Why become a member? ×

Amps that can go to 2 ohm

mcnach

I like the Markbass LM3 and the GB Streamliner 900, for different reasons as they are pretty different.

It would be great if they could cope with 2 ohm loads.

There aren't that many amps out there that do... do you know which ones do? Especially if you think they are in some way similar to either those two? But ok if they're different ;)

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1453985858' post='2964926']
Small and Light - Mesa D800
[/quote]

wait! I missed this... the Subway D800 does 2ohm??

I heard one in action yesterday and you know what? It wasn't half bad ;) I didn't realise it did 2ohm... hmmm. Interesting. I'm not sure I *need* (or want) to change amps just yet but the D800 is now firmly in my radar, thank you!

and thanks for all the other suggestions too! Lots to look at ;)

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1453986645' post='2964944']
Splitter cable from OBBM.
[/quote]

Too late... I have ordered that already ;)

It's my first test, see how my existing amps deal with the four cabs at 8ohm (two pairs of 8 ohm in parallel = two sets of 4ohm.. then those in series = 8ohm)

But because I'm not 100% sure the Streamliner 900 is for me, this situation is opening the possibility of my changing amps to something I like a bit better and get the 2ohm option since I'm at it... we'll see.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1453987515' post='2964967']
The new Eich 1000 - 2x500W at 2 ohms or bridged, 1x1000W at 4 ohms. Not a cheap option though.
[/quote]

It doesn't need to be cheap. ;)

But I can't find any info about the Eich 1000, regarding price... I imagine it'll be similar to the Puma 1000?

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1453989951' post='2965037']
Various TC amps are either 2ohm or 2.6ohm, my Thunderfunk TFB750-A and the Mesa D800 goes to 2ohm.

You can also run 2 4ohm amps into 2 4ohm cabs by daisy chaining the amps.
[/quote]

Yup, another option was using two amps indeed. I like that redundancy as an 'insurance' of sorts... what are the chances that an amp will fail? well, what are the chances that BOTH will fail?
In fact I might test that with the LM3, as I have an LM3 and a CMD121P combo (an LM3 head in combo form), as I really like the Markbass... and getting a second LM3 would be a lot cheaper than a Mesa D800 or something like that...

So many amps, so little time! :lol:

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1453990992' post='2965050']
I was going to say Ampeg SVT (or the cheeky Bugera clone) but I guess you want something a bit more portable!
[/quote]

ha ha :) yes... portable is the name of the game... the recent game of musical chairs has only come about by a need to reduce bulk further... I used to have lots of storage space, then I had lots more... and now I have very little, and the situation is unlikely to change until much later in the year, so I am taking the opportunity to find ways to reduce bulk in general.
So far so good, it led me to discover the TKS S112 cabs and I love them. They don't have a huge sound or anything but... there's just something about them that I really really like.
I have to ask Tommy what speakers he puts in those.

How are yours coming along? :)