Why become a member? ×

Best looper?

visog

Bass-chatterers,

Could I get some recommendations for a good looper? I know these things are very subjective but a few suggestions would be a start.

I'd like to be able to add and delete voices on the fly and also get some ambient long sustain sounds happening ah la Frippertronics if possible.

Suggestions welcome...

visog

I had the ditto looper for a while but I had two units break on me... I have the boss RC1 now, and I must say I prefer it as it runs on batteries :)

Depends if you want built in effects etc, if you just want a simple looper then the boss and the ditto are identical in operation.

Edited by CamdenRob

If you want to do fripertronics the best one for that is the Boomerang III. Trouble is you need a bank loan to buy it. If you want long sustained notes it allows you to do that with no audible join. On other loopers you can record a blank track and then record your audio over the blank. That's a real faff though. I use the Boss RC-50 too. I have a Ditto x2 at the front of my board which allows me to put a loop through the effects at the end of a piece. Good for quick sketches as well. I'm sure you will have seen the Pigtronix and EHX loopers too but I Have no experience with them. The Boss RC-300 looks quite interesting but I'm not sure how it would cope with long sustained notes without any audible join.

[url="http://www.andertons.co.uk/compact-pedals/pid42867/cid692/electro-harmonix-720-stereo-looper-pedal.asp?LGWCODE=42867;56375;6335&gclid=CK6IoPGVzMoCFQYTwwoduBcKCQ"]http://www.andertons.co.uk/compact-pedals/pid42867/cid692/electro-harmonix-720-stereo-looper-pedal.asp?LGWCODE=42867;56375;6335&gclid=CK6IoPGVzMoCFQYTwwoduBcKCQ[/url]

I posted a thread a while back and found this is indeed a bit of a niche request but took the plunge on a Boomerang III and for me it's probably the best on the market.

Intuitive controls, the switches are great (the flat format works really well compared to standard switches) and brilliant sound quality.

It doesn't store loops, it's expensive and there is a bit of a learning curve but as a live looping pedal it is without compare. IMO, YMMV and all that.

Bassbus, you expressed an interest in my earlier thread and I would wholeheartedly recommend the 'Rang.

I've got a Ditto looper, and it's perfect for me. Small, simple and a long loop time with unlimited overdubs- but it doesn't sound like that's what your after.

Bit of a left-field suggestion, I know, but the Line 6 DL4 is a classic delay, but also has a loop function. Might be another option?

This [url="http://looperpedalreviews.com/"]site[/url] might be worth a look.

I use a ditto just now but the best one I've had experience with is the Digitech jamman stereo looper. I've used the Line 6 DL4 as well but thought the playback quality was really poor. I was probably just doing something wrong with it though because a lot of decent bands swear by them.

[quote name='Dapper Bandit' timestamp='1453977679' post='2964790']

Bassbus, you expressed an interest in my earlier thread and I would wholeheartedly recommend the 'Rang.
[/quote]

Where did you buy the Boomerang?

There's also the new Ditto X4 from TC. Has midi as well.

http://youtu.be/U0xfEp4UpDE

Edited by BassBus

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1453981040' post='2964856']

Where did you buy the Boomerang?

There's also the new Ditto X4 from TC. Has midi as well.

[/quote]

I got it from Prymaxe in the US as they were running a 21% discount at the time. They generally will have at least 15% coupons active at any given time so they would be the people to go to. Shipping is fairly cheap as well.

Ditto X4 looks cool but seems to lack several of the features that I'm really enjoying on the boomerang.

Thanks for the advice all... went for a Ditto X2 in the end. (I realise for the Frippertronics/ambient I'll have to add a couple of delays later: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwyiN3wF2_Q) but for the time being, I'm trying to learn the knack of starting and stopping on time! Not as easy as these YouTubers make out but fun trying...