Why become a member? ×

Iron Ether Subterranea Troubleshooting

olliedf89

Hi all.
So I recently purchased, via here, an Iron Ether Subterranea. When I got it home, I plugged it in, had a quick play, no problems, all happy. The tracking may have been a bit more wobbly than I was lead to believe in some videos, but I assumed that was my problem (high output bass or something).

I plugged it in a little while later to have a proper muck about and zilch! The light comes on, but no-one is home. It is making noise, but only when there is a VERY high input level, but it still doesn't work properly. A bit crackly. More crackly than it should be anyway.

When I take the cable out of the bass and touch the very tip, it seems to respond like it should do, as far as I can tell anyway. When I do that AND touch the top two toggles or the actual footswitch or the backplate, the noise cuts out.

Plug it into a bass or another pedal and the pedal cuts out. Almost like when you get interference from a high gain pedal but it goes away when you touch the strings on your bass.

I've tried every combination of pedals, cables, basses and power supplies (including my Voodoo Labs PP2+) I can find and nothing has made a difference. I've opened up the back and had a look inside, but it's spotless, very compact, and I can't see any obvious faults at all.

I am guessing it's some form of grounding issue but I have no idea what to do. It's so clean and tidy inside that I can't actually find anything to go wrong.

Any ideas?
Might be able to post up a video of what I mean if that helps.
PS The chap I bought it off is a perfect gentleman and assures me it was in working order before sending it. I have emailed Iron Ether to see what they say, but figured I'd try here anyway as you lot are usually spot on!

I think in the first instance, I would send this back to the seller. If the problem was present the 2nd time you used it it certainly implies the fault was likely pre-existing, be it intermittent or otherwise. I would comment that I found the tracking on the unit to be excellent, so the wobbly comment is interesting and could potentially be linked.

If you insist on taking the burden on yourself, a video would be a good idea to try and see what you are saying, as the situation sounds familiar.