Why become a member? ×

Where to buy strings ? Any basschat discount codes ?

Wonky2

With my reoair nearing completion....
Pick up almost chosen/ purchased...

Its time to turn my thought to strings. Ive read alot of reviews etc..... My requirment will be mostly piz. No slap or bow.....
After obviously countless reccomendation for evah pirrazi wiech i will go that way.

What i dont know is should i require low or med tension ? I guess this is a oersonal prefferance thing like gauge..... ?
I want e,a,d,g format....

Plenty of places selling them, but where is best on price ? And does anywhere online offer any bass chat discount ?

Thanks for any advice
Wonky

Might be worth spending a little time with the stock strings (assuming you still have them) - they will give you an idea of the character of the bass itself, and how comfortable you feel with that level of tension/stiffness, and whether there is any issues with the setup that need to be addressed - the couple of stentor 1950s that I've played both had rather a lot of relief in the fingerboard, which made them very hard work with steels, and in such a situation if you can't afford to have the fingerboard planed (or don't want to) then you might want to revise your string choice for something that will be easier to live with.

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1454094837' post='2966462']
Might be worth spending a little time with the stock strings (assuming you still have them) - they will give you an idea of the character of the bass itself, and how comfortable you feel with that level of tension/stiffness, and whether there is any issues with the setup that need to be addressed - the couple of stentor 1950s that I've played both had rather a lot of relief in the fingerboard, which made them very hard work with steels, and in such a situation if you can't afford to have the fingerboard planed (or don't want to) then you might want to revise your string choice for something that will be easier to live with.
[/quote]

The thing is, i bought the bass snapped in two at the neck, it came with no bridge and no strings........
I did manage to get a set of steel flats donated by a very kind bc'er for set up purposes which came off a thomann bass soon after he bought it.....
So , i have no name or clue what the strings are, and no experience of any others.......
I m currently finishing off the bridge fitting so set up of bridge and nut may as well be bespoked to a string i intend to try for use....

So, if you have played a stentor 1950 or two and are a little familiar with the build, what would you suggest...
My evah p choice was based on reveiws of playing ease, tension feel and warm sound........

The OEM steels that are fitted to most of the cheap DBs are pretty similar, so if someone donated you a set then they should be a good fit for the existing slots in the nut. What is going to work for you is going to depend very much on the sound you want to hear, your bass and your physiology - get it up and running with what you have to hand, then make an informed decision once you can play and hear it.

Hey mr bassman :)

Ive just committed earlier todsy and ordered evah pirrazi light (wiech) £143 on thoman
I did give much considerationto the zyex and wished i had seen your reccomendation before ordering..... That said, with the evahs as the bench mark so it seems i figured i would always be thinking if trying them...