Why become a member? ×

I appear to have a millenial generation attitude

Nicko

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1454431580' post='2969686']
What I said was not Anecdotal, it was true, of the 2 people I mention at least

I think they where lucky in their time, I doubt that package is on offer to school leavers now
[/quote]

It is anecodtal in the context of this discussion because no one is able to verify that what you say is entirely true... perhaps these individuals have inherited some property or wealth you are unaware of, for example?

That said, as someone about to enter their 50s later this year, and who has spend about half their working life in the public sector, I certainly won't be retiring in the next 10 years and I doubt any of my public sector colleagues will either...

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1454432181' post='2969693']
It is anecodtal in the context of this discussion because no one is able to verify that what you say is entirely true... perhaps these individuals have inherited some property or wealth you are unaware of, for example?

That said, as someone about to enter their 50s later this year, and who has spend about half their working life in the public sector, I certainly won't be retiring in the next 10 years and I doubt any of my public sector colleagues will either...
[/quote]

I have known these 2 guys for years, we have played football through to vets together, they have always spoken about their retirement date, and no circumstances have brought that forward or changed it. Like I said I think they where lucky at the time they signed up and to be fair they have always come across as if they know it.

In the couple of public sector jobs I've worked there has been a definite sense of the ladder having been pulled up in recent years. People who'd been there a while had had various study and professional development opportunities supported by the employer, which were no longer an option, and none of the older guard had stayed at the bottom rung of the pay scale for long, while people starting when I did tended to stay at that level for years.

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1454431129' post='2969678']
And you know this how?
[/quote]Both personal and anecdotal experience from peers. I'm not saying that all council jobs are like this, far from it - but short of the Call Centre industry, it's a poor relation to the expectations/attitude in a lot of private sector companies I've come across.

I blame my parents too - they have cushy pensions and no mortgage, and retired early. I think I'll be dead long before I retire...

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1454414885' post='2969452']
[url="http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35460401"]http://www.bbc.com/n...siness-35460401[/url]

I'm far too old, but I'm definitely showing some signs of taking this approach.

1. I take as much holiday as I can get away with
2. I work the hours I need to do the job, not a rigid 40 hour week
3. I no longer feel the need to get promoted, I took a demotion a few years back
4. I don't possess a wearable tie and was relieved that neither of the guys that interviewed me were wearing one
5. Social media in work time, Why not, sometimes I do work in social time too.

Unfortunately, I don't work for Virgin, and my "employer" doesn't really approve of my attitude. This is the reason I'm an agency worker in the first place
[/quote]

Presumably you only use apple kit and wear a scarf indoors ?.

I guess I am lucky in that I found a really excellent company to work for,

Yes I take as much holiday as I can, I certainly work hard enough for it,
I work the hours I need to get my job done, some weeks I will do 60 hours other weeks 30 hours, as long as I get my job done everybody's happy,
I don't seek promotion, I like the job I do
I do possess a few ties, I am not required to wear one but a smart shirt and tie works for me with the people I deal with being company ceo's and the likes
Social media is allowed at work within reason, personally I don't agree with it as I am there to work, when I finish work I can social media to my hearts content

Most of my colleagues have been with the company for 20 years plus, bear in mind the company is only 35 years old and operated with a staff level of 3 for the first 5 years.

I have worked for some absolutely dreadful companies over the years, I am just lucky I stumbled on an excellent one...I have been approached with better paid offers on 3 occasions now and have turned each one down flat without a moments hesitation, is it a job for life?......Only time will tell but with the finances of the company where they are and the amount of money I save them...I don't see a reason to be looking elsewhere anytime soon

I am of that generation, being 20 years old. I take as much time off as i can and do my contracted hours, plus a day of overtime every 2 weeks and never once wear a tie. Not looking for promotion as it's a tiny company (6 staff) with no real tree to go up though it's been going 22 years and it's a brilliant place to work.

Edited by LiamPodmore

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1454438783' post='2969780']
I guess I am lucky in that I found a really excellent company to work for,

Yes I take as much holiday as I can, I certainly work hard enough for it,
I work the hours I need to get my job done, some weeks I will do 60 hours other weeks 30 hours, as long as I get my job done everybody's happy,
I don't seek promotion, I like the job I do
I do possess a few ties, I am not required to wear one but a smart shirt and tie works for me with the people I deal with being company ceo's and the likes
Social media is allowed at work within reason, personally I don't agree with it as I am there to work, when I finish work I can social media to my hearts content

Most of my colleagues have been with the company for 20 years plus, bear in mind the company is only 35 years old and operated with a staff level of 3 for the first 5 years.

I have worked for some absolutely dreadful companies over the years, I am just lucky I stumbled on an excellent one...I have been approached with better paid offers on 3 occasions now and have turned each one down flat without a moments hesitation, is it a job for life?......Only time will tell but with the finances of the company where they are and the amount of money I save them...I don't see a reason to be looking elsewhere anytime soon
[/quote]

I don't think it's luck.

There are many posters who will tell you straight away that when you go for an audition you're auditioning the band as well.

Same goes for an interview.

You've worked for some dreadful companies. Why don't you still work for them?

It's not rocket science.

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1454426986' post='2969641']
Care to define 'new' in this context?

[spoiler]For reference, I wrote my first computer program at uni in 1978, my first software project (for a school) in 1982, was offered - but turned down - a job writing banking systems software in 1988, by which time I was a head of department teaching the next generation how to do it. [/spoiler]

While I'm here, I can't help but feel your characterisation is bit sweeping and stereotypical (arising no doubt from your aforementioned bitterness). I have no kids, I don't do 'holier-than-thou', and whilst I can't help when I was born I certainly have no intention of apologising for it.

I don't give a sh*t what anybody thinks about my taste in cars, music, philosophy or food - or anything else that might be relevant (athough I do sometimes get a bit antsey when people presume to preach the error of my ways to me). I worked hard in the environment that prevailed when I was working. It's different now: so be it.
[/quote]

I should have said 'internet' rather than just tech, as technically tech is whatever's technical at the time... Technically...

So 'the web', circa late 90s. I spent most of the early 2000s being told 'you don't know anything, it was better in my day, make this telly typewriter thingy work properly'. So yeah. Bit bitter. But i'm having therapy! :D

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1454437303' post='2969758']
Presumably you only use apple kit and wear a scarf indoors ?.
[/quote]

Erm, no - quite the opposite. I am steadfastly non apple and prefer my neck to be "au naturel" I'm not a tech worker either.

I started in a company that was a job for life nearly 30 years ago. I am still there, but lots of mass redundancies, and constant worries about the future, it doesn't seem like a job for life now The other 2 big employers that were regarded as jobs for life have both gone.
As for having flexi time and holidays, no chance. My holiday is rota'd in my shift pattern, and as I work in a 24 hour factory, there is no scope for flexi time.
Boring job, but the best money I will ever get.

Edited by timmo

A friend of mine works for Proctor & Gamble. He is one of a small team dealing with the machines that churn out a million pampers nappies every few hours. By his own admission he is paid very well for what he does, but there's a catch. He has worked day and night shifts for 25 years, zero flexibility, zero bank hols, all leave needs to be booked weeks in advance and it is hard,, physical work. I probably get paid a similar amount by the hour, but have flexible working, flexibility in terms of leave, a basic 35 hour week, lots of stress at times, but lots of reward. There are ups and downs to everything.

I actively sought a demotion in my last school because I enjoy teaching, not what the job becomes as you're promoted 'up the ladder'. Schools are a great model for how there's little recognition to people doing their jibs well regardless of the level of the ladder they're on. You either turn into a reluctant manager of people often twice your age and experience or you quit.

I was made redundant from the only job I've ever had that I enjoyed. Apart from that I've only ever had sh*tty, badly paid jobs, and hated every minute of them.
I'm actually glad that my health has deteriorated to the point where I can no longer work.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1454592906' post='2971135']
... or you quit.
[/quote]

... which is what I did. :) Set up my own music services business covering teaching (which allowed me to use my skillset), and a miscellaneous bunch of performance-related activities (which is - or at least ought to be - why we all do this stuff in the first place). We were as poor as church mice for nearly a decade but I never, ever regretted it. In all honesty I'd struggle to recommend anybody to go into teaching right now if they're the least bit uncertain (which is not something I'd have said ten years ago... :unsure:). Yes it's about as close as you can get to a job for life right now I think, but from what I've heard the burnout rate is horrendous and the education system is struggling to recruit in some subject areas (Maths and Science spring to mind).