Why become a member? ×

3Leaf Enabler alternative?

Bigwan

Can anyone suggest an alternative to the discontinued 3leaf enabler? I've had 2 before and regret selling them both. Now I want another there are none around! Anyone suggest an alternative that has the same functionality?

Only thing I can think of is the EBS Microbass but it doesn't have the dedicated Aux-in for headphones only (for IEM use - looking ahead here!).

Edited by Bigwan

Good call on the Ampeg. That's a possibility, if I can live with the baked-in Ampeg-ness!

An sfx custom isn't beyond the realms of possibility either I suppose... Must send a wee query email through.

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1454517161' post='2970430']
Was going to suggest the PJB Bighead but it doesn't have a thru output, it's designed to be used more for headphone practice. But if that's all you want it for I can thoroughly recommend!
[/quote]
Actually, there's one on ebay right now for a good price...

[quote name='sk8' timestamp='1454512712' post='2970381']
[url="http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/page53a.html"]http://www.davehalla...uk/page53a.html[/url]

I got a DHA VT1-EQ-DI Mk 2 and have been notheing but impressed. Used to own an enabler too.
[/quote]

Yeah you bought your enabler from me! Hadn't considered DHA stuff - had one of his compressors a few years back that has perhaps tarnished my view of his entire line a bit...

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1454517161' post='2970430']
Was going to suggest the PJB Bighead but it doesn't have a thru output, it's designed to be used more for headphone practice. But if that's all you want it for I can thoroughly recommend!
[/quote]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Already have a bighead (which is excellent, by the way!), but want the extra functionality the Enabler offers... and it's sturdy enough to go on a pedal board... and runs off 9v... [/font][/color]

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1454520506' post='2970479']
If you go DHA get the most recent model as the older ones supposedly have noisy headphone amps!
[/quote]

I very much doubt I'd go with DHA. I'm probably being unfair, but I've yet to see one that doesn't look like it was thrown together on a Friday afternoon in a GCSE Technology class. The attention to detail just isn't there. They may sound well (although with a starved plate design I'm not convinced), but they look... unfinished is probably the kindest way to put it. The control layout looks haphazard. When he doesn't take the time to even deburr his tube cooling holes I have to ask what else isn't getting done.

Look at the DIYStompboxes forum (or the DIY thread here!) and most DIY builders make better looking pedals. DHA should spend a bit more time on layouts, farm out his enclosures for etching/milling/finishing so they look professional, charge a few quid more for the privilege (prices are certainly on the better side of good for the feature set) and then fickle folk like me wouldn't be judging on appearances... IMHO, YMMV, etc. etc.

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1454517869' post='2970439'] Yeah you bought your enabler from me! Hadn't considered DHA stuff - had one of his compressors a few years back that has perhaps tarnished my view of his entire line a bit... [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Already have a bighead (which is excellent, by the way!), but want the extra functionality the Enabler offers... and it's sturdy enough to go on a pedal board... and runs off 9v... [/font][/color] [/quote]

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1454520506' post='2970479'] If you go DHA get the most recent model as the older ones supposedly have noisy headphone amps! [/quote]

I had a mk1 VT1 and the headphone amp was, to frank rubbish. The Mk2 version is much better, quieter and effective. Is it as good as the enabler probably not but its still good. Recorded with it the other night and was very pleased with the results. I had mine made in a not splashed box.

I had an Ampeg SCR DI, and I have to say, the sound was an acquired taste. Even without the Ultra-Hi button on, I found the treble very, very prominent and I had to cut the treble control to less than nine o'clock or it was just unlistenable with my Fender PJ - style bass. I am a fan of Ampeg gear, but to my ears at least, once you strip away the marketing hype, the reality is that the SCR doesn't sound very much like the classic designs we all know and love.