Why become a member? ×

Bridge fitting - finger board curve or radius

Wonky2

Guy, hoping for some quick advice if possible.....

Ive spent a considerable amount of time shaping the feet for my new bridge, now im almost happy with the fit ive turned my attention to bridge hight and curve......

The bridge (adjustable) came with some brief fitting guidance, amongst which was a "jazz" and a "classical" template for radius.
I would guess the jazz template more suitable to my requirments.....

Heres what jve done so far...
Ive fitted p/ shaped the feet to a very close match, just super fine finish to do... Ive then positioned the bridge to centre line of f hole notches and equidistant from left to right, ie, centralised. Adjusters wound fully down.
Next ive used my steel meter rule sat flush on the finger board and allowed it to project onwards casting its angle onto the bridge front face. Ive marked the curviture of the finger board clearly.
I then remived the adjustable feet and offered up the pencil lined curve to the finger board end to check the curviture was correct, it was spot on.
Next i have added 10mm to that line with the intention of having a 10 mm string hight.
I then offered up the jazz template to this +10mm line and marked out the jazz radius, the cnetre being at 10mm, the outer edges dipping slighlty lower.
Im happy with that, thinking that this will, after string notching, give me and lowest possible string hight of approx G to E- 5,6,7,8 mm (low) but i should be able to raise this considerably with the bridge hight adjusters to well over 10,11,12,13 or maybe more......

The thing is..... Should i just be blindly using this "jazz" template, or is simply mirroring the radius of the finger board an option?

After ive cut it down in hight, i intend to get it on the bench and try to thin it down too as it seems quite thick.

Finally, the back edge is at 90 degrees , should i keep the 90 degree edge where the strungs meet the bridge top on this back edge or should i round it off where the strings meet.

Same question for front face of bridge , rounded off or square finish ?

So close to actually playing this bass now :)

Thanks
Guys

Wonky