Why become a member? ×

Which Tuner?

Ashweb

I've been looking for a new tuner for my bass(es) :D as I'd like to replace the clip on tuner supplied with my first bass with a plug in type so I'm analysing the output from the pickups and not the frequency of the string vibration; seems to be a more accurate and logical way of tuning an electric instrument to me.

I've been looking on line and there appears to be two types of plug in tuner, an ordinary tuner and a chromatic tuner; my question is what is the difference (if any) between the two? I'm looking to tune one bass in standard EADG and another in drop tune to be able to play along with some tracks I'm keen on. Would one type be better suited to this than the other?

Really like the Korg GA-1 and GA-40; any other recommendations?

Definitely chromatic, esp if you're doing non standard tunings. The non-chromatic will tune to standard guitar notes E A D G B. The chromatic will show you which note the string is playing and how in tune it is. I didn't know theystillmade non chromatic.

The other two tuners to checkout are 1) the Polytune (my personal fave). Good stable tuner, well designed and clear display. And 2) the Boss TU series. I think the TU3 is the latest model. Not as clear a display in my opinion but still very good. This was my fave until I got a Polytune.

Both excellent, robuat pieces of kit that will probably outlast you! These two alongside the Korg Pitchblack are probably the three market leaders.

Edited by TrevorR

I've got a few tuners, a very old non chromatic tuner (with an analogue VU style needle indicator); the chromatic tuner built into my Zoom B9.1 effects unit and I've also, for fun, been trying a free Android app on my phone; seems to work quite well...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bork.dsp.datuna&hl=en_GB

Thanks for all the replies - really helpful. :D

I've had a look at all your suggestions and I think I'm going to go for the Korg Pitchblack; slightly more expensive than the GA-40 I was looking at originally so does that make me the latest victim of GAS?

[quote name='Ashweb' timestamp='1454454445' post='2970008']
Thanks for all the replies - really helpful. :D

I've had a look at all your suggestions and I think I'm going to go for the Korg Pitchblack; slightly more expensive than the GA-40 I was looking at originally so does that make me the latest victim of GAS?
[/quote]

but how could you not buy it? it looks like KITT... :lol:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo8Qls0HnWo[/media]

• 2 weeks later...