Why become a member? ×

Tascam US-16x08; Just to be clear...

Kairyu

Hi guys,

I've done a little searching online and on this forum regarding some interface queries I had; basically I'm currently running 2 Presonus Firestudios daisy chained together, and used to have my drum kit fully mic'd permanently (Into the second interface). The other interface would then handle any other instruments I fancied recording, without having to mess with the other inputs. However, there appears to be a certain level of instability with the two units daisychained together that would occasionally cause them to stop reading inputs/outputs (this would cause a red flashing light on both units). I tried to find a resolution for this online, but haven't had any luck. The two units work fine on their own, so my plan is to sell them individually and get a single unit with more inputs to handle my recording needs.

This brings me to the Tascam US-16x08. On the face value of it, it has everything I'd need (8 mic inputs minimum being important). The only thing I'm not clear on or able to find a difinative answer for online is how many tracks you can record simultaneously into a DAW. My initial experience with USB interfaces left a bitter taste in my mouth as I could only record from the master out of my interface, leaving no space to tweak individual levels post recording, etc. The Tascam seems to be able to simultaneously multitrack, but from what I've read, it can only multitrack 8 channels at once. Is this true? How would this work if there is 16 inputs? If anyone has any first hand experience with this interface, or can direct me to more information that can clarify this for me, I would very much appreciate your input.

P.S; sorry for my long-winded essay; I realised at the end of writing it that the last 4 sentences basically explains the important part of my post, lol

[quote name='Kairyu' timestamp='1454279772' post='2968265']...direct me to more information that can clarify this for me...
[/quote]

See here ...

[url="http://tascam.com/product/us-16x08/overview/"]Tascam US16x08 ...[/url]

... for confirmation (scroll down some...) that all 16 i/ps can be simultaneously be recorded through the USB 2.0 to any reasonable DAW.
If any doubts subsist, here's where to get the Owner's Manual as Pdf...

[url="http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/859/us-16x08_om_va.pdf"]Owner's Manual ...[/url]

Sounds like a good plan; Tascam interfaces are good quality (I use a more modest US-144 MkII...). For the needs you describe, I'd give this a thumbs up.
Hope this helps.

Edited by Dad3353

Cheers for this, this should give me the go-ahead to go for one of these units now. Interestingly enough, I didn't see anything in the manual specifically stating about being able to record 16 simultaneous tracks, but I did notice that the phantom power for the mic preamps work in groups of 4. If my kit is fully mic'd, I have 5 unpowered mics and 3 phantom powered mics, so I'll have to either change one of my mics, use an XLR to jack in a different channel, or record with one less mic. Maybe I can use a LDC on the bass drum... Research continues!

[quote name='Kairyu' timestamp='1454283901' post='2968308']...the phantom power for the mic preamps work in groups of 4...
[/quote]

Yes, there are many consoles and other gear that switch phantom in groups, or even just globally 'on - off'. It won't worry a dynamic mic to have phantom power present, although it's not highly recommended to switch it on and off when they're present. The 'biggy' is ribbon mics; they won't appreciate phantom power at all (we're talking probable destroy, here...), but I don't suppose you're using those (well, not yet, at least...)..? My Fostex has global phantom, and I mix large-diaphragm condenser mics with dynamics (Sennheiser, Shure, AKG... whatever...) with no issues. I've had other consoles with the same, and never a worry. Be a bit sensible in your switching and you'll have no problems.

Edit: I've just noticed that they warn, in the manual, of +48v fed to[b] un[/b]balanced mics. I might be inclined to agree with them there, as this could damage the phantom power..! I'd assume however, that all your mics are balanced, in which case, I'd maintain that it's OK.

Edited by Dad3353