Why become a member? ×

Purpleheart veneer?

Sambrook

[quote name='Sambrook' timestamp='1454330227' post='2968588']
I'm considering defretting a Conklin GT7 with purpleheart fretboard. Can any body direct me to a source in the uk?
Thanks in advance...
[/quote]

Hold on.... why not buy a Purpleheart Fingerboard?
There's a place in Kent, near Tonbridge - [url="http://www.exotichardwoods.co.uk/"]http://www.exotichardwoods.co.uk/[/url]
Timberline, Unit 7, Munday Industrial Estate, 58-66 Morley Road, Tonbridge, Kent TN9 1RP
Tel: +44 (0)1732 355626

I was there about a year ago. They had PH fingerboards. I think they might all have been ready slotted for frets, but it's worth a phone call.

Edited by Grangur

Hi,

My partner knows something quite a bit about veneering, so I mentioned this thread to her. She says that whilst contrasting woods such as Purple Heart and Maple will look great, there's a high risk of colour bleed from the PH to the Maple when working with it - particularly when finishing it. Apparently, you get purple everywhere when you work with it. As such, she suggested going for a darker hardwood, such as Wenge or straight grain American Black Walnut, which removes the bleed problem whilst still offering an understated, classy finish.

She also said that if you ask for a sample from an architectural veneering company, not only might it be enough for the job, but it will most likely be free.....

Edited by Tonteee

[quote name='Tonteee' timestamp='1454362761' post='2969062']
Hi,

My partner knows something quite a bit about veneering, so I mentioned this thread to her. She says that whilst contrasting woods such as Purple Heart and Maple will look great, there's a high risk of colour bleed from the PH to the Maple when working with it - particularly when finishing it. Apparently, you get purple everywhere when you work with it. As such, she suggested going for a darker hardwood, such as Wenge or straight grain American Black Walnut, which removes the bleed problem whilst still offering an understated, classy finish.

She also said that if you ask for a sample from an architectural veneering company, not only might it be enough for the job, but it will most likely be free.....
[/quote]

I'm guessing she is referring to the dust as it's not like it leaks anything or is a particularly oily wood. If the dust is the concern, it wouldn't really be an issue as long as you work neatly and keep a vaccum handy. There are plenty of purple heart laminate necks about and that's the same principle. Maple has extremely fine pores so there's nothing really there for the purple dust to get caught in. Padauk is a far bigger offender for coloured dust! If it was going to be an issue with finish, the board would not be finished anyway, but if it was, it would be just fine.

Wenge or Walnut would also look nice though :).

Edited by Manton Customs