Why become a member? ×

String Spacing - Hipshot Bridge

ZenBasses

Hey,

So I am doing the usual cleaning and changing batteries that I always so when getting a new set of strings and it occurred to me.

How can I set the string spacing on this Hipshot bridge?...I could aim for directly between the poles on the pickup.. But they are not exposed.

So I guess i am looking at 19mm..but where from?

The centre of each saddle to the next?

But then how far from the edge of the base plate does the first one start ?

Also this bridge has tightening screws that I always assumed locked the spacing in. Last time o had it setup they guitar tech (well respected) said they should always be loose.

I am pretty good at saddle adjustment for intonation and string height. Using feeler gauges and the like.

But I am struggling to find a good article on this type of bridge as they saddles move all over the place.

Hopefully the link below works

Many thanks

https://goo.gl/photos/YT99TpkABN2KB5Js8

Surely it's down to the pickup sensing areas?
Then making the strings sit across the neck- without the outer strings going over the edge.
Then set to your preference. The 19mm is usually string centre to centre.
I haven't used one of those bridges before but any other 3d adjustable bridge I've always locked them in place. I can't see why you wouldn't ?
Did the tech explain why not to do this?

Edited by Dazed

[quote name='ZenBasses' timestamp='1453814526' post='2962968']I could aim for directly between the poles on the pickup.. But they are not exposed.[/quote]

You can locate the pole pieces pretty accurately with the tip of a small screwdriver. You'll be able to feel the magnetic pull from each pole piece.

Are you talking about the A style Hipshot bridge? If you leave the string spacing adjustment screw loose then the saddle is free to slide from side to side, I think this would be a bad thing. I always tighten the ones on the Supertone bridge (same saddles as the A style)