Why become a member? ×

6-String Basses | Modulus | Roscoe | Spector | Warwick - Comparison

AngelDust

[url="https://youtu.be/4YWVrp0AAtI?list=PLnyNuaj1NMs01TVYt3ef0F2D95tJ2G-kc"][/url]

[url="https://youtu.be/4YWVrp0AAtI?list=PLnyNuaj1NMs01TVYt3ef0F2D95tJ2G-kc"]https://youtu.be/4YW...ef0F2D95tJ2G-kc[/url]

Modulus Quantum 6 - Roscoe SKB 3006 - Warwick Thumb NT 6 '89 - Spector Euro LX 6
Welcome to my review of really nice 6-string basses. All of them have 35" scale (except Warwick) and Bartolini Soapbars (except Spector), great B string, nice upper register. They all have cool juicy modern sound. I'll try to put them all in one rock-type mix and to play in whole diapason of the neck to see possibilities of 6-string basses!

Edited by AngelDust

[quote name='Paulhauser' timestamp='1454222996' post='2967568']
Nice comparison! I'm partial towards Spectors but all the three others are great sounding instruments. Ww was a bit of a surprise as it sounds way beefier and stronger than my Ww Thumb NT5 from '91 did. Must be the soapbars.
[/quote]
I think you are right re: soapbars, IIRC pickup placement is also a bit different between the 5 and 6 models. My 1990 NT6 sounds VERY similar to this demo, even though it has different pickups.

What a great video. I think you've certainly demonstrated the capabilities of each instrument.

I owned a Modulus Q6 until about 6 weeks ago. I currently own a Roscoe SKB3006.

I think, from my experience, and your video, I think confirms this. That the Modulus is a very 'neutral' sounding bass. I used to use mine in a similar way to how Steve Lawson uses his, swamped with effects, to create soundscapes.

The Warwick sounds best for the rockier part, it has a sound that cuts through better than the others. The Modulus seemed to get lost somehow there.

I've never liked Spectors.

I mostly play jazz, and my SKB3006 seems well suited to this. It has jazz pickups, and a birds-eye maple fretboard, so it's quite a bright sounding bass.

Great video! :)

The Warwick wins it by a mile for me, such character to the sound with the other 3 almost generic by comparison. I did like the clarity of the Modulus, but the Spector and particularly the Roscoe sounded weak to me.

Warwick > Modulus > Spector > Roscoe

So it looks like the Warwick has gone down the best, with the majority at least.
What do you reckon it's doing right?
Is it the pickup placement? That's the only obvious difference, bar the fact it's a 34" scale when the others are 35".

Eude

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1454689339' post='2972133']
It's actually made me have GAS for a thumb bass again...
[/quote]

My Thumb GAS will never go away, but man alive I don't miss the awful balance and reach to 1st position.
They're gorgeous basses and incredible sounding instruments, but they don't fit short arses like myself so well...

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1454690385' post='2972153']
My Thumb GAS will never go away, but man alive I don't miss the awful balance and reach to 1st position.
They're gorgeous basses and incredible sounding instruments, but they don't fit short arses like myself so well...

Eude
[/quote]

I had a NT thumb sixer for a bit and the ergonomics were very strange, it hung in a very odd place on the strap, felt like it wanted to slide around to the left all the time. Seriously neck heavy as well... It sounded absolutely awesome though :blink:

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1454690385' post='2972153']

Eude
[/quote]

I just found them a little heavy. I didn't have that much in the way of neck dive...but I do miss that bass.

My Thumb NT5 was the strangest designed instrument I ever had. I'd go as far as call it a "faulty" design, because the 1st position is just so far, and I'm not a short guy (and neither are my arms short)
If I knew that all my gigs would be seated I'd consider a Thumb NT6 because it died sound really good, unlike the Thumb NT5 that was not great. The soapbars in the 6 must be the trick.