Why become a member? ×

New fender elite series jazz and p bass ?

afterimage

I see nothing wrong with this, these basses look great. The price is correct for the current state of things. I bought a new Deluxe Jazz in 2012 after testing some USA standard jazzes and a couple of vintage ones too. I also sold a Sadowsky which I wasn't happy with tone-wise and I replaced it with the Fender Deluxe, and that bass has been going strong since that time, it's had 1 setup, the graphite rods hold everything together nicely, it just sounds like a solid Fender Jazz, the passive tone is 100% fine, and the mid boost in active mode makes a big difference to me. So in terms of finding a great bass and not wasting any more money since that time, it was fully worth spending a bit extra. And that was with the N3 pickups, I'm sure these new ones are even better.

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1454363965' post='2969086']
Yeah - and sadly not being nearly as innovative as the original elites.
Now a reissue of the 80's P elite . . . that I could be tempted by. Here's an original for context:

[/quote]

Jesus, that will be a pingy d and g on that bridge pickup.

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1454409679' post='2969381']
I currently have around 16 Fenders and I love their playability and simplicity, tbh having a preamp just makes things complicated for me and a jazz or P bass does everything I need.
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more.

And got a gallery with your 16 Fenders? I'd love to see them!

Edited by thebassist

[quote name='such' timestamp='1454438367' post='2969774']
wow, that "walnut" version with ebony board and gold hardware is my dream. Still, I wish the pickups were reversed. I have this crazy idea of having a Maruszczyk made in this style.
[/quote]

Crazy? Nah - inspired. With some custom electronics or something from the John East line. . . dream territory!
Might I suggest an ebony substitute like ebonol or Rocklite®
Found the latter here: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X01A36j7Ib4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X01A36j7Ib4[/url]

• 2 months later...

I played one of the new American Elite 4 string Jazz basses for about 20 minutes or so.

One of the best Fenders I have ever played in terms of fit and finish and neck profile. It felt like a really classy instrument (which it bloody well should be for the price).

The pre-amp was good, certainly an improvement on the previous Deluxe models I have tried previously but I still felt that overall the pre-amp didn't live up to the quality of the rest of the instrument. Personally I think that the pre-amp and pickups are not as nice as you will get on the Sandberg or Sadowsky Metro line (I'm biased, I bought a Metro 6 years ago and love it). Fit an Aguilar/Delano/Nordstrand pick up and pre-amp though and I think that the Fender would be as good any Jazz bass on the market.

I own one, an ash bodied natural and maple neck 5 string. The B string is as good as I've heard on any bass, it's punchy, tight, and sustains brilliantly well! The neck feels so good, a nice modern C shape up in the lower register that changes to the Fender 'D' shape, the compound radius makes moving up and down the neck easy as can be!

The N4 pickups are good, still not quite my absolute perfect taste, but MUCH smoother and nicer than the N3's to my ears, and the pre-amp is a bit smoother over the Deluxe one as well. Again it's not perfect, but it's certainly usable, I'm considering changing it out eventually but for now I'm happy with the stock pre and pick ups. The heel wheel truss rod adjuster is brilliant and well overdue on Fender's this should be made standard across the range for me!

I know people aren't the biggest fans of Fender's but they've really got these basses right, everything is good, there are no issue I can find, the pre and the pickups are the weakest points but still very good and usable!

• 7 months later...

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1462395321' post='3042778']
I own one, an ash bodied natural and maple neck 5 string. The B string is as good as I've heard on any bass, it's punchy, tight, and sustains brilliantly well! The neck feels so good, a nice modern C shape up in the lower register that changes to the Fender 'D' shape, the compound radius makes moving up and down the neck easy as can be!
[/quote]

i can confirm this is true! lovely fat and tight B. I tried on in a store last night and ill be ordering one later this week in tobacco sunburst :) best fender i ever played without a doubt.

I hope mine is as nice a player as the one in the store.

• 1 month later...

I've got the 4 string Jazz American Elite. A lovely bass - a real joy to play, with a beautiful playable neck. Mine's a very funky looking black body and black pick guard, with maple neck. I often use it in passive mode, when it sounds to me pretty much identical to a US Fender Jazz. For me the preamp and pickups are great, and there is plenty of tonal variation available without touching amp EQ. I've just fitted it with flats, and am in bass nirvana.

I love it and enjoy playing it so much that I've just sold my Wal, which I know would no longer get a look in - partly because the Fender is so light and agile in comparison.

• 1 month later...

How much do these differ in feel and playability from the outgoing Deluxe models?

I played an Elite Series Jazz on Saturday and was blown away - it just played so effortlessly. Granted, my experience of high-end basses is somewhat limited, but it smoked my Am Standard Jazz, and creamed the Spector Euro I tried before it. Pricey? Yeah. Worth it? Maybe, actually. The reason I ask if there's a big difference between Elite and Deluxe is - Deluxes are still kicking around, and can be had for a bargain price. If they're close to the Elites at all, I can already hear my bank manager's distant sobs.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1487584045' post='3240837']
How much do these differ in feel and playability from the outgoing Deluxe models?

I played an Elite Series Jazz on Saturday and was blown away - it just played so effortlessly. Granted, my experience of high-end basses is somewhat limited, but it smoked my Am Standard Jazz, and creamed the Spector Euro I tried before it. Pricey? Yeah. Worth it? Maybe, actually. The reason I ask if there's a big difference between Elite and Deluxe is - Deluxes are still kicking around, and can be had for a bargain price. If they're close to the Elites at all, I can already hear my bank manager's distant sobs.
[/quote]

i was in exactly the same position. I had saved up for a USA jazz deluxe and went to a few shops to try and find one that spoke to me.... Then i ran into the elite. IMHO it blew all the deluxes id tried out the water. The first thing you notice is the neck. its hands down the most comfortable to play i have ever tried. i think thats down to he compound radius fingerboard and the matt finish on the neck.

i had the opportunity to A-B the two guitars sonically aswell, and the tone was similar as you would expect in passive mode, but when in active, the elite has so much more growl. IMO there is no contest. except for price.

i have not yet been able to compare the elite to the new professional series.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1487584045' post='3240837']

[/quote]
If you can afford the Elite, then get the Elite. Like Gisser I tried both Deluxe and Elite side by side. The neck on the Elite blew the Deluxe out the water. Tonally they are similar in passive, but in active the Elite is better than the Deluxe.

But you should play both, side by side if you can.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1454259242' post='2967932']
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_am_elite_preci_bass_ash_mn_tbs.htm"]http://www.thomann.d..._ash_mn_tbs.htm[/url]
Pricey
[/quote]
I played one of these at the weekend. I have to say that I thought it was great. I spent quite a long time trying to find faults and came to the conclusion that I couldn't. A great sounding bass b9oth passive and active. I was impressed