Why become a member? ×

Boss limiter enhancer tone loss

uk_lefty

Hi everyone. I'm finding my formerly trusty boss limiter enhancer now a bit inedictable. It used to be easy, it was in my signal chain to get rid of the loud clunk from engaging my ehx pedals and also to help me even out the dynamics when changing from one bass to another. This worked successfully for some time but I'm now experiencing a weird effect, particularly with my fretless, which really needs the enhance function. Basically I get almost a delay from playing the note to then hearing a highly compressed sound out the amp with lots of the character gone. My amp has a variable compressor and I now have a Hartke VXL in my chain. Do I still need the limiter enhancer or do I just need to be more patient with finding the settings (and writing them down!!)

I absolutely hate the enhancer on this pedal. It's great as a limiter. Do you have the compressor on your amp turned on? If so that could explain the "delay" you're hearing

(two compressors both with a fast attack pushed pretty hard would slow the attack of the envelope significantly)

My fretless is much lower output. I'm keen to use it with my band but it's such a contrast to my main bass (MIJ P with Steve Harris pickups and strings) I don't want unnecessary messing about. I also have a jazz that I use occasionally but unlikely with the band at the moment.

My current thinking is to keep it on the board on an "enhance" setting and use only with the fretless.

I think also going from my trace rig at home to the rehearsal spaces SVT isn't helping me find the right consistency... Trace will be coming to more rehearsals from now on. And I will be world's strongest man 2017.

Ok so I think I solved it... Turned off the Amp eq and tinkered with the hartke vxl to get the tone right. Put the limiter enhancer on to a decent enhance setting, worked a treat. Still not bringing out as much mwah as I would like but this bass doesn't so much ime over 14 years with it! Got a good set up for that bass now, turning the limiter enhancer off for other basses

Love the 'ping' Tom, love it ha! :lol:

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1454006116' post='2965367']
Ok so I think I solved it... Turned off the Amp eq and tinkered with the hartke vxl to get the tone right. Put the limiter enhancer on to a decent enhance setting, worked a treat. Still not bringing out as much mwah as I would like but this bass doesn't so much ime over 14 years with it! Got a good set up for that bass now, turning the limiter enhancer off for other basses
[/quote]

Glad you sorted it man.. B)