Why become a member? ×

Ampeg vs Ashdown cabs

danbanbass

Hi guys, I've got my new head sorted.

Now I'm in a dilemma with cabs, I'm going to be playing in a foo fighters tribute band.

Head wise I'll be using an Aguilar th500 which will be out of sight.

I tried it through a svt410he cab, however second hand these can go for £300.

I saw on gak they are doing abm 410h cabs for £341 each if you buy 2 or more.

I planned on getting two anyway.

Since then a thought has crossed my mine to possibly either get 2 1x15 cabs instead or possibly a Ashdown rm 6x10.

Because of what the foo fighters bassist has used in the past I want to be faithful to it within reason.

Any comments or advice?

Thanks

I've had an Ashdown ABM 410 before and it didn't last long as I thought it sounded really dull and the tolex was terribly soft so damaged really easily. I also had an ampeg 410hlf which again I really didn't like. Does it have to be one of the old school 410 style cabs? There are so many great 212's now that have much better dispersion of sound and bigger displacement. If you went with something like just a single BF Super 12 you would have a great rig which would slay 2 x ABM410s. I'm guessing it's as much to do with aesthetics if its a tribute act?

I know you've said you want to be as faithful as possible but I'll make the point; 99.9% of the audience probably won't know what cabs the Foos use & even out of those that do I doubt many will care that you're using the same. It's great that you're taking such care with the details but really from a punters perspective a stack's a stack.

It obviously depends on how much money you've got but if it were me I'd be focusing on buying equipment that sounds as good as you can afford then sort out the playing rather than going for a specific brand of something that he may or may not have used. Good luck with it though!

[quote name='danbanbass' timestamp='1454353225' post='2968920'] Because of what the foo fighters bassist has used in the past I want to be faithful to it within reason. [/quote]

Should really read 'Because of what the foo fighters bassist has used EXCLUSIVELY FOR OVER 15 years I want to be faithful to it within reason' ;-)

[quote name='Ashdown Engineering' timestamp='1454686356' post='2972086']

Should really read 'Because of what the foo fighters bassist has used EXCLUSIVELY FOR OVER 15 years I want to be faithful to it within reason' ;-)
[/quote]

Along with Biffy Clyro, The Stranglers, Blockheads, SOAD, Suede, The Libertines, Arctic Monkeys, Pino, Pink Floyd........ I could go on!

Edited by dave74200

[quote name='danbanbass' timestamp='1454692273' post='2972187']
Excuse my terrible grammer, I think I shall be opting for the rm610 evo thanks to Lee being really helpful and patient with my questions plus being 37kg in weight it'll be alot easier to cart around than 2 ashdown ABM 410 cabs which both weigh the same each.
[/quote]

Looks like a nice cab, and weight wise, and portability, due to the integral castors, looks easy enough to shift about. Looks a good choice.

[quote name='dave74200' timestamp='1454657719' post='2971664']
Buy an Ashdown ABM 810. They normally go for really good prices, 200-300 and are awesome cabs.
[/quote]

This, if you've got the means to transport it. I've seen some unreal bargains on used Ashdown 8x10 cabs in the last couple of years.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='grenadilla' timestamp='1454701471' post='2972299']
I hope Ashdown will continue to make the ABM 610 (it is not listed for a current product). It gets the 810 vibe at 3/4 scale and penny-pinching bass players of moderate strength can buy one and shift it easier.
[/quote]

Used one this evening, a very nice cab indeed.