Why become a member? ×

Amps that can go to 2 ohm

mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1453992004' post='2965084']

ha ha :) yes... portable is the name of the game... the recent game of musical chairs has only come about by a need to reduce bulk further... I used to have lots of storage space, then I had lots more... and now I have very little, and the situation is unlikely to change until much later in the year, so I am taking the opportunity to find ways to reduce bulk in general.
So far so good, it led me to discover the TKS S112 cabs and I love them. They don't have a huge sound or anything but... there's just something about them that I really really like.
I have to ask Tommy what speakers he puts in those.
[/quote]

If you get curious enough you could always pop off the connector plate at the back and stick your phone camera in the hole (with the flash turned on) ;). I think it's likely to be the Eminence Beta 12, as TKS have said they use Eminence and it's a 250 watt rated ceramic driver, with specs that very closely resemble TKS's published specs when you model it in that size box. But I may be off the mark with that one!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1453992004' post='2965084']
How are yours coming along? :)
[/quote]

A bit slower than I anticipated at first, the boxes are assembled but I still need to do the baffles, round off the corners and paint them. I'll probably get a bit of a move on next week, as I'd like to use them for a gig in a fortnight. There's a thread in the Build Diaries section. If they do turn out to perform similarly to the S112s, you're welcome to try them stacked up with yours with the series/parallel cable.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1453991520' post='2965069']
It doesn't need to be cheap. ;)

But I can't find any info about the Eich 1000, regarding price... I imagine it'll be similar to the Puma 1000?
[/quote]

1299 EU. See [url="https://www.facebook.com/Eich-Amplification-185018971836714/"]https://www.facebook.com/Eich-Amplification-185018971836714/[/url]

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1454006822' post='2965380']
1299 EU. See [url="https://www.facebook.com/Eich-Amplification-185018971836714/"]https://www.facebook...85018971836714/[/url]
[/quote]

thank you!

a bit more than the Puma 1000, but not far off.

Looks pretty cool too!

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1453994789' post='2965135']
If you get curious enough you could always pop off the connector plate at the back and stick your phone camera in the hole (with the flash turned on) ;). I think it's likely to be the Eminence Beta 12, as TKS have said they use Eminence and it's a 250 watt rated ceramic driver, with specs that very closely resemble TKS's published specs when you model it in that size box. But I may be off the mark with that one!

A bit slower than I anticipated at first, the boxes are assembled but I still need to do the baffles, round off the corners and paint them. I'll probably get a bit of a move on next week, as I'd like to use them for a gig in a fortnight. There's a thread in the Build Diaries section. If they do turn out to perform similarly to the S112s, you're welcome to try them stacked up with yours with the series/parallel cable.
[/quote]

Thank you ;), I'll ask Tommy first, but yeah, I might try that if he doesn't answer (I doubt it!).

ooh, I'll look for that thread. The gig... is it in Edinburgh?

I'm getting a second pair of S112s on Sunday! :lol: Yes, I know... crazy. I'm driving to Carlisle to meet Karlfer and he'll take my 1126s in exchange for his two S112s and some cash. Then I'll spend the rest of the day doing a little tourism around Hexham... and on Monday I'll use all 4 S112s at rehearsal with the RATM band.

[quote name='deksawyer' timestamp='1454028658' post='2965698']
Jose, bassgear have a used Tecamp Puma 1000 - this might suit you, and you could even add another 4 S112's in the future!! :D

D.
[/quote]

Come on, that would be crazy...

(I like it! :lol:)

• 2 weeks later...

I had a good try yesterday during rehearsal with a D800 (thanks, Deek! :)) and I have to say that is a pretty cool amp.

I compared the MarkBass LM3 into 4x TKS S112 (8ohm load, 300W max) against the Mesa D800 with the same 4x S112, connected differently to take advantage of the 2ohm option, 800W max.

Both were loud, that's for sure. I was in a large rehearsal room and we played louder than usual just to humour me for a bit... our drummer hits hard, and he tried his worse, but either combination would be way too loud for an unamplified drummer so I am not going into what sounds loudest. I suspect the Mesa will... but volume-wise with 4x speakers, amp power is not a big issue.

Now, I did try them into 2 speakers only... The LM3 gets the full 500W (4ohm load) and the Mesa, with the switch at 4/8 will produce 800W into the 4 ohm load. This combination is plenty loud with the LM3 and will be what I use the most: it'll easily match the drummer levels and sounds good, it just won't have the 'girth' I get with 4 speakers. I didn't spend a lot of time with this combination, just enough to play a bit and match settings etc.

So, with the 4 speakers... Last week I tried the Streamliner 900 and the LM3. I liked both. Both were loud enough, and I could not feel the Streamliner was significantly louder within the confines of a rehearsal room.. large for a rehearsal room, but still nothing like the kind of venue I'd use all 4 speakers in, so this impression might change in 'real life'. Tonality is a matter of personal preference... I did prefer the Streamliner marginally, but the LM3 sounded 'punchier' and bigger somehow. Hard to describe.

Then yesterday, I thought I'd take the LM3 to compare against the D800, as I wasn't so much interested in sheer volume as in the actual sound.
I found that the tone controls are very well designed for my taste. Better than the LM3, where I find the low mid control is a bit too 'unrefined', although I felt the low control was nicer on the LM3. I could get a nicer control over the top end with the Mesa. The deep switch felt too much for me, I don't think I'd ever use it... blah blah... I won't go into versatility etc... suffice to say you can get a wide range of sounds, it's definitely not a one trick pony. The contour knob adds to the versatility.. I personally did not like it. But I never like contour controls.
So, alright, so far so good... it's a very nice amp, but I don't feel I'm missing much from using either the LM3 or the Streamliner... *except* one thing. There is one thing about the D800 that set it apart: it sounds BIG.

I do not know what it is, and I cannot even describe it... it just sounds like it's got 'body'... bigger than the LM3/Streamliner. I played the LM3 alone, and I was happy with it... then I switch to the D800 and I was happy with it... then back to the LM3... and it felt a bit 'meh', like something had been removed from its sound. It's that kind of non-obvious at first listen difference, but once you notice it you cannot not hear it.

I can see a D800 in my future, just not sure which of the LM3 or Streamliner it would replace as I like different things in both. Perhaps the LM3, as it lacks a mute button and that really annoys me :lol:

There's one thing that worries me a bit on the D800: the impedance switch. It's at the back, but very easy to flick. I'd be worried when using a 2ohm or 2.7ohm load (4 or 3 8ohm cabs respectively) that I might inadvertently flick the switch to the wrong position, or that someone needed to adjust something behind the backline, maybe reconnect a DI or something, and flick that... I've seen weirder things happen! I suspect the amp might switch itself off before damage occurs, as is the case with many modern light amp designs, but I'd be nervous anyway. Personally, I'd prefer that switch on the front, big, and under a idle-finger-proof transparent plastic cover... but that's just me.

Very nice amp. It also feels reassuringly 'solid' and well made, which is nice, and to the point... without interesting colour patterns or flashy logo illumination ;)

So that's the 2ohm search for me, I think.
If I get such an amp... it's probably going to be the D800. And even if I don't need the 2 ohm option... I might still get one anyway. It's just a very nice sounding amp.