Why become a member? ×

I appear to have a millenial generation attitude

Nicko

[url="http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35460401"]http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35460401[/url]

I'm far too old, but I'm definitely showing some signs of taking this approach.

1. I take as much holiday as I can get away with
2. I work the hours I need to do the job, not a rigid 40 hour week
3. I no longer feel the need to get promoted, I took a demotion a few years back
4. I don't possess a wearable tie and was relieved that neither of the guys that interviewed me were wearing one
5. Social media in work time, Why not, sometimes I do work in social time too.

Unfortunately, I don't work for Virgin, and my "employer" doesn't really approve of my attitude. This is the reason I'm an agency worker in the first place

I have zero workplace benefits... like a great many people the companies I work for choose to get around all the "workers welfare" legislation by making us all work as limited companies, engaged to complete a specific task as opposed to actual employees. Therefore if we have any issues we would have to sack ourselves as we are the director and sole worker of our respective limited companies and technically our own employer.

No holiday pay, no sick pay, no flexitime, on a weeks notice of contract terminiation and a minimum 50hr work week.. it is very much a case of "Do what we tell you or f**k off and we'll get someone else in to do it..." it's not all bad though as the money is good :)

Edited by CamdenRob

Yet again older people speaking for a generation they don't understand. I come into this category but I want to be promoted and make as much money as possible. I really do not want to have a dead end job earning nothing but 'being satisfied with life'. I also am not present on any social media because newspapers aren't taking my image without my permission when I keel over.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1454415927' post='2969468']
Yet again older people speaking for a generation they don't understand. I come into this category but I want to be promoted and make as much money as possible. I really do not want to have a dead end job earning nothing but 'being satisfied with life'.
[/quote]

I agree with this. I would fall into the younger part of that generation and although I do agree that it's important for mental well-being to enjoy (or at least not detest) your job, the fact that the article states that we aren't interested in a job for life and that it isn't a motivating factor is pretty dim-witted.

As a fully paid up Gen-Xer, yeah, whatever. :D Looks like the boomers doing their 'no its all about us! Beatles! Stones! Write a letter, forget your gungey hippy hop dances and social media telephones!'' thing again. And aof course, ignoring the generation they spawned while fawning over their grandchildren.

Bitter much? A bit. But hey, i work in the tech industry because i was there when it was new and nobody except nerds with pierced noses knew how it worked.. :D I file that under 'win'....

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1454419134' post='2969526']
They do if you work in the public sector or for a very large corporation.... but for most of us mortals no, not a chance.
[/quote]
Even then, especially recently I've known a lot of public sector workers whose jobs have gone down the Swanee.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1454421239' post='2969558']
Even then, especially recently I've known a lot of public sector workers whose jobs have gone down the Swanee.
[/quote]

Yes unfortunately, as with some of the larger corporations, when employee benefits pile up after years and years of increasing holiday days and statutory pay rises etc. employees start to look expensive and management then generally make everyone redundant under some "re-organization" rouse or similar then starts again with new cheaper employees.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1454418983' post='2969521']
Do jobs for life even exist any more?
[/quote]
They do if you work in the public sector...
[/quote]

Emphatically NO. That was the case say 20 years ago, but not any more. Cuts, redundancies, short-term contracts.

[quote name='operative451' timestamp='1454419156' post='2969527']
Bitter much? A bit. But hey, i work in the tech industry because i was there when it was new and nobody except nerds with pierced noses knew how it worked.. :D I file that under 'win'....
[/quote]

Care to define 'new' in this context?

[spoiler]For reference, I wrote my first computer program at uni in 1978, my first software project (for a school) in 1982, was offered - but turned down - a job writing banking systems software in 1988, by which time I was a head of department teaching the next generation how to do it. [/spoiler]

While I'm here, I can't help but feel your characterisation is bit sweeping and stereotypical (arising no doubt from your aforementioned bitterness). I have no kids, I don't do 'holier-than-thou', and whilst I can't help when I was born I certainly have no intention of apologising for it.

I don't give a sh*t what anybody thinks about my taste in cars, music, philosophy or food - or anything else that might be relevant (athough I do sometimes get a bit antsey when people presume to preach the error of my ways to me). I worked hard in the environment that prevailed when I was working. It's different now: so be it.

They do if you work in the public sector or for a very large corporation.... but for most of us mortals no, not a chance.
[/quote]

Jobs for life in the public sector stopped a long time ago. I know that from experience as I was one of many that was made redundant.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1454428132' post='2969647']
Jobs for life in the public sector stopped a long time ago. I know that from experience as I was one of many that was made redundant.
[/quote]

Indeed, yet this myth still persists. Neither have pay levels increased to those of the private sector by way of compensation...

My parents never had to worry about losing their jobs as teachers :)

I guess some of the stuff which has been privatized is effectively private sector anyway now so I expect those jobs are now in the same boat as the rest of us... Essentially anything where money matters is going to be looking to have it's wage bill as cheap as possible.

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1454428675' post='2969651']
Indeed, yet this myth still persists. Neither have pay levels increased to those of the private sector by way of compensation...
[/quote]

I know 2 public sector workers who will retire very soon in their 50s with no change in lifestyle , only a serious pension pot will allow that.

Im pleased for them , don't get me wrong.

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1454428675' post='2969651']
[/quote]

No - but sick leave is laughably uncontrolled in some councils, and 'performance reviews' are just tick boxes.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1454428132' post='2969647']

[/quote]

It's a myth that really gets my goat and shows reap ignorance of current reality. As you say, maybe 20 years ago it may have had some validity but definitely not now.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1454430222' post='2969668']
I know 2 public sector workers who will retire very soon in their 50s with no change in lifestyle , only a serious pension pot will allow that.

Im pleased for them , don't get me wrong.
[/quote]

Anecdotal evidence is rarely a useful indicator of the true facts. For example, my dad retired in his 50s and worked in the shipping industry...

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1454431079' post='2969677']
Anecdotal evidence is rarely a useful indicator of the true facts. For example, my dad retired in his 50s and worked in the shipping industry...
[/quote]

What I said was not Anecdotal, it was true, of the 2 people I mention at least

I think they where lucky in their time, I doubt that package is on offer to school leavers now