Why become a member? ×

I want a new envelope filter

IBWT

I'm on the market for a new envelope filter, not that I needed of course, it's just for fun.

Right now I have a 3Leaf Proton which has me very satisfied, but I found three main issues on it:[list]
[*]The gain/threshold is quite high. I tend to play a bit on the softer side with passive basses so I have to set the knob at about 5 o'clock to get a good response. I don't like having so little headroom in my pedals.
[*]The overall sound is a bit dark. Again, the peak knob is at about 5 and the treble roll off is very noticeable. It's not really a bad thing, just the sound of it. With the sweep switch on the other position is the opposite: lows tend do disappear.
[*]This last one I'm not really sure because I don't know that much about envelope filters but I think the attack might be a bit slow. It takes too long for the filter to reach the peak.
[/list]
I'd like to complement my Proton with another pedal that has lower threshold, more resonant/higher peak and faster attack, but using the less possible knobs (no Wonderlove I guess, also too expensive). So far I think I like the EBS Bass IQ, I really dig the down position and the attack knob; I've also had a BassBalls and though I liked its sharp attack and high peak it gets a bit tiring too soon.

Any suggestions, opinions, experiences, please?

I've tried a ton of filters:

3Leaf Proton, Groove Regulator, GR2, Wonderlove
EHX Bassballs, Enigma Q-Balls, Mini Q-Tron (not the newer Micro), original Q-Tron
Keeley Neutrino
Beigel Tru-Tron 3X
WMD Fatman
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
Boss FT-2
Tonefactor 442
Zoom Multi-FX (B1Xon, B3)

My favourites are the two old Q-Trons. The original sounds best with playing low down and is more versatile, but the Mini has a certain something that makes it extra funky even though it doesn't sweep as low. These can be picked up used very cheaply, only downside is their size (the Mini is not very mini!) and power requirements (Mini is 9v but has a funky socket, original is 24v).

2nd fave is the TruTron 3X. Apparently (I've not tried one) it does everything the original Mutron III does plus more (being designed by the same guy, who also incidentally did the original Q-Trons). However since I only play these pedals occasionally for fun and it's a pretty expensive unit, I'm thinking of moving it on.

3rd for me is the GR2 and Groove Regulator (GR2 just edges it). Amazing versatility, great envelope action, very fat sounding but just not as wet sounding as the 'Trons.

4th is the MXR. Not as fat since it's a bandpass mixed with clean, but it is the best filter for slap and can get some very unique sounds.

Of course other people could list the total reverse order to me as everyone has different preferences, filters are a very personal effect and respond uniquely to different playing styles and basses!

The ones I have not tried but really want to are the Chunk Systems 00Funk (hard to come by though) and Source Audio Manta. The Manta has so many filter models built in I'd be amazed if you didn't find one you liked. The Zoom units also do a very nice model of the Q-Tron and a couple of others and are cheap as chips (especially if you buy my used B1xon!).

Only tried a couple but I like and am keeping my Pigtronix Bass Envelope Phaser ... I noticed it adds a very slight boost & added clarity on a subtle setting which works great for some chord picking esp in 'down' setting, I plan to use the 'up' with some dirt for one of our tracks if we ever do it live lol ... but I really like it on cleaner stuff dialed back a bit .. maybe worth a look :)

Edited by sifi2112

I'd you can afford it and don't mind having a massive pedal get the Lovetone Meatball in the classifieds, or go for a clone of it (Robot Factory Meatwad, 3Leaf Groove Regulator).

Regarding the Manta, I've found the envelope follower really difficult to dial in. I mean *really* difficult. Like, I never got it dialed in, ever! Mine's on a shelf in my dining room at the moment.

[quote name='AustinArto' timestamp='1454347848' post='2968840']
I'd you can afford it and don't mind having a massive pedal get the Lovetone Meatball in the classifieds, or go for a clone of it (Robot Factory Meatwad, 3Leaf Groove Regulator).

Regarding the Manta, I've found the envelope follower really difficult to dial in. I mean *really* difficult. Like, I never got it dialed in, ever! Mine's on a shelf in my dining room at the moment.
[/quote]

Funny how different people have different experiences!

I've found the Manta to be by far the easiest filter I've owned to dial in and control.
I've owned a Qtron, QBalls, 3leaf Groove Regulator (probably my 2nd favourite), DOD FX25, MX87 Envelope Filter and finally the Manta.

I own and thoroughly enjoy the 3Leaf Wonderlove, Iron Ether Xerograph Deluxe and Source Audio BEF Pro. If the Manta is anything like the first BEF I would give that the nod simply due to the crazy versatility and relatively low price (seriously, SA offer considerable bang-for-buck). Or maybe have a look, the first generation non-pro version should be out there for very little coin.

[quote name='AustinArto' timestamp='1454347848' post='2968840']

[/quote]

I had a Meatwad at one point and found it almost completely unusable, only slightly more impossible to dial in a decent sound than the Chunk Systems Agent 00Funk! That said I knew precisely eff-all about filters back when I had them and reflectively kick myself in the backside when I remember selling them!

This thread only goes to highlight something I've come to realise myself after trying out quite a few filters over the years (not as many as some here!). Filters are a VERY personal thing, more heavily reliant on the person playing them (and their equipment and setup) than pretty much any other effect. What works best for one person may be a steaming pile of poo for the next person!!!

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1454402465' post='2969288']
This thread only goes to highlight something I've come to realise myself after trying out quite a few filters over the years (not as many as some here!). Filters are a VERY personal thing, more heavily reliant on the person playing them (and their equipment and setup) than pretty much any other effect. What works best for one person may be a steaming pile of poo for the next person!!!
[/quote]

I think you've hit the nail on the head there.

[quote name='IBWT' timestamp='1454060090' post='2965818']
I'm on the market for a new envelope filter, not that I needed of course, it's just for fun.

Right now I have a 3Leaf Proton which has me very satisfied, but I found three main issues on it:[list]
[*]The gain/threshold is quite high. I tend to play a bit on the softer side with passive basses so I have to set the knob at about 5 o'clock to get a good response. I don't like having so little headroom in my pedals.
[*]The overall sound is a bit dark. Again, the peak knob is at about 5 and the treble roll off is very noticeable. It's not really a bad thing, just the sound of it. With the sweep switch on the other position is the opposite: lows tend do disappear.
[*]This last one I'm not really sure because I don't know that much about envelope filters but I think the attack might be a bit slow. It takes too long for the filter to reach the peak.
[/list]
I'd like to complement my Proton with another pedal that has lower threshold, more resonant/higher peak and faster attack, but using the less possible knobs (no Wonderlove I guess, also too expensive). So far I think I like the EBS Bass IQ, I really dig the down position and the attack knob; I've also had a BassBalls and though I liked its sharp attack and high peak it gets a bit tiring too soon.

Any suggestions, opinions, experiences, please?
[/quote]

I would not think of the Bassballs in the same category as the other envelope filters. A modified one (you get control over two parameters with external pots) is a LOT more fun. But even then, it's a particular flavour that is not so versatile.

The BassIQ is one of my favourites. I had a Proton and let it go... it could sound great but it did not work so well for me. Too sensitive to what bass I was playing and pedals before it etc. The BassIQ sounds great and is less wild. The Aguilar Filter Twin is a fantastic pedal too. I still prefer the BassIQ, but they are both different flavours of 'tasty' :lol:

But if size is not an issue... look for a Source Audio BEF (bass envelope filter). Not necessarily the Pro version which is too big, the standard. It's relatively cheap used, and it's nearly impossible to get bad sounds out of it. It has all the right parameters to get the right type of "wah" or "baoh" sound :P, without volume/bass drop or increase... It has a variety of models, and you can spend hours with it... but you'll probably find a couple of models you like and stick with them. Very intuitive and versatile. A little large, but easy to use and sounds great.