Why become a member? ×

What Will Take The Place Of Gigging?

blue

I have been involved in many of the threads about gigging. Based on the comments and responses;

1. Many bass players don't gig.
2. Gigging is not as popular as it once was.
3. Many feel it's not worth it.
4. Good gigging opportunities are drying up, especially in the UK.
5. Playing bass has become a solo at home hobby for many.
6. Bass players are no longer will to put in the effort to gig.

So what's the future guys, should we all just stay home and noodle?

This thread is not posted to initiate a
" troll fest" just an exchange of opinion and thought.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1453852399' post='2963556']
What Will Take The Place Of Gigging?...
[/quote]

This ...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/275930-january-composition-challenge-get-writing/"]Monthly Basschat Composition Challenge ...[/url]

([url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/277622-january-composition-challenge-voting/"]This month's voting is here ...[/url])

Guest Jecklin

I play my own original music and through 2015 was playing pretty much every month.

There will be less gigs in 2016, but they will be bigger affairs or locations outside of London.

My music works best live so I will always perform it, however where and what the gig is is dictated purely by points 3 and 4 in Blue's original post.

If it was easier for me to get around Europe with all my equipment I'd probably not bother playing in the UK as often.

Edited by Jecklin

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1453853031' post='2963561']
If there were no opportunities to gig I'd sell up. However, although things ain't what they (never?) were, I don't think 'end of gigging' is with us just yet.
[/quote]

Agreed, but I sense over all the enthusiasm for gigging musicians once had is also down.

Blue

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1453853764' post='2963568']
You also missed out the "have a wide range of interests because life's too short to spend it entirely on playing bass".

It's a big wide world out there.
[/quote]

And I've been around it several times and lived and worked in 4 countries on 2 continents.

As for bass playing. . . the gig is the buzz and the bass is the tool that enables it.

Every day playing a musical instrument is a day that should be savoured.

When I'm gigging at a club and see the utter disinterest in live rock music from the under 30 crowd,I wonder where the gigging drive is for all the bass players under 30.

For my generation, we wanted to gig as much as possible. We didn't care if we had to play standing in an inch of piss,at the time it was still considered a cool scene.

Is there a viaible cool scene any more anywhere?

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1453853564' post='2963565']
You missed out the "Get involved in musical projects that don't involve gigging" option.
[/quote]

What projects Rhysp? If there is no stage or audience, I would have zero interest.

A good option for some all the same.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1453853743' post='2963567']
If I had to stop gigging I'd probably stop playing bass and buy a piano and play that at home.[/quote]

If I had to stop gigging, my only option would be drugs. I would be so depressed.

Blue

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1453853764' post='2963568']
You also missed out the "have a wide range of interests because life's too short to spend it entirely on playing bass".

It's a big wide world out there.[/quote]

Not for some of us 4 Sting. Rock & Roll ,playing bass and gigging is it for me.I have zero interest in anything else.

I've always been this way.

Blue

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1453854056' post='2963569']

This ...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/275930-january-composition-challenge-get-writing/"]Monthly Basschat Composition Challenge ...[/url]

([url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/277622-january-composition-challenge-voting/"]This month's voting is here ...[/url])[/quote]

Great option for some, so it's a good suggestion. Wouldn't be for me, I don't compose.

Blue

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1453854230' post='2963572']
I am lucky enough to have many other interests. Bass playing is enjoyable. Gigging can be enjoyable and learning new things about music via bass is enjoyable but they aren't essential to me.
[/quote]

You broached an interesting side of this with the term essential.

For me and the guys I grew up with gigging was essential. I get the feeling it's not for the new generations of musicians.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1453856134' post='2963592']
If I had to stop gigging, my only option would be drugs. I would be so depressed...
[/quote]

I'm not sure that you're 'into' wisdom; it may be too early yet, but could I respectfully suggest that, sooner or later, and certainly sooner than you'd like, gigging, and even playing the bass at all, will no longer be an option. The old 'Hope I die before I get old' and 'Pegging out on stage' are all well and good, but it very, very rarely works out that way. There is still time to seriously sit yourself down, maybe with folks close to you, and work out an 'exit strategy', to be called upon in due course. Other interests..? If there are none, see if any could be envisaged. Finances..? Work out any impact and see how to adjust. Keeping as fit and active as the years permit..? How about looking into fitness clubs or the like. Write up your memoires and get 'em published ("Life in Blue and other stories"..? No..? Think up your own...).
Retirement comes to us all, and is, for many, a shock to the system. The best time to get accustomed is beforehand, while there is still time. Too sombre..? Not to be thought about..? Maybe. Not yet. Not quite, but soon. You won't be doing what you're doing in 30 years time.
Just sayin'; respect.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1453855206' post='2963581']
This could be retitled 'what new income streams are there for professional musicians'?
Its not just bass players who are affected. Grass roots venues are closing in the UK at an unprecedented rate, what's the situation in the US Blue?
[/quote]

Good point it's probably the same in the States. However we probably have a lot more venues and will take longer for them to close.

Blue

Guest Jecklin

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1453855742' post='2963585']
When I'm gigging at a club and see the utter disinterest in live rock music from the under 30 crowd,I wonder where the gigging drive is for all the bass players under 30.

For my generation, we wanted to gig as much as possible. We didn't care if we had to play standing in an inch of piss,at the time it was still considered a cool scene.

[/quote]

I know things are different in the states, but my reaction would be the same if I walked into a pub and saw a band playing covers of music I wasn't remotely interested in.

I would pay them no attention at all I'm afraid and would probably move on to an establishment with no music or playing music I did care for.

Rock is just one of many genres of music.

The drive to gig for those I know (admittedly all playing original music, none playing rock per se) is to connect with their audience.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1453857073' post='2963597']

I'm not sure that you're 'into' wisdom; it may be too early yet, but could I respectfully suggest that, sooner or later, and certainly sooner than you'd like, gigging, and even playing the bass at all, will no longer be an option. The old 'Hope I die before I get old' and 'Pegging out on stage' are all well and good, but it very, very rarely works out that way. There is still time to seriously sit yourself down, maybe with folks close to you, and work out an 'exit strategy', to be called upon in due course. Other interests..? If there are none, see if any could be envisaged. Finances..? Work out any impact and see how to adjust. Keeping as fit and active as the years permit..? How about looking into fitness clubs or the like. Write up your memoires and get 'em published ("Life in Blue and other stories"..? No..? Think up your own...).
Retirement comes to us all, and is, for many, a shock to the system. The best time to get accustomed is beforehand, while there is still time. Too sombre..? Not to be thought about..? Maybe. Not yet. Not quite, but soon. You won't be doing what you're doing in 30 years time.
Just sayin'; respect.
[/quote]

Well, I belong to and go to a fitness club almost daily. But I consider it a part of gigging or preparation for gigging.

Blue

[quote name='Jecklin' timestamp='1453857177' post='2963599']

I know things are different in the states, but my reaction would be the same if I walked into a pub and saw a band playing covers of music I wasn't remotely interested in.

I would pay them no attention at all I'm afraid and would probably move on to an establishment with no music or playing music I did care for.

Rock is just one of many genres of music.

The drive to gig for those I know (admittedly all playing original music, none playing rock per se) is to connect with their audience.
[/quote]

I guess I get that.

I'm pretty much the same about most originals bands. If I walked into a club and heard uninteresting original music, I'm afraid I would also move on.

Blue

I'm likely to be gigging a lot more this year than ever before... purely from taking a step sideways from one genre to another. Though I think there will likely always be work for high-end wedding, function and event bands... which are generally covers bands of course. Been there and done that.

I don't think it's just a problem with bands, I think it's across all the arts... people of a certain age don't think a performance is 'real' or valid unless it has been photographed, videoed, tagged, tweeted, disseminated and uploaded to YouTube to see if it's really 'popular'. Which is a great shame as this means no-one lives in the present any more. I meet people who insist on showing me their holiday pics and I wonder what the hell did they do apart from taking lots of holiday pics..?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1453859827' post='2963603']
I'm likely to be gigging a lot more this year than ever before... purely from taking a step sideways from one genre to another. Though I think there will likely always be work for high-end wedding, function and event bands... which are generally covers bands of course. Been there and done that.

I don't think it's just a problem with bands, I think it's across all the arts... people of a certain age don't think a performance is 'real' or valid unless it has been photographed, videoed, tagged, tweeted, disseminated and uploaded to YouTube to see if it's really 'popular'. Which is a great shame as this means no-one lives in the present any more. I meet people who insist on showing me their holiday pics and I wonder what the hell did they do apart from taking lots of holiday pics..?
[/quote]

I know, everything is digital, everything is streaming. Is there anything real around here anymore?

Blue