of 'downtuning' strings that are a bit cheaper so you could try them.

Perhaps try the D'addario balanced tension set as well. They do a set that is something like 45-107.

I went with the 45-105 and, like thodrik above, I could detect little if no difference in the tension when compared to standard 45-105's. The DDT's can be tuned to concert pitch and feel fine. I have used 45-105's in this band for some time, I just fancied something with a bit more tension. Sadly the DDT's did not deliver. Perhaps I'll go for some cheaper, heavier 50-110 'standard' strings