Why become a member? ×

Bass trainer that can also record

barry021574

I'm part of an originals project where I am writing bass lines against the songwriter's acoustic and vocal first recordings.

I want an MP3 unit to play back his tracks and play my bass over them, and when I've got a bass line I like I want to be able to record his track and my line together.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

There are lots of ways to do this - PC/Mac,tablet/smartphone,dedicated digital recorder. The PC/Mac/tablet/smartphone options would require some sort of audio interface and using something like audacity (or a full blown DAW) to playback/record.

The digital recorder option gets potentially very interesting if you have ambition to record good quality demos, from the desk at gigs or micing everyone up in the rehearsal room - there are small portable units with capability to record between 1 and 16 tracks simultaneously at very affordable prices (but feature sets vary enormously, especially connectivity - the Cymatic LR-16 offers full 16 track recording at under £300 but is specifically designed to run from the insert points on a mixing desk and has no preamps of its own) depending on your needs, take a look at what the Boss BR-80, Tascam-DR40/Zoom H4N and Zoom R16 offer at their respective pricepoints.

[quote name='barry021574' timestamp='1454240773' post='2967721']...
Has anyone got any suggestions?
[/quote]

If this is for simple home use, it can be done with as little as a USB cable from bass to PC ([url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alesis-Guitar-Link-Audio-GuitarLink/dp/B002IDTPB2"]Alesis[/url], very low cost, and perfectly acceptable quality...).
More control can be had using a dedicated interface, such as the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (I use a Tascam US144; there are many others...).
Using software such as Audacity (free, simple...) or Reaper (free to try, $60 to license, easy enough to use and powerful...), the tracks can be played and you can record any number of tracks alongside.
Does this helps..?

Edited by Dad3353

Thanks for the replies, guys.
I was thinking of something more like a self-contained unit. I have a Tascam MP-BT1 which can hold MP3 tracks and I can plug my bass into it and play along. I bought it years ago and it's no longer made. I was planning to replace it, but would like to be able to record my efforts too.

[quote name='barry021574' timestamp='1454256093' post='2967887']
Thanks for the replies, guys.
I was thinking of something more like a self-contained unit. I have a Tascam MP-BT1 which can hold MP3 tracks and I can plug my bass into it and play along. I bought it years ago and it's no longer made. I was planning to replace it, but would like to be able to record my efforts too.
[/quote]

Ah. As a self-contained unit, I have a Fostex MR-8HD, into which I can record 4 tracks simultaneously, with 8 tracks available. I can import MP3 converted to WAV. It's very good indeed, but no longer made (which makes it more affordable, heh heh..!). There are flash card models, here's one on t'bay at the moment ...

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fostex-MR-8-Digital-Multitracker-Recorder-2GB-Memory-AC-or-Battery-PC-Mac-/201511799650?hash=item2eeb0a0b62:g:9nkAAOSwqYBWncDY"]Fostex MR-8 on t'bay ...[/url]