Why become a member? ×

What Will Take The Place Of Gigging?

blue

[quote name='martin8708' timestamp='1454190010' post='2967459']
What will take the place of gigging ?

There has always been a small percentage of people ( musicians / actors / musicians /comedians ) who feel the need to perform in front of people .

There has also been a large percentage of people who feel the need to be entertained .
Since medieval times ,and even earlier , jesters , jugglers , minstrals and acrobats have entertained the crowds ,the very same thing goes on in Covent Garden today .

Take football for example , few people actually play it , but millions watch it on TV .
I don't think gigging will ever go away , good bands with good showmanship will always be in demand .

As a frequent visitor to the Isle of Wight festival ( it's on my doorstep ) , the best gig I ever saw was Tom Jones , purely for the showmanship ,professionalism, interaction with audience , he just had the audience eating out of his hands . Tom is no spring chicken , but he knows how to put on a show , something the younger bands with their sulky sullen faces can learn from .
[/quote]

I always come off sounding like a pr**k. So don't take this the wrong way.

Tom is a once in a life time performer. A true soul man and one of the few left.

There's no one like him. I'll add that he has become better with age.

Now here's where I'll catch grief, it would surprise me if the younger bands even consider this master relevant no less be interested in learning anything from him.

To be honest,what Tom has can't be taught. I believe the man was born with a gift.

Blue

Edited by blue

We have a lot of interesting responses to the initial question.

For me, nothing will ever take the place of gigging. I'll do it until I'm physically unable to. When that happens I'm done. I'm not into teaching, recording, writing or production.

The pay off for me and the reason I play happens on stage and nowhere else.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1454195876' post='2967500']Now here's where I'll catch grief, it would surprise me if the younger bands even consider this master relevant no less be interested in learning anything from him.[/quote]

Now you're straying into 'Get off my lawn' territory. As someone with your rock pedigree should know, the kids are alright.

[quote name='AustinArto' timestamp='1454260569' post='2967957']

Now you're straying into 'Get off my lawn' territory. As someone with your rock pedigree should know, the kids are alright.
[/quote]

Yeah, I know I'm in "Get Off My Lawn" territory.It's nothing I'm proud of. It's just that I see a lot negative comments from the younger generation on some of the masters.

My only complaint is negative comments based on little to no knowledge about icons like Tom Jones.

The old "I Just Don't like It Comment" is a little thin to me. If an artist or a song doesn't resonate or connect with me, I'm going to be equipped to explain why.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='martin8708' timestamp='1454190010' post='2967459']
What will take the place of gigging ?

There has always been a small percentage of people ( musicians / actors / musicians /comedians ) who feel the need to perform in front of people .

There has also been a large percentage of people who feel the need to be entertained .
Since medieval times ,and even earlier , jesters , jugglers , minstrals and acrobats have entertained the crowds ,the very same thing goes on in Covent Garden today .

[/quote]

There is lots of busking across the UK and increasingly so in the last decade or two.

In Brighton where I live there are plenty of buskers out, especially at weekends of course, and especially as the weather gets better. A big range of genres and styles too. It's great.

Get your hand in your pocket.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1454265394' post='2968049']
The old "I Just Don't like It Comment" is a little thin to me. If an artist or a song doesn't resonate or connect with me, I'm going to be equipped to explain why.[/quote]

I think it's a fair enough response. But then I have to because that's all anybody ever says about my music...

Who's got time to critique every recording they don't like?

Edited by AustinArto

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1454266082' post='2968063']

But I see many many more negative comments from you on the younger generation. It's quite bewildering.
[/quote]

Maybe, and I would say some of my negative comments are justified and some are just me being pissed off.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1454265394' post='2968049']
The old "I Just Don't like It Comment" is a little thin to me. If an artist or a song doesn't resonate or connect with me, I'm going to be equipped to explain why.
[/quote]

Really?

So you have a technical reason why you don't like a song? Thats seems odd.

I don't like the stones. Never had, never seen what people saw in them, have always found them dull. Ditto the who. I have no technical reason why I don't like them, any more than I have any reason why I don't like gold on a les paul (ie, as the colour, a goldtop), or a bass. I just don't. So no, I am not equipped to explain why, other than they are uninteresting to me. Is that an explanation? Doesn't seem like one.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1454277082' post='2968236']

Really?

So you have a technical reason why you don't like a song? Thats seems odd.

I don't like the stones. Never had, never seen what people saw in them, have always found them dull. Ditto the who. I have no technical reason why I don't like them, any more than I have any reason why I don't like gold on a les paul (ie, as the colour, a goldtop), or a bass. I just don't. So no, I am not equipped to explain why, other than they are uninteresting to me. Is that an explanation? Doesn't seem like one.
[/quote]

Seems to pretty thin to me.

Regarding The Stones,most people who don't like them usually have little knowledge of their catalog and base their dislike on "Satisfaction". Which is usually the only Stones song they have ever listened to.

And they don't understand that The Stones, probably the most successful rock and roll band on the planet is about a lot more than songs and music.

Again, If I dislike a band or a song, I can at least tell you why,and I usually can site several reasons. If you can't explain why you don't like a certain band or song it might fly with some, but would have no credibility with me.

Oh yeah,my Gibson Gold Top Les Paul bass, I can only tell you why I like it. It has a look that represents tradition and the gold color is very 50s looking. A very cool time period for rock and roll. I also love the attention the traditional gold color brings when I gig it.

Question, do English people have any appreciation for any of your legendary bands that in terms of pop music put England on the map?

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1454364111' post='2969090']
Regarding The Stones,most people who don't like them usually have little knowledge of their catalog and base their dislike on "Satisfaction". Which is usually the only Stones song they have ever listened to.[/quote]

No, I have always had friends who liked the stones, and I suspect I have heard everything they have done. Endlessly again and again.

Again, If I dislike a band or a song, I can at least tell you why,and I usually can site several reasons. If you can't explain why you don't like a certain band or song it might fly with some, but would have no credibility with me.

Question, do English people have any appreciation for any of your legendary bands that in terms of pop music put England on the map?
[/quote]

I can cite that I don't find the stones at all interesting, its not the sort of music I like. Yes, I understand what effect they had on the world, and I have an appreciation for what they were when they came out, from what was around at the time, but it is not *my* music, it is my parents generation music (actually the half generation between me and my parents, I was born in 65), so I was already bored with it by the time I was a teenager.

It was an inspiration to the people who inspired me, and obviously it is important in that regard, but not directly to me, it is not something I can listen to (although I have played many songs of their many times).

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1454365294' post='2969111']

No, I have always had friends who liked the stones, and I suspect I have heard everything they have done. Endlessly again and again.

I can cite that I don't find the stones at all interesting, its not the sort of music I like. Yes, I understand what effect they had on the world, and I have an appreciation for what they were when they came out, from what was around at the time, but it is not *my* music, it is my parents generation music (actually the half generation between me and my parents, I was born in 65), so I was already bored with it by the time I was a teenager.

It was an inspiration to the people who inspired me, and obviously it is important in that regard, but not directly to me, it is not something I can listen to (although I have played many songs of their many times).
[/quote]

Not a bad rebuttal to my somewhat "snarky" commentary.

I didn't want to bring age into the debate. However it all made sense when you said it's your parents music.

To me you have explained why you don't care for The Stones. Your too young,they are not relevant to your generation. Funny, that 50 years old is too young for The Stones.

I try to stay current but like you your generations bands are not interesting or relevant to me. Your explanation is perfectly acceptable.

Funny, I saw The Stones this past Summer in a relatively small venue.Probably the 6th time I've seen them. It was more of a family event than the cool scenes they drew back my day.

You had all these guys my age, 63 who brought the wife and kids to the show to show them how cool their father use to be back in the 60s and 70s. Fact, those kids don't like being there and they don't care how cool their father use to be. Well, my kids don't. However, I don't know if I was ever cool. Lol😀

Well, that's the way I see it.

Much Respect

Blue

Edited by blue

Interesting comments, each to their own i guess, but especially with bass i feel that its best played with others as opposed to on your own, that's why gigs is the apex for me. I think its been answered that uploading youtube videos etc is becoming increasingly popular

Ps i like the stones :D

Hi Blue
only because you said this..
"This thread is not posted to initiate a
" troll fest" just an exchange of opinion and thought."

ok
The real answer ? for our future ( i think)

The whole problem with the question lies in ourselfs in the thought that we are just bass players.
we are not,
we are a musicians,
the answer to it is simply ... dont see yourself as a bass player.
brach out, you know music, take it a step further.
try other things, we spend so much time trying to be the best bass player,
and i know you guys as i do spend so much time trying to get to that.
divide it.
i have always said to the people i have taught, " learn to write songs no matter how basic you think it is,
just get it down as soon as and move on"
For the most, Pub gigging is ok for a bit of a buz and some cash toward your beer fund, but as you get older that will wear off and you will be left with a question " what was it all for" and as you get into your 50s and 60s you will say to your self " all that knowledge i wish i had used it for other things as well" and at that exact moment ..... you will realise in the 20 or 30 or so years of gigging you hove NO [b][u]product[/u][/b] to tout for when you are older... it could be said apart from the great times of course and the people who have enjoyed your playing,,,, what a wast of a life time of knowledge, cus no one will ever hear it when you are gone, done, thanks for the beer. ......
[b][u]Product[/u][/b] is your key to the future, with out it, we as bass players are just bass players with out a future.
at least have a go, you might thank me one day ! ! !
sorry if this offends anyone, its not ment too, but more a way too inspire us bass players to push ourselfs in other areas, the future... maybe

Edited by funkgod

What will take the place of us gigging is other, younger bands gigging, playing music that we don't like and wearing trousers that irritate us. It's one of the miracles of human civilisation that even though you would think that there were only limited variations possible in trouser design, each subsequent generation nevertheless invents a type of trouser that the previous generation finds irritating.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1453979811' post='2964829'] Jamaican music is a very important part of 1960s UK youth culture and it is seen by many as in total opposition to rock. Skinhead versus hippy.
[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Bjl2x1ZMw

[quote name='funkgod' timestamp='1454378363' post='2969213']
...The whole problem with the question lies in ourselfs in the thought that we are just bass players.
we are not,
we are a musicians,...
[/quote]

Very poignant but I wonder if that actually applies to all of us? Perhaps some of us have learned to play classic rock covers in the pub and nothing more, and this is all we want.

Clearly there are loads of very talented people who play covers at the weekend, but these people have other ways to express their musical creativity too, and these are the "musicians" IMO

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1454364111' post='2969090']Regarding The Stones,most people who don't like them usually have little knowledge of their catalog and base their dislike on "Satisfaction". Which is usually the only Stones song they have ever listened to. [/quote]

You're making quite a broad assumption about why someone wouldn't like The Stones. I've heard more of their tunes than Satisfaction and I've never understood their appeal either. I like Under My Thumb and that's about it.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1454364111' post='2969090']Question, do English people have any appreciation for any of your legendary bands that in terms of pop music put England on the map?[/quote]

Of course. Just not that interested in white blues bands. Cream were interesting though.

[quote name='JoeEvans' timestamp='1454398390' post='2969250']
What will take the place of us gigging is other, younger bands gigging, playing music that we don't like and wearing trousers that irritate us. It's one of the miracles of human civilisation that even though you would think that there were only limited variations possible in trouser design, each subsequent generation nevertheless invents a type of trouser that the previous generation finds irritating.
[/quote]

Intergenerational trouser discrepancies are definitely a thing. Even wearing bootcuts when playing for an audience of skinny jeaned undergrads has gotten me some funny looks...

Regarding The Stones,most people who don't like them usually have little knowledge of their catalog and base their dislike on "Satisfaction". Which is usually the only Stones song they have ever listened to.
[/quote]

You definitely need to improve your sampling techniques.

And they don't understand that The Stones, probably the most successful rock and roll band on the planet is about a lot more than songs and music.
[/quote]

Yes, songs and music, and there's the money too, and accepting a knighthood even though you're a rebellious Rolling Stone ...

[/quote]

We were so lucky actually to get on the pop map, we didn't exist until Feb 7th 1964.

Gracie Fields, George Formby, Vera Lynn, Lonnie Donegan, The Shadows, Billy Fury, Billy Cotton, the Morton Fraser Harmonica Gang etc. ... what a waste.