Why become a member? ×

5 string cons

thegummy

I'm planning on buying a Yamaha bass (my first bass as a guitar player, will mostly be for recording at least initially) but have just saw that the 5 string version is actually cheaper than the 4 string.

Would there be any reason not to just get the 5 string, even if I was only going to play the top 4 strings at first?

Or are there other downsides to 5 strings that would make paying more for the 4-string version still a viable option?

Cheers.

From my somewhat limited experience with 5s the only immediate possible problem might be that you have to adjust your left hand technique more to cope with the extra width of the neck.

On a four a lot of the time you can play with your thumb over the neck, on a lot of fives that doesn't work so well so you need to go for the more 'correct' thumb on the back of the neck left hand position.

Of course if you already have a more or less classical left hand technique on guitar it probably won't be much of a change.

Edited by Cato

there is no con for me really, although some stuff I just prefer to play on a 4. Well, extensive use of a drop-D tuning leads to a 4 naturally, although I plan on having a custom 5 built with two d-tuners anyway :) Other than that, for quite a few years I was perfectly happy with just a 5-string.

If you're used to 4 strings you may have to adjust. Saying that when I first picked up a 5 string it instantly felt more at home compared to a 4 string. I also find 5 string necks to be much more comfortable to play but a lot of people don't.

So really my comment here is pretty useless as it depends what works for you personally.

[quote name='thegummy' timestamp='1454105493' post='2966606']
I'm planning on buying a Yamaha bass (my first bass as a guitar player, will mostly be for recording at least initially) but have just saw that the 5 string version is actually cheaper than the 4 string.

Would there be any reason not to just get the 5 string, even if I was only going to play the top 4 strings at first?

Or are there other downsides to 5 strings that would make paying more for the 4-string version still a viable option?

Cheers.
[/quote]
For a a guitar player and for a first bass for occasional use, no difference IMHO

If you intend to stick with bass my experience was that it was better to learn on a 4. The reason is that I played up and down the length of the neck. I had a 5 first and was tending to play across the neck as if I was playing a guitar solo. I went back to 4's before moving to 5's permanently. I hope that makes sense :) I still have lots of learning to do but am much happier after learning on a 4 first

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1454111707' post='2966685']
I saw a local band recently where the bassist kept failing to mute the B-string when he wasn't playing it, and the resulting low rumble was just enough to subtly mess up the whole sound of the band. That's never been a problem for me, but clearly it's one more thing to think about with a five.
[/quote]

He should have played on the B further up the neck, no difference to a crap technique and the E ringing out if he played a four string I'd imagine?

Thanks for all the advice, few things have came up that I didn't think of.

Unfortunately there are no shops here that stock both versions of this specific bass but I might try out some 5-strings just to get a general idea of what they can feel like.

I'm not used to 4 strings as I've not really played that much bass at all but I am used to the bottom string being E so not sure if that would play a factor.

At this point I'm leaning towards getting the 5 since it's actually cheaper anyway and I'll have the option of playing lower notes for recording. I don't think the ringing-out issue will be a problem for me since, when I have played bass, I tend to mute the E with my thumb when playing the A string anyway.

Cheers

It takes a bit of adjustment, but not a lot.

When I bought my first 5 string, I spent a short time mentally preparing for playing a 5, such as visualising the new notes etc.

I really don't think there are any cons to playing a 5 string. You have more notes, you don't need to down tune or transpose lines to play some songs. It makes reading gigs slightly easier, I find anyway, because I can play across the neck, rather than down. Most of the notes that you use regularly are available without any real position shifts.

Five string basses look cooler too, 6 string basses look even more cooler :).

A new set of strings is more expensive.

You usually need to pay more for a decent one compared to a 4 string. In my experience a lot of cheap 5s have horrid B strings with a floppy, undefined sound.

Congratulations on the choice of Yamaha. In my opinion you can't make a better choice at their price-points.

I don't see the point of starting on a 4 if you intend to move to 5. That's likely to be more confusing.

It's as weird as starting on a tenor sax when you intend to move to an alto. In fact it's more weird as a 5 will do everything a 4 can, rather than the limits of the woodwind range.

Get the one you intend to keep going with.

would agree that muting would be more important with more strings. IMO there is also a technique adjustment when playing the E string - playing "into" the B string feels different rather than playing the E "against the pickup" on a 4 string. Pros and cons to that....

5/6 string basses may also be more "suggestive' towards floating thumb, as opposed to fixed thumb, right hand techniques (again, muting, and getting consistency of tone) - assuming it's fingerstyle of course!

I think this is a great example of you being conned by the manufacturer - selling it as a version of a popular 4 string bass, It may be the same model and same colour with an extra string but unless they have approached the construction as a 5 string bass then it could be a real Lemon.
[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1454118015' post='2966726']
There are no upsides or downsides. . . . only preferences and choices.

Try several.

If you like one. . . . get it.
[/quote]

Try some top end basses and some cheap mass productions and then you will be in a better position to know what you want to spend. Having said that Yamaha are the best of the low budget basses i have played also check out Cort.

Edited by deepbass5

[quote name='Jazzjames' timestamp='1454147710' post='2966868']
Read this before you buy.

[url="http://www.recordingmag.com/resources/resourceDetail/134.html"]http://www.recording...Detail/134.html[/url]

At the end of the day though, the yamaha 5er will probably do a super job. Try before you buy!
[/quote]

Thanks for the link, it's swung me back to undecided when I was heading in the direction of the 5

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1454236177' post='2967650']
I think this is a great example of you being conned by the manufacturer - selling it as a version of a popular 4 string bass, It may be the same model and same colour with an extra string but unless they have approached the construction as a 5 string bass then it could be a real Lemon.
[/quote]

It's the Yamaha BB425 - seems to be quite popular with people online; maybe someone will have some input on how it compares to its 4 string brother?

Just to note, the manufacturer's selling price isn't cheaper than the 4 string, it's just that a shop has a sale on the 5 string version at the moment.

If you think a 5 string bass can't be recorded successfully or well, you'd better tell Nathan East. Or maybe you should get a better engineer.

In terms of quality of sound both Duck Dunn and James Jamerson's sound when recording was terrible. If that matters it's only to a small number of engineers who care more about sound than they do about playing.