Why become a member? ×

PODxt Live to Bass PODxt Live?

Skybone

So I've been looking at various DI / Amp Modeller options, in the aim to "go ampless" for my bass-rig, I already have a Zoom B3, which is the benchmark, but is kind of limited if you want to add a few effects to an amp model. As the Bass PODxt Live seems like the proverbial rocking horse doings, I latched onto the idea of getting a "standard" guitar POD Live floorboard & loading the bass amp models onto it. I managed to score a second hand PODxt Live on eBay over the weekend, with the thought of adding some more scope to my sound by adding effects etc.

Anyone ever tried it?

I have a regular PODxt, and had a Bass PODxt a while ago, so actually have the bass amp/cab models backed up on my system somewhere. If I can't do that, then I can just buy the Bass Expansion Pack from Line6.

Experiences / opinions on the Line6? (apart from the lack of development of their bass amp models/range).

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1454320990' post='2968460']
So I've been looking at various DI / Amp Modeller options, in the aim to "go ampless" for my bass-rig, I already have a Zoom B3, which is the benchmark, but is kind of limited if you want to add a few effects to an amp model. As the Bass PODxt Live seems like the proverbial rocking horse doings, I latched onto the idea of getting a "standard" guitar POD Live floorboard & loading the bass amp models onto it. I managed to score a second hand PODxt Live on eBay over the weekend, with the thought of adding some more scope to my sound by adding effects etc.

Anyone ever tried it?

I have a regular PODxt, and had a Bass PODxt a while ago, so actually have the bass amp/cab models backed up on my system somewhere. If I can't do that, then I can just buy the Bass Expansion Pack from Line6.

Experiences / opinions on the Line6? (apart from the lack of development of their bass amp models/range).
[/quote]

I have exactly this setup - I pretty much use it as a headphone practice amp and for recording. I got it initially for guitar and got the expansion pack to convert it.

Things to consider: The guitar version doesn't have a DI out - so factor in getting a DI box if you need that. Using the line out is fine for me and I have a pedal with a DI to use in the chain if I ever needed to. The other difference is the Guitar XT Live has a bigger memory bank - which is good.

The models and effects - you will obviously find loads of reviews on the net on the models themselves. Some of the models are very good, others lame. I like the B15 and HiWatt models a lot, many including the SVT style just don't seem to cut it. Being a pretty old system, there haven't been any updates or development for a long time.

The built in compressor is truly rubbish, it really just doesn't seem to do much at all - something else to consider if that is important to you.

Lastly, unless the cost has come down the bass models are more than the cost of buying some of the multi-effects now on the market. Its also a big heavy beast to be gigging with compared to say a Zoom B3. But maybe its rugged construction is a good thing in many situations.

Good luck with it, whatever way you go.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1454342748' post='2968735']
Cheers, I already have a B3 to fall back on, was just looking for other options. I liked the HiWatt & the Plexi for bass on my guitar PODxt.
[/quote]

I was guilty of not reading your post properly there, saying you already had the B3. I haven't used one of those, but from what I've read the compressors in those aren't too good either. If you go for the Bass pack for the XT, it would interesting to see how it compares to the B3.

The Line 6 software is very easy to use once set up for customising the effects and presets.

I have a feeling there are some free basic bass amp models available using the POD xt software - you'll need Line 6 Monkey and Line 6 Gearbox to see what's there.

I owned a Bass PODxt a while back, so still have the backups for that somewhere on my HDD, so I'm hoping I don't have to buy the Bass Expansion Pack.

TBH, the B3 has quite a few years of development on the PODxt, but I've always found the Line6 gear to be very "intuitive". So here's hoping I can coax a decent sound from it, and adding effects etc to the basic amp model.

The B3 does sound really good IMO, so I won't be selling it on anytime soon, but I do find that I'd like to have more options than "just" 3 effects, when 1 effect is an amp model, add an EQ and a Boost/OD/Dist, and that's it. Could maybe loose the Boost/OD, and add something else, but only having one "free slot" is very limiting.

I was looking at them as well, unfortunately they're still a bit pricey for me just now, hopefully I'll track one down at some point. The footswitches on the x3 are a big draw, as well as the stereo DI XLR's & pre-loaded bass amp models.

The PODxt Live turned up today, quite impressed as it's in pretty good nick (better than the photo's). Got it up & running pretty quick & updated etc, but ended up having to buy the Bass Expansion pack from Line6 (cost more than the xt Live did!). Even loaded all my guitar patches on it too from my trusty old desktop PODxt.

Once I'd got the Expasion pack into the xt Live, I had a bit of a play about with it, various amp models & effects etc, and got it sounding rather sweet IMO. Obviously, I'm going to have to wait until the band's next rehearsal to try it out in anger, but suitably impressed so far.

Edited by Skybone

Update on the update, had a bit more of a play about with it, tried a few different amp models & settings, saved a few favourites. Still impressed with it.

It does keep showing "Clip" on the screen, can't recall how I can stop it from clipping, had a similar problem with the desktop PODxt a number of years ago. Played with the compressor, maybe drop the gain a tad too.

Edited by Skybone

You need to adjust the channel volume if you are getting the clip indicator.

I recall there is some advice in the manual on this, but boils down to adjust the channel volume down until you clip no more. Like you would the gain on a 'real' amp.

How have you found the compressors? Got any favourite amp models yet?

TBH, I haven't noticed any difference to having them on or off, but maybe I'm not setting them up "right".

I'll have a lay with the channel volume, but I do like a "bit of grit" in my sound, and always find pre-amp grit to be a bit harsh. My favourite patch on my old faithful desktop (guitar) PODxt is the JCM800 model with the channel volume pushed up, to get that "power amp" overdrive. Looks like I'm going to have to do some more tweaking. :) I had a look in the manual for clip advice, but couldn't find anything, will have to read it properly sometime! :D

Favourite amp models in the Bass Expansion Pack so far, are the SVT & the 8x10 cab (of course), the Acoustic 360 with the 1x18 cab, the Tweed 4x10 & the 2x15 Fender Dual Showman and the Marshall Super Bass. But still have a fair amount of experimentation to do.

That's been my experience with the compressors too - makes almost no difference. I think you'd have to use a separate compressor if you needed it.

I don't think the channel volume models a power amp on the XT Live - its just to adjust levels between channels to when you switch you don't get volume changes. You might find something in the amp model settings (via gearbox) that does it or something similar.

My favourites with the P bass are a slightly tweaked Clean Hiway channel (Hiwatt 200) and a tweaked 1968 Groove (B15).

Are you running into a bass amp or a power amp? I've been wondering whether the XT would drive a power amp or not.

Edited by No. 8 Wire

The XT is a pre-amp, so I can't see why it wouldn't run in front of a power amp, all the "tone" shaping is done by the xt, and it's just boosted up to amp like levels by the power amp.

My plan is to run it into the PA (basically a power amp).

I installed Gearbox, but much prefer Line6 Edit to work on tweaking settings.

• 2 weeks later...

Minor update, had a rehearsal last night, very happy with the sounds I'm getting from the XT, went through the PA instead of using the rehearsal room's old Peavey, sounded really good IMO, though it was a bit of a pain when the guitarists kept turning themselves up... Turn up the PA or the XT?

Loving the SVT model, the Sunn Colliseum model sounds excellent too.

The Pod X3 Live has both guitar and bass as well as vocal pre amps.
I don't know if the XT does it but the X3 has two completely separate signal paths which you can use as a bi amped type setup with clean bass through one channel and effects through the other, I really like this feature.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1456091180' post='2985354']
The Pod X3 Live has both guitar and bass as well as vocal pre amps.
I don't know if the XT does it but the X3 has two completely separate signal paths which you can use as a bi amped type setup with clean bass through one channel and effects through the other, I really like this feature.
[/quote]

+1 it makes the whole unit so much more useable than the XT.