Why become a member? ×

Sandberg how do they stand against Fender?

Graham's Cat

Hi, I chickened out of buying a sandberg P+MM (can't remember the model number) at the London guitar show last year but it was a long and painful decision. I did buy a fender instead but down solely to price. IMO you are getting more from a sandberg: active electronics, more choice for lefties, you can customise through their online spec builder. There really is loads more you can get out of it if you don't want an off the shelf fender.
You can feel the quality in them straight away, really playable neck, the one I tickled was four string with ebony fingerboard, sounded perfect. The pickups are really clear and the electronics are intuitive, I.e. it doesn't take ages of tweaking to work out what they do. I could even give it a passable slap off the big mm pickup, and I'm not a competent slap player. Set up nicely it was great, I could easily have one as my only fretted bass. I think they're excellent value on thomann, not so good value from UK shops.

Stunning basses.

I've had a TM5 and I'm selling a TT4 passive as I'm only playing 5 strings now.

The Sandberg neck is far nicer to me - it's slim like a jazz but the fretboard radius is 14 inches, much flatter than a Fender. The neck only has a satin oil finish and is really fast. My TT4 has a far lower action than any Fender I've ever played

Also recent build models come with Sandberg's own lightweight tuners so there isn't any neck dive.

The TT4 passive sounds like a good jazz should, but with modern touches like the flatter board, 22 frets etc.

The active ones have a sensible 2 band EQ that doesn't get silly.

I suppose the only issue is that if you want something specific, like an ebony board, or block markers, matched headstock etc - those are optional extras, so you either have to make a specific order and wait about 8 months (or 18 months if you want a heavy relic) or hope you find a dealer with the exact spec you really want.

Although I'm offloading my 4 string basses, if I ever wanted another P or J type I'd buy another Sandberg. Fender wouldn't get my money.

I have a Sandberg TM4:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/250827-nbd-ill-have-that-sandberg/page__hl__sandberg+tm4__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/250827-nbd-ill-have-that-sandberg/page__hl__sandberg+tm4__fromsearch__1[/url]

Compared to a Mexi Fender jazz, and a USA Fender Jazz it blows them out the water. If your thinking of getting a Sandberg then I say go for it!

Hmmm . . . The temptation is mounting . . . I'm looking for a fretless four or five strings. Though limited compared to the rightie scene, I like what seen so far and the feedback endourses the appetite. The flexabiltily of the TM is very appealing, with the split bucker and single PU tonal flexability is well catered for. Weighting was something I'd overlooked, so thanks for bringing that to my attention. Being a lefty means variety is limited, and the chances of playing prior to purchase virtually impossible.

Played the PM and TM 4 basses and the star for me were the delano pickups. Never played active basses where I found it as easy to dial in a great tone. The P and J pickups on the respective models were both great and the humbucker, whilst not exactly MM had a nice tone which really opened up the range of sounds on offer, never mind the coil tap!

The TM4 I had was light and beautifully balanced and the stained finish was just gorgeous. Unfortunately the bridge had been installed too far back and it had to go back to Sandberg. Pretty big oversight in QC terms, how it was setup and signed off by their QC inspector is a mystery to me as it was never going to be intonate correctly with the bridge so far out of whack.

As far as the Fender comparisons go, the Sandberg's definitely have a more modern hifi sound and are IMO a par with but no better than the half a dozen US Fenders I've owned in terms of materials or fit and finish. They feel like nice, well build basses and look bloody great.

Edited by Subbeh

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Subbeh' timestamp='1454630904' post='2971597']
As far as the Fender comparisons go, the Sandberg's definitely have a more modern hifi sound and are IMO a par with but no better than the half a dozen US Fenders I've owned in terms of materials or fit and finish. They feel like nice, well build basses and look bloody great.
[/quote]

That's a pretty good summary and I'd probably agree with it - I don't think they're necessarily better than Fenders really, they're just different.
They are well built and are reliable but they do sound more modern than their Fender counterparts.
I'd recommend playing 1 or at least listening to the model you're after in person first.

I own 2 Sandberg 5 strings and love them! A california VM5 and a California TT5. Buil quality is great, they feel amazing especially the satin finish VM5. Well worth spending some time playing a couple to see what you think.
I was all set to buy a Sadowsky and ended up buying 2 x Sandbergs!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1460747464' post='3028521']
muso Jurgen Klopp's :)
[/quote]

Brilliant! Sandberg are great. Cool company with good customer service too. I love my VM5 Supreme; but unfortunately it's time to move her along 😯

• 2 weeks later...

I had a California TT4 with Haussel p/ups for about six months, and I'd echo some of the comments above. Not better than USA Fenders, just different.

Loved the feel and radius of the neck, the overall build quality, the light weight, the tasteful relicing, and it looked cool, with a immaculate fretwork and a great set up straight from the factory. Very impressed indeed, which is why i bought it.

But ultimately after gigging it for a while I realised the sound to be too hi-fi for me, and dare i say it, 'polite'.

I traded it in for a Fender Jazz, which was more my thing. Ok so it's a heavier bass, the action isn't as low, but I prefer the Fender sound.

A TT4 and a jazz bass look similar, but they're quite different sounding instruments IMHO.

Both lovely in their own ways tho :)

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1454578926' post='2970902']
Great value from Thomann!
[/quote]

The prices don't look much different from those at Bass Direct - and its British :-) You have to be really careful with Thomanns quoted exchange rate prices - they're frequently not accurate.
And its much easier to sort if theres an issue...

I had a Sandberg VM4.
Really impressed with the build quality, especially for the price.
Easily equatable to Fenders i've played.
Sound wise, i found it cut through the mix really well. Really beefy tone to it.
I sold it because i preferred my Warwick Streamer and i found the neck too deep for my preference.
Great bass though