Why become a member? ×

Status Quo hanging up their electric guitars

KingPrawn

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1454519051' post='2970457']
Was lucky enough to see them last February at a private 70th birthday party as a surprise for a friend of my Dad's. Apparently the birthday boy's wife paid just short of £300k for 45 mins. Worth every penny though. Bloody brilliant
[/quote]
Astonished - how much ?

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1454505472' post='2970303']
I saw them at Knebworth in 1990. Fantastic set which I really enjoyed.
[/quote]

Ditto! My thirteenth birthday present, first gig. Made cliff Richard look very, very, eye wateringly dull afterwards.

I sneered at the current Quo output until I saw them a while back - mainly because 10cc supported them. Guess what - I was blown away. I saw the "Frantic Four" gig at Wolvo the same year, which was great fun too. I hope this is the last time around for them, as I've seen a few "heritage" acts performing really half-hearted, lacklustre shows. Quo can still deliver, but, with the best will in the world, I'm not sure how much longer they'd be able to do it convincingly. Go out with a bang and enjoy your retirement, gentlemen.

...and Rick Parfitt is up there with Malcolm Young as one of the best rhythm guitar players in Rock and Roll.

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1454531295' post='2970631']
I don't think that can be right, surely. £30K maybe?
[/quote]

Yep I'm informed that total cost was £272k all in. The venue was a stately home in Oxfordshire so they brought everything including the stage, lighting, crew etc. Apparently only possible because they were touring but it was more expensive than previous private gigs as they had to bring the whole lot back from Europe just for the gig.

Edited by mrtcat

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1454533938' post='2970676']

...and Rick Parfitt is up there with Malcolm Young as one of the best rhythm guitar players in Rock and Roll.
[/quote]

At the Frantic reunion tours Mr Parfitt played like a man posssessed & really gone on with it , not much of that pointing & smiling malarky[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1454555100' post='2970818']
Yep I'm informed that total cost was £272k all in. The venue was a stately home in Oxfordshire so they brought everything including the stage, lighting, crew etc. Apparently only possible because they were touring but it was more expensive than previous private gigs as they had to bring the whole lot back from Europe just for the gig.
[/quote]

I suppose that explains it - a bit more complicated than flinging your gear in the car & driving to a pub to share something between £0 - £200 amongst the band!

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1454581259' post='2970932'] a bit more complicated than flinging your gear in the car & driving to a pub [/quote]

I believe for the South American leg of the Dave Gilmour tour they applied for 56 visas for Brazil.

A logistical nightmare. They had guys flying in from the UK and the US and the European leg wasn't much easier.

Saw them 45 hundred times - well lots in the late 70's and early 80's. Fantastic live band then. They played their final gig in 1986 and that was it for me. Then they reformed and it just wasn't the same. Very fond memories of those gigs but for me they returned as a shadow of their former self. The Lancaster/Coughlan partnership was the driving force.

What also needs to be said is what decent guys Mr Rossi & Parfitt are. My mates 15 year-old cousin had cancer (luckily now cured) and met them at one of their shows, along with other such kids, one of those special event sort of things. They spent all day with the kids, not just when the cameras were around, and made them feel really special from what I understand. Thoroughly decent guys, doing something what seems so small, but what meant a great deal to some very sick kids.